NCAA LAX TOURNAMENT 2018

Discussion of Men's & Women's Lacrosse.

NCAA LAX TOURNAMENT 2018

Postby tenn hen on Fri May 11, 2018 5:40 pm

starts tomorrow with the round of 16- 4 games Sat. and Sun.. Looking at all the "local" teams in the event hurts,esp our rival Villanova,plus............. I expect a great, exciting series of games as most of the teams are pretty close in their chances of claiming a championship.
DeLuca worked hard and came close. Next year it will happen. The future I expect will enfold well for UD as it should. We certainly have a great Univ. and excellent(to be vastly improved) facilities to go along with our proximity to most of the best LAX players. In DeLuca we trust!!!
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Re: NCAA LAX TOURNAMENT 2018

Postby 77HEN on Sun May 13, 2018 11:25 pm

There were quite a few entertaining games this weekend. Would be great to see UD get back to the dance. It seems a mighty fine line between being a playoff team vs just "a tough opponent".
77HEN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Scott on Mon May 14, 2018 12:14 pm

77HEN wrote:There were quite a few entertaining games this weekend. Would be great to see UD get back to the dance. It seems a mighty fine line between being a playoff team vs just "a tough opponent".

Delaware has a ways to go to get to the "tough opponent" level on both the men's and women's side. I think the men are getting there and the women can get there as well with a coaching change.
Scott

Postby LILax on Tue May 15, 2018 5:19 pm

The Men's lacrosse program is definitely on the rise. The team is only losing two players from this year's squad - Eric Giannetti and Will Hirschmann. When you say "only" about Will Hirschmann it is a bit of an understatement. Will was the leader on this squad on and off the field and was arguably the team's best midfielder. However, there is plenty of talent returning and quite a few incoming freshman that should make an impact with this squad. But he will definitely be missed.

The defense for the Hens this year was a work in progress. With all three previous year starters gone by the fourth game of the season, DeLuca had to mix and match the roster to get the right mix. I believe he ended with what could be the top defensive unit in the CAA next year. At Close defense the Hens return Austin Haynes (Sr), Liam Duff (Soph) and Zach Strassner (Jr.). They will also have AJ Hoffman back for his sophomore year off the bench as a fourth option. At LSM, UD returns Ryan Shaw and Connor Sorg who both improved exponentially in year two at UD. They also have depth off the bench with Drew Silvera who will be back for his Jr year. At SSDM the Hens are DEEP. They have Steven Tortora (Jr.), Thomas Aloe (Jr.), Rhett Schweitzer (Jr.),Peter St. Geme (So) and returning from injury, their top SSDM from 2017 Alex Brunner (RS Sr.). And of course, the Hens get the big guy back in net. Matt DeLuca made all CAA 2nd team this year and will probably be the top goalie in conference next year.

The midfield will be a work in progress of sorts. I would expect Dean DiSimone and Bryce Reid to be starters on this unit. It is unclear whether 6th year senior Finigan will also be a starter. He struggled a bit with his shot this year shooting in the teens and didn't quite seem recovered from multiple knee surgeries, but who knows. I would guess that Peter St. Geme would get a look at starter as would Senior Jake Stanford. There are also three freshman that might get a look at this position. There is a dynamite middie from northern Virginia named Kyle Kivinski arriving in Sept. He has the size and speed to have a chance to breakthrough. Also coming in from Radnor High School in PA is Connor Pierce. He scored 30 goals in each of the last two seasons for a pretty good team in a competitive league. 6 ' 3" 190 - he has the size and athleticism to get a look. And finally there is a midfielder from John Jay HS in NY named Thomas Beeby who looks pretty slick. Only have seen him play once. But he looked good.

The attack is all back. Bieda (So), Kitchen (Jr) and Eisele (Sr.) are all back from probably the top attack unit in the CAA.

Finally, the FOGOs are both back. I would expect these guys to be the in .500 range again this year and that is a good thing. With the prolific offense the Hens have along with a much-improved defense, possessions will be key to a winning season.

Four months till fall ball. Enjoy the summer.
LILax

UD Class: 1987

Postby Scott on Wed May 16, 2018 11:56 am

LILax...Thanks for the in depth preview of next year's squad.
Scott

Postby UDPat on Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Not much of a lacrosse guy, but the update is appreciated.

Never followed lacrosse in any way but my freshmen year @UD I lived right next door to a freshmen goalie from Nyack NY . He was a great guy and I believe an AA his senior year( I may be wrong).

Jimmy Rourke
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby tenn hen on Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 am

LILAX----Fabulous, as usual, informative post. U r our resident genius and proud to have a guy so knowledgeable. Thanks mucho

The Tournament so far is great. I caught the 4th quarters of all the games. Hopkins came back as I figured. No surprise with their history and talent.

Looking forward to the next series of games as they move toward Memorial Day weekend.
tenn hen

Postby UDForever on Thu May 17, 2018 11:52 am

LI, don’t follow lacrosse much but you do an outstanding job. Question for you. Is this recruiting class coming in Shillinglaw recruits or more DeLuca recruits? Not sure how early lacrosse guys commit. I’m more familiar with baseball and most guys commit junior year so it’d still be the previous coaches recruits, assuming the new guy holds onto them. Thanks.
UDForever

Postby LILax on Thu May 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Recruiting in lacrosse today is different from when Shills was running the show just a year ago. The rules changed so that coaches cannot commit a player before September of his junior year. The trend was going in the other direction to the point of absurdity when Virginia was committing 8th graders. That early recruiting trend never worked in UD's favor. Delaware received verbal commitments from two players in 9th grade that ended up getting poached by Syracuse and Ohio State. It still drives me crazy to see Canadian Tre LeClair light it up for Ohio State (leading scorer his first two years) and Oregon superstar Tucker Dordevic be the leading freshman scorer at Syracuse this year. Oh well. With early recruitment a thing of the past we should see less of that.

That said Shills and Co still have some guys on the table that were early commits before the rule change. Specifically, the Hens will await the arrival of '19 Michael Robinson from the top HS program in the US, Culver Academy in Indiana. Robinson is from Peterborough, Ont., the home of legendary Hen John Grant Jr. committed as a 9th grader. From all indications Robinson will be a star from day one at UD. But we have another year to wait.

Next year's class includes a combination of Shill's recruits and DeLuca's. They also have had one recruit drop out as a result of the coaching change (Kevin Sheehan from West Genessee HS in NY is now committed to play for his dad the long-time coach at D2 LeMoyne College). The Shill's recruits include Jake Govett from Colorado. Jake is a tall skinny attackman whose father was a professional player and now the GM of the San Diego Seals in the indoor league. Jake scored 70 goals over his sophomore and junior years and I believe has over 40 this year. Shill's recruiting holdovers also include defenseman Blake Cagen from San Diego who is an All-American in California. Another is Clayton Miller a diminutive attackman from Cumberland Valley HS in PA. That is not a traditionally strong high school program or league, but Clayton had over 100 points in is junior year and is lighting it up again this year. The other Shills holdover recruits are Tommy Beeby (Mid)from John Jay in NY, George Ward (att) from McDonogh, Justin Aimone (mid) from Hunterdon in NJ and Mason Marano a FOGO from Greenhill Texas. Not sure about any of these guys and not sure any will see playing time freshman year.

DeLuca's recruits for next season are three big athletic middies from Virginia, Kyle Kivinski, Radnor PA, Connor Pierce and Ontario Canada Tye Kurtz (Whose brother Reed is also coming next year - Reed is a Canadian Stud at Midfield). DeLuca also picked up a really solid Canadian LSM from the Everest Academy named Owen Grant. Grant committed to Cornell and changed his commitment before this season. He might have been challenged to get in academically and rather than PG for a year chose to play for DeLuca at UD.

I would also expect DeLuca to bring in a transfer or two. With only 10 freshman arrivals and 2 graduating players that would only get the roster up to 44 players before any other defections, which will inevitably happen. They played most of this year with 32 players dressed and that was less than ideal.
LILax

Postby BlueHenBill on Thu May 17, 2018 1:35 pm

LiLax, Where can I find Men's Lax recruiting info (like Verbal Commits for Men's Basketball) and rankings of recruiting classes? I know that these rankings are subjective but at least they would give us an idea as to how UD stacks up against top programs and area and CAA rivals.

Sure hope that incoming recruit Mason Marano is a good one who has the skills to play early because UD sure needs help at faceoff.

Does UD have quality depth behind DeLuca at Goalie?
BlueHenBill

Postby UDForever on Thu May 17, 2018 1:59 pm

LI, what a great and detailed post. Thank you. As a high school coach who deals with recruiting a lot, I like that rule change a lot. Should benefit both the schools and the respective athletes being recruited as well. Sounds like a small but pretty decent class coming in.
UDForever

Postby LILax on Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:LiLax, Where can I find Men's Lax recruiting info (like Verbal Commits for Men's Basketball) and rankings of recruiting classes? I know that these rankings are subjective but at least they would give us an idea as to how UD stacks up against top programs and area and CAA rivals.

Sure hope that incoming recruit Mason Marano is a good one who has the skills to play early because UD sure needs help at faceoff.

Does UD have quality depth behind DeLuca at Goalie?

BHB, not really sure where you’d find recruit ratings. Most committed recruits are listed on Laxpower.com under the recruits search section. Inside Lacrosse rates top 100 guys but that list is not that accurate. It’s hit or miss.

UD struggled against two fogos this year. Noah Rak from UMass and Alex Woodall are two of the top 10 fogos in D1 lacrosse. Tough to compete with those guys. I would not expect Marano to challenge them. UD was about .500 between Lenskold and Hervada. They were not the reason for the 6-8 record. Defense has to tighten up.

Behind DeLuca in net the Hens have two decent goalies. Nothing to worry about for another two years. :D
LILax

Postby Section J on Fri May 18, 2018 7:02 am

KUdos LILAX
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
Section J

UD Class: 1983

Postby dchen on Sat May 19, 2018 10:27 pm

UD struggled against two fogos this year. Noah Rak from UMass and Alex Woodall are two of the top 10 fogos in D1 lacrosse. Tough to compete with those guys. I would not expect Marano to challenge them. UD was about .500 between Lenskold and Hervada. They were not the reason for the 6-8 record. Defense has to tighten up.

I've got to think that winning only about 5 FO in the playoff game with Towson had to have been a factor.
dchen

UD Class: 1972

Postby tenn hen on Mon May 21, 2018 9:57 am

darn good quaterfinals as the seeding committee proved their mettle with the 4 top seeds advancing.
Looking forward the Memorial weekend semis and final Monday at 1:00.
tenn hen

Next

Return to Lacrosse