High School Lax

Discussion of Men's & Women's Lacrosse.

High School Lax

Postby Henzone on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:10 am

I watched the CR- Sallies championship for my 1st high school lax game of the year. Super game.

Player of the year Hobbs is unfortunately headed to Penn State.

Sallies had the highest rated schedule in the country.

Sallies beat the eventual National Champ, The Hill. earlier in the season.
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Re: High School Lax

Postby LILax on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:57 pm

Salesianum had a pretty tough schedule for Delaware teams but is was FAR from the highest rated in the country. Not sure where you got that information from. They only played one team in the top 25 in the nation (Malvern Prep #12) and lost by 2.

There are teams in the top 20 that played between five and eight games against top 25 nationally ranked teams. An example of this is Malvern Prep who played Calvert Hall (#8), Delbarton (#7), Haverford TWICE (#15) and LaSalle College HS (#19). Or how about Haverford, they played 8 games against top 25 nationally ranked teams, Malvern Prep TWICE (#12), Boys Latin (#13), Culver Academy (#4), St. Anthony's (#14), LaSalle College (#19), McDonogh (#16)and Landon (#24). There is no way that Sallies schedule was the highest rated in the country. If I spent more time, I could find at least 20 schools with tougher schedules than Sallies including Chaminade, St. Anthony's, Calvert Hall, Culver Academy, Hill Academy, Darien, Boys Latin, Yorktown, Ward Melville...

And most importantly, the Hill Academy that won the National Championship was the not the Hill Academy team that Sallies beat. That was the HIll Academy II which is essentially the Hill Academy JV team that went 8-2 losing to Sallies by 1 and to Paul VI in Virginia by 4. It is not that they are a bad team, they are just not the team that won the mythical Geico National Championship by beating Culver and Salisbury last week.

All that said, Salesianum is a very deep and talented team who had a great season. They continue to churn out D 1 prospects every year and that is a good thing. The last to attend UD, Luke Bianchino, quit after one year of not playing. Oh well.
LILax

UD Class: 1987

Postby Henzone on Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:03 pm

On June 4th Laxpower.com listed the Sals as having the #1 schedule in the country. So, I'm not sure how FAR they are or aren't from that position but I'm just passing along some info that seemed to be from a reliable source.

As for Hill Academy II that was indeed my error , not knowing they had a suffix which meant they were not the top banana.

I was impressed with the Sals on Monday and proud that a local team seems to be considered in the national discussion.

Keep your eye on Hobbs at Penn State in the coming years. He would have made a great Hen.
Henzone

Postby Section J on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:12 am

Does Sallies even play enough in state schools to qualify for the state championship? I thought there was a minimum.

In DE HS lax it is the haves: Sallies, CR, Cape, Friends, Appo and the everybody else as the have-nots.
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
Section J

UD Class: 1983

Postby dovetail on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:49 am

Henzone wrote:On June 4th Laxpower.com listed the Sals as having the #1 schedule in the country. So, I'm not sure how FAR they are or aren't from that position but I'm just passing along some info that seemed to be from a reliable source.

As for Hill Academy II that was indeed my error , not knowing they had a suffix which meant they were not the top banana.

I was impressed with the Sals on Monday and proud that a local team seems to be considered in the national discussion.

Keep your eye on Hobbs at Penn State in the coming years. He would have made a great Hen.

I saw that rating also. I think it has something to do with a team's Laxpower strength rating vs that of its opponents. Over the past few years, the Sals have gone from a local schedule to a regional one but they have played teams like Contra Costa California, Culver, and Hill as well as other schools from North Carolina, New York and Florida. As far as Delaware is concerned, they only play the best where possible. There is a great inbalance in H.S lax in Delaware and even more so on the girls side. I think Cape Henlopen has won the girls lax tourney ten years in a row and few of those games were even close.
"IRWT", In Rocco We Trust
dovetail

UD Class: 1966

Postby Henzone on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:33 am

Sallies is in a tough situation in that it has 1100 boys, many from Pa, Nj & Md, which makes it very difficult for the local high schools to be competitive with them in any sports. Add the fact that many of the area schools don't even play lax and they really are forced to seek out of state games.
Henzone

Postby Section J on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Henzone wrote:Sallies is in a tough situation in that it has 1100 boys, many from Pa, Nj & Md, which makes it very difficult for the local high schools to be competitive with them in any sports. Add the fact that many of the area schools don't even play lax and they really are forced to seek out of state games.

Sallies in a tough situation, :roll:
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
Section J

UD Class: 1983

Postby LILax on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:25 pm

In the interest of fair reporting. Since my last post about the relative strength of the Salesianum schedule, I noticed that Garden City went on a crazy run on its way to the NY Class B championship last week and a top 20 ranking nationally. This put Garden City as the number 16 team in the country with a bullet. Sallies had a very good early season showing against GC losing 7-4. That is very respectable against a traditional Long Island powerhouse.

Sallies went from being a very good Delaware program ten years ago, to a team that can hang with virtually any high school program in the country. Not saying that they always win (they did beat a very good Fairfield Prep team last year), but they are generally competitive.

Again, if you read my last post, I was not really trying to disparage Sallies schedule. I was simply questioning the reporting from Laxpower that they played the hardest schedule of any High School program. I am sure they do their best to bring on the best, but they only play three or four games each year against top-level competition. You can only get so many great teams on the schedule every year.
LILax

UD Class: 1987

Return to Lacrosse