Targeting Change

General squawk about Fightin' BlueHen Football. Open for all to view. Membership required to post.

Targeting Change

Postby Henzone on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:35 am

The Scoop:

The AFCA closed its 2019 convention on Wednesday with executive director Todd Berry’s annual press conference, following a multi-hour meeting with FBS head coaches. It’s when Berry lays out the organization’s legislative agenda for the upcoming year, and the top line item for 2019 is the targeting rule.

In short, just like fans, coaches are tired of seeing targeting misdemeanors treated like felonies, and now they’d like to see the NCAA do something about it.

The AFCA would like to see the NCAA install a red card/yellow card system to the targeting penalty. A Targeting 1 call would be the yellow card, calling for a 15-yard penalty and allowing the offending player to remain in the game. A Targeting 2 flag would carry the same punishment as the current rule, where the player is removed from the remainder of the game as well as the first half of his next game if the foul occurs in the second half.

Importantly, Berry did not market this agenda as a softening of the targeting rule, just adding some common sense to a necessary rule. To back that up, he said coaches would like to see players be suspended if they receive multiple Targeting 2 flags.
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Re: Targeting Change

Postby tenn hen on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 am

Thought- just think- American football can adopt the World's soccer yellow and red flag concept :lol: :wink: I like the concept for both, but distinquishing between the two levels will be another issue in itself.

the targeting rule is one difficult rule to deal with as it's necessary to protect the players and another to keep the game moving. With the reviewing rule in effect so often(even when totally unnecessary), the game is slowing down to a snail's pace alrady and becoming a distraction at times. It's like bball with the refs taking over the game! Nothing will satisfy all watchers anyway. Good Luck
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby joe c on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 am

Boy do I hope so...I was talking w Coach Mike about this and we were saying they have to change this rule...In many cases the offensive players initiates the hit and they throw the defensive player out of the game.. We both said it should be a 15 yarder and no ejection...In some cases it is warranted but in many it is not...In other cases its the offensive player lowers his head to a charging defenseman and there is nothing he can do... To me this would be the way to go...I hope they change it....
joe c

Postby bluehenbillk on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:48 pm

If it's the "defenseless receiver" toss them. Everything else flag 15 & move on.
#SaveThePeeWall
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Return to The Hen House