Season in Jeopardy

Discussion of Men's & Women's Lacrosse.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Lacrosse to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Maineroad

Re: Season in Jeopardy

Post by Maineroad » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:31 pm

This was coming. I was hoping we could squeeze in the Hens (+2.5) women's lax game at Louisville today, but I'm not surprised. Whether it all makes sense, who knows, but it does seem like countries that took extreme measures seem to be doing better than ones that didn't. My question is when does "movie season" or "concert season," or "singles bar on a Friday night" season gets cancelled? Either this all matters, or it doesn't.
Last edited by Maineroad on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

CapeHen
UD Class: 2019

Post by CapeHen » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Now the big question becomes eligibility for next year. I would really be upset for guys like Charlie Kitchen and Matt Deluca (and the program) if they have their careers come to an end like this.

Maineroad

Post by Maineroad » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:41 pm

Lots to work out, but I suspect they'll get their years. How THIS year's stats are going to count and such will have to be cleaned up. I suspect they'll wind up boing wiped altogether. Who knows. Uncharted territory. It sucks, because we'd have killed Hopkins, which would have been fun.

CapeHen

Post by CapeHen » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:48 pm

If they do get to come back though, that will have some major implications on next year. Lots of recruits coming in expecting the current seniors to not be there. That is for sure what the coaching staff was planning on. This is a very tricky situation with lots of different parts. It will be very interesting to see what happens.

I agree. It would have been fun to play Hopkins and Towson this year and get wins against them.

Maineroad

Post by Maineroad » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:55 pm

Yup; it's a legit disaster. The Hen women graduate EVERYONE up front. I'm sure there they have a gaggle of frosh-to-be expecting to walk into significant time. Actually, given anticipated Hen losses, another transition year might really be a blessing for them.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:35 pm

Henweigh wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:10 am
Devil's advocate here. So, if they already live together, what is the harm if they play and practice together?
Well they don't live with coaches, support staff, & officials. Students will be taking on-line classes and many will be going home. The goal is to minimize social interaction to the bare minimum to reduce the spread of the viral infection as much as possible and to spread it out so that our health care systme which is poorly prepared to adequately deal with epidemics/pandemics doesn't get overwhelmed with a large number of serioulsy ill folks at the same time.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:38 pm

Maineroad wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:41 am
Serious question: How is attending a lacrosse game at Delaware Stadium (assuming folks are required to spread out; and god knows there's room to spread out at Delaware lacrosse games) any different from, say, walking down the street?
It isn't any different from walking down the street. The goal is to minimize social interaction to the bare minimum to reduce the spread of the viral infection as much as possible and to spread it out so that our health care system which is poorly prepred to adequately deal with epidemics/pandemics doesn't get overwhelmed with a large number of serioulsy ill folks at the same time.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:42 pm

I wonder if and how coaches for all sports will be able to recruit incoming FR and transfers for 2020-2021 & beyond?

wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

Post by wacko4flacco » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:38 pm

I think the chances of the season continuing are about 3%.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

CapeHen

Post by CapeHen » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Season officially cancelled. Not only the season, but all recruiting as well.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:24 pm

CapeHen wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:23 pm
Season officially cancelled. Not only the season, but all recruiting as well.
I believe that only all "in-person" recruiting has been indefinitely suspended. Presumably all remote means (face timing, facebooking, twitter, instagram, & email) may be used until the suspension of "in-person" recruiting is lifted.