UD and the Future of Football

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Re: UD and the Future of Football

Postby UDPat on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:59 pm

joe c wrote:Don't get me started T...Uneffinbvelievable!!! T, It is in pro ball as well brother...You can only throw so many innings, can't pitch on consecutive days. It now starts in youth ball. The funny part is there is more injuries than ever... In my day our top pitcher would throw a double header...Our catcher would man the dish for every inning... Not every body got a trophy or played.. It is so different and soft as a baby's azz..My old football coaches would be in jail today... The do gooders would be in shock on what we were taught...Concussion protocal??????? Yeah Ok...That was " hey 29 are you ok? After you sniffed up smelling salts... After you threw up you were back on field....I realize why but like you said the pussifacatioon is in full force...The NFL is barely watchable
Lets play some Pro Flag football....Every body gets a trophy...Hey HJ, i even hear you have to sit out a softball game if you get a raspberry in game one....lolol I wouldn't change a thing. You know what its about going in... Sports teaches you many life's lessons.... I wish I could go play 2 right now...Never thought I say this but I even miss 2 a days in late August heat....Hey T you can't even do that anymore...No more Bull in the ring drill... You can only hit so many days....

Joe,

Great to hear from you!!

What you said, I sum up,

"The pu$$ification of this once great country"!!!!
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby Baltimore Hen on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 pm

aust42 wrote:
Baltimore Hen wrote:
aust42 wrote:Down here in MD some pussy liberal Democrat lawmaker is introducing a bill to ban kids from playing football until the age of 14. Bill also includes banning heading in soccer and checking in lacrosse. The pussification of America continues. Maybe we should just wrap kids in bubble wrap until their 18 years old.

there are Football players who support the elimination of full contact in football until HS too. Most of these yahoo coaches in youth sports do not know their a$$hole from a hole in the ground when it comes to proper tackling and other safety issues, so the elimination of tackling in football until the kids are older and more physically mature is not a bad idea. and as far as soccer and heading, they have done research that shows heading can lead to concussion symptoms, brain damage, and midlife dementia. If you are an adult and choose to do it great, but as adullts we are responsible for the safety of our kids, so these things that can be controlled in youth sports, should be controlled in youth sports.

So you do support wrapping our children up in bubble wrap until their 18. Put it into law since you know what's best for all of our children including mine. Good thing they started removing Monkey Bars from playgrounds since too many kids were falling and getting boo boo's. Baby steps.

overstepping there aust. Boo Boos on the monkey bars and permanent brain damage are two entirely different things. And no I do not wrap my kids in bubble wrap. But I am not naive to think that in areas where there is obvious poor instruction/coaching and the safety of kids is in question, things should be in place to protect the kids from themselves, inadequate coaches, and overzealous parents. You can choose to look at it how you want, but if you are a parent I would hope the health of your child was more important than your adrenaline fix......
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

UD Class: 0

Postby Baltimore Hen on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:08 pm

joe c wrote:Don't get me started T...Uneffinbvelievable!!! T, It is in pro ball as well brother...You can only throw so many innings, can't pitch on consecutive days. It now starts in youth ball. The funny part is there is more injuries than ever... In my day our top pitcher would throw a double header...Our catcher would man the dish for every inning... Not every body got a trophy or played.. It is so different and soft as a baby's azz..My old football coaches would be in jail today... The do gooders would be in shock on what we were taught...Concussion protocal??????? Yeah Ok...That was " hey 29 are you ok? After you sniffed up smelling salts... After you threw up you were back on field....I realize why but like you said the pussifacatioon is in full force...The NFL is barely watchable
Lets play some Pro Flag football....Every body gets a trophy...Hey HJ, i even hear you have to sit out a softball game if you get a raspberry in game one....lolol I wouldn't change a thing. You know what its about going in... Sports teaches you many life's lessons.... I wish I could go play 2 right now...Never thought I say this but I even miss 2 a days in late August heat....Hey T you can't even do that anymore...No more Bull in the ring drill... You can only hit so many days....

Joe, you know that sports are different now than when you were a kid. People did not specialize in one sport. Youth sports are year round commitments much of the time and these kids are throwing 10-11 months out of the year where in years past baseball was strictly spring summer and the arm got a long rest. The specialization in one spoort is leading to more and more injuries as a result of overuse. One of the greatest HOF Jim Palmer has said as much on multiple occasions. Wayne Gretsky is a big advocate of multisport participation. It is a real issue that is creating the "unexplainable" rash of injuries in todays sports.........
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

Postby aust42 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:39 pm

[quote=there are Football players who support the elimination of full contact in football until HS too. Most of these yahoo coaches in youth sports do not know their a$$hole from a hole in the ground when it comes to proper tackling and other safety issues, so the elimination of tackling in football until the kids are older and more physically mature is not a bad idea. and as far as soccer and heading, they have done research that shows heading can lead to concussion symptoms, brain damage, and midlife dementia. If you are an adult and choose to do it great, but as adullts we are responsible for the safety of our kids, so these things that can be controlled in youth sports, should be controlled in youth sports.[/quote]

So you do support wrapping our children up in bubble wrap until their 18. Put it into law since you know what's best for all of our children including mine. Good thing they started removing Monkey Bars from playgrounds since too many kids were falling and getting boo boo's. Baby steps.[/quote]

overstepping there aust. Boo Boos on the monkey bars and permanent brain damage are two entirely different things. And no I do not wrap my kids in bubble wrap. But I am not naive to think that in areas where there is obvious poor instruction/coaching and the safety of kids is in question, things should be in place to protect the kids from themselves, inadequate coaches, and overzealous parents. You can choose to look at it how you want, but if you are a parent I would hope the health of your child was more important than your adrenaline fix......[/quote]

Banning Monkey Bars and putting into law a ban on kids playing football is not overstepping at all. They are both perfect examples of the Pussification of America.

I coached midget football for three years. The level of hitting is not much greater than a pillow fight. I played football from the time I was 12 until I was 22 years old. I earned a full scholarship to play and I was fortunate enough to have my education paid for because of my physical abilities. Ten years of football cost me a broken wrist, two knee operations, a separated shoulder, and countless other bumps and bruises. Nearly all of these injuries came during my college years when the speed and intensity ticked up a few notches. The lessons I learned from football are priceless. I learned how to compete, be disciplined, work hard, how to lead, how to follow, how to be accountable, how to push others, the value of practice, teamwork, I could go on and on. I learned life skills that many of my peers are still trying to figure out. These are valuable lessons of life you do not get playing any other sport than football.

I don't want to see the Pussy's ban kids from playing football because of their over zealous concern for injuries. My rant is over
aust42

Postby Cluck U on Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:08 pm

aust42 wrote: The lessons I learned from football are priceless. I learned how to compete, be disciplined, work hard, how to lead, how to follow, how to be accountable, how to push others, the value of practice, teamwork, I could go on and on. I learned life skills that many of my peers are still trying to figure out. These are valuable lessons of life you do not get playing any other sport than football.

Well said...except for the part about any other sport than football. I played all the major sports (except hockey), and then added some other competitive sports on top of that. The lessons you mentioned above are all part of most sports' lessons, at least the sports that involve direct teamwork and physical contact (sorry, tennis and curling). Hard work, blood, sweat, working as a team, injuries, discipline, accountability...many of the things that seem to be missing from today's yutes (thanks, Vinny), come from competing with a group of your brothers in taxing environments. I'd even throw in the military services as another example of building camaraderie though stress, toil and hard work.

I any case, you are correct. Kids need to be challenged physically and mentally...they will be better off for it and better prepared for life.
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49, 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 early first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52, 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.
Cluck U

Postby UD27 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:31 am

Attachments
Bubble-Wrap-Kid.jpg
Bubble-Wrap-Kid.jpg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 1518 times
"the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" Winston Churchill
UD27

Postby aust42 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 am

Well Roger Goodell continues to destroy a once great game with another ridiculous rule in the name of safety. That's what the NFL needs for it's ratings free fall. Another ridiculous game changing rule that will be overly enforced with potential re-plays to see if an ejection is warranted. The game has become unwatchable. F Roger Goodell and the NFL.
aust42

Postby joe c on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:09 am

You trying to get me started T....
joe c

Postby Baltimore Hen on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:16 am

aust42 wrote:Well Roger Goodell continues to destroy a once great game with another ridiculous rule in the name of safety. That's what the NFL needs for it's ratings free fall. Another ridiculous game changing rule that will be overly enforced with potential re-plays to see if an ejection is warranted. The game has become unwatchable. F Roger Goodell and the NFL.

well, your opinion, but the VERY REAL truth is that head injury is a major problem in football. Concussion effects are more debilitating as life goes on that other physical injuries.....your brain goes, little else matters. The NFL is facing multiple lawsuits regarding head njury and would be foolish NOT to address it on the field. At the end of the day your assessment that the game will be unwatchable without players leading with their heads? no, there are plenty of other real reasons the game is becoming unwatchable.....mainly super slo mo replay and the time for reviews........defenders not being able to cover a receiver without an interference penalty.....etc......the head as a weapon is not "part of the game". It is a product of the ESPN "look at me" highlight generation.
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

Postby joe c on Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 am

You must have been a soccer player Balti...lol but Good points...
joe c

Postby aust42 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:41 pm

Baltimore Hen your soft. Going forward have the players sign waivers and keep the scum Attorneys at bay. It's a gladiator sport. Leave us alone. I agree there are multiple reasons whey the game has become unwatchable this new rule is just the straw that broke the Camels back.

Are you excited about the Rams hiring two male cheerleaders?
aust42

Postby aust42 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:53 pm

This Barstool post about the new NFL rule sums it up. I'm fcking depressed. My beloved game has been destroyed. I hope Roger Goodell gets struck by lightning.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/barstool ... -penalties
aust42

Postby tenn hen on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:02 pm

I have to say I'm unhappy with the constant stoppages for long periods with instant replays in MANY sports. Basketball may be becoming the worst when the refs spent 5-10 minutes when the game has already been decided just to"clarify" an issue with the clock. Let it go. I respect the guys that ref but,man oh man, u wouldn't catch me as a zebra for trinket pay!

the helmet issue is a tough one that probably can't be solved unless .......... no clue :D
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby aust42 on Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:47 pm

tenn hen wrote:I have to say I'm unhappy with the constant stoppages for long periods with instant replays in MANY sports. Basketball may be becoming the worst when the refs spent 5-10 minutes when the game has already been decided just to"clarify" an issue with the clock. Let it go. I respect the guys that ref but,man oh man, u wouldn't catch me as a zebra for trinket pay!

the helmet issue is a tough one that probably can't be solved unless .......... no clue :D

There was a good segment on ESPN last night talking about MLB replays and how it's taken away the always entertaining Manager/Ump arguments after a controversial call. No more Lou Piniela, Billy Martin, Earl Weaver etc. managers storming out of the dug out to argue a bad call with the Ump. The Earl Weaver rant is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpS-XFXxJvE

I agree with John Gruden. Do away with replays and let the Ref's do their job. Sure their gonna blow a call every now and then but that's life. We all get screwed every now then but that's just life. You deal with and overcome it.
aust42

Postby bluehenbillk on Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:29 pm

It’s similar to the college targeting rule and we all enjoy college football, no big deal.
Delaware Football 1889-2013
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

PreviousNext

Return to The Hen House