NCAA Lax National THread

Discussion of Men's & Women's Lacrosse.

NCAA Lax National THread

Postby Scott on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:40 pm

I thought I would start a thread for discussion of National NCAA Lacrosse in addition to our Blue Hen game threads.

Sat 2/10 had a few interesting results.

There were two CAA teams that pulled upsets of ranked teams as Towson beat #7 Johns Hopkins 17-8 and Hofstra beat #13 Lehigh 4-3.

I attended the most significant game of the day as #4 Loyola crushed #6 Virginia in front of 2,500 fans in Baltimore. Jacob Stover, who can be inconsistent, was excellent in goal for the Greyhounds as he was in their NCAA loss in the q-finals to Yale last season and Pat Spencer was Pat Spencer with a few jaw dropping moments. Loyola graduated several close defenders from last years team and I expected Virginia's high octane offense to score 15+ goals but Loyola's defense was solid with freshman Cam Wyers looking like a future All-American.
Scott

Re: NCAA Lax National THread

Postby Scott on Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:47 pm

I enjoy reading Quint Kessenich's weekly rankings each Monday in season...https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -men/53783
Scott

Postby UDPat on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Scott wrote:I thought I would start a thread for discussion of National NCAA Lacrosse in addition to our Blue Hen game threads.

Sat 2/10 had a few interesting results.

There were two CAA teams that pulled upsets of ranked teams as Towson beat #7 Johns Hopkins 17-8 and Hofstra beat #13 Lehigh 4-3.

I attended the most significant game of the day as #4 Loyola crushed #6 Virginia in front of 2,500 fans in Baltimore. Jacob Stover, who can be inconsistent, was excellent in goal for the Greyhounds as he was in their NCAA loss in the q-finals to Yale last season and Pat Spencer was Pat Spencer with a few jaw dropping moments. Loyola graduated several close defenders from last years team and I expected Virginia's high octane offense to score 15+ goals but Loyola's defense was solid with freshman Cam Wyers looking like a future All-American.

Not much of a Lacrose guy but was friends with Jimmy Rourke way back when He was a goalie for the Hens!! He lived in the room right next door as freshmen
But I am friends thru poker with a young man who played for Towson, still bugs him his senior year was the year the Hens went to the Final Four. Also his younger brother was a goalie for Loyola, his senior year was the year before Loyola won the NC. My understanding is their dad is very well known in Harford County when it comes to lacrose
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!
UDPat

Postby Scott on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:11 am

UDPat...the goalie that you are referring to was part of the recovery from the Bill Dirrigl coaching disaster at Loyola. He was a solid goalie but I always got a chuckle out of how mad he'd get at his defense when he felt that their errors led to a goal. He didn't have the temperament of the typical goalie.
Scott

Postby UDPat on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:34 pm

Scott wrote:UDPat...the goalie that you are referring to was part of the recovery from the Bill Dirrigl coaching disaster at Loyola. He was a solid goalie but I always got a chuckle out of how mad he'd get at his defense when he felt that their errors led to a goal. He didn't have the temperament of the typical goalie.

I did not know him but I did get to know his brother very well. His brother was much more low key.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!
UDPat

Postby Scott on Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:50 pm

Quint mentions the Hens early on in this article in his list of "Up Next" teams, meaning teams that were just outside of his Top 20.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ntum/53837

In the latest poll, Towson is #7 with the Hens, Hofstra and Drexel among those receiving votes.

Towson hosts #1 Loyola tonight.
Scott

Postby Maineroad on Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:31 pm

Have not gotten a chance to see Towson yet, but those results are eye-opening. Really like Ohio State's team. Albany is a mess. Ivy, in general, might be down a little (or more) this year. High Point is legit. Still need to see what Hop can do in a game played on an actual field. Good test this weekend. I like Princeton, but have a feeling Hop is going to have the ball a lot. Lax Lines put up Nova -1.5 this weekend. I can't believe that's right. I think the Hens have a shot. but that seems light.
Maineroad

Postby Scott on Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:15 am

Maineroad wrote:Have not gotten a chance to see Towson yet, but those results are eye-opening. Really like Ohio State's team. Albany is a mess. Ivy, in general, might be down a little (or more) this year. High Point is legit. Still need to see what Hop can do in a game played on an actual field. Good test this weekend. I like Princeton, but have a feeling Hop is going to have the ball a lot. Lax Lines put up Nova -1.5 this weekend. I can't believe that's right. I think the Hens have a shot. but that seems light.

I streamed the Towson-Loyola game on Wed and Towson looks solid. Nadelin teams usually play good defense and they often went zone to shut down Pat Spencer who had only one goal but 3-4 assists. Loyola also played zone and when you combine that with all of the turnovers both squads committed, especially on the clearing opportunities, it was not a pretty game to watch. I guess that is to be expected with a cold night, midweek, early in the season.

Woodall dominated the faceoffs. I believe he went 20-26 and that is after losing I believe the first two. Their goalie was tremendous including several point blank stops. If Towson hadn't hit so many pipes in the 1st quarter, this could have been a 5+ goal victory. Then again, had those shots been goals it may have led to Loyola playing man to man and there may have been some more action.
Scott

Postby Scott on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Scott

Postby Scott on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:21 pm

The Hens are receiving votes in the latest Inside Lacrosse poll coming in at #27.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/DI/polls
Scott

Postby Scott on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:48 am

Quint's Top 20...https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... n-tv/54081

I watched the final 6 mins or so of the Syracuse comeback win over Duke. I turned it on with the Orange down 8-4 with six mins left and the announcers were mentioning the Syracuse fans leaving as they thought the game was over. What a comeback they made, winning 9-8 in OT. If I had to predict who will win the title this year, I would pick Duke regardless of their win/loss record.
Scott

Postby Maineroad on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Duke dominated that game, but forgot to win it. I'd probably agree that Duke would be my front-runner. I really like Loyola and Penn, and the Devils beat both of them like they weren't even there. I haven't seen Ohio State, and have hardly seen Maryland - and when I did, they were losing to a meh ND team. Penn State looks like the real deal, but will probably find a way to flame-out. Yale isn't what it was, but has Ierlan at the X. I don't take UJVa seriously, but they do have a lot of fun offensive toys. Towson? Maybe they're just worn down from rugged early sked.
Maineroad

Postby Scott on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:21 pm

Maineroad wrote:Duke dominated that game, but forgot to win it. I'd probably agree that Duke would be my front-runner. I really like Loyola and Penn, and the Devils beat both of them like they weren't even there. I haven't seen Ohio State, and have hardly seen Maryland - and when I did, they were losing to a meh ND team. Penn State looks like the real deal, but will probably find a way to flame-out. Yale isn't what it was, but has Ierlan at the X. I don't take UJVa seriously, but they do have a lot of fun offensive toys. Towson? Maybe they're just worn down from rugged early sked.

I have not seen Penn or Ohio State so I can't really comment on them but I watched the entire Duke-Loyola game and Loyola got dominated as you said. When Loyola was on offense, Duke came up with almost every ground ball. I have seen Loyola a lot and I am not sold on their defense and Savio is their only faceoff guy and he can struggle. In their tourney losses the last two years, the offense was awful. Perhaps freshman Scanlon will help open things up in the tourney this year but I am taking a wait and see approach.
Scott

Postby Scott on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Good recap of Saturday's games including a little blurb about the Hens.

If you click on the link, be sure to watch Pat Spencer's goal in the video at the top of the page.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... aces/54194
Scott

Next

Return to Lacrosse