Baseball 2019

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General

Re: Baseball 2019

Postby East Coaster on Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:23 pm

Another loss to the Fairfield Stags today. There has been no help out of the bullpen for Walter and Ludman. Before the season started, it looked like the pitching staff was going to be OK, but the staff ERA thus far is 7.90. Is Sullivan out for the year? They could really use him.Transfer Goan was supposed to be the cleanup man and help with power, but he has been struggling. You never know with baseball - maybe they can turn it around.
East Coaster

UD Class: 1900

Postby East Coaster on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:25 am

John Marti, a transfer from Lafayette, has been added to the roster. He as not there at the beginning of the season. He was a first team Patriot League player last year, batting .303 overall and leading the conference in conference only stats at .348.
East Coaster

Postby UDFootballFan on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:00 pm

What word would sum up this Season so far??

For me its a few - disappointing, under achieving are two. This weekend I was hoping to get at least two out of 3 instead of 1 out of 3. Lets hope they can rally and get on a roll soon.

Does anyone know why they haven't had the same lineup all year? Its like Sherman is trying to figure out pieces instead of trying to get some kids consistency.
UDFootballFan

Postby Baltimore Hen on Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:47 pm

UDFootballFan wrote:What word would sum up this Season so far??

For me its a few - disappointing, under achieving are two. This weekend I was hoping to get at least two out of 3 instead of 1 out of 3. Lets hope they can rally and get on a roll soon.

Does anyone know why they haven't had the same lineup all year? Its like Sherman is trying to figure out pieces instead of trying to get some kids consistency.

not so much a word, but a phrase.......

Fire Jim Sherman.......

He has been here long enough and has never been able to get any momentum. The facilities are top notch.....TIme to get a winner in the dugout!
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

UD Class: 0

Postby Hengrad07 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Baltimore Hen wrote:
UDFootballFan wrote:What word would sum up this Season so far??

not so much a word, but a phrase.......

Fire Jim Sherman.......

He has been here long enough and has never been able to get any momentum. The facilities are top notch.....TIme to get a winner in the dugout!

REALLY - So you're gonna fire a UD Legend & Hall of Famer?? if things don't turn around by year end, let him retire as Coach & give him a cushy job in the Athletic Dept. My Dad played LL with Jimmy & believes he turns 60 later this year.
Hengrad07

UD Class: 2007

Postby HENJOHN on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:53 pm

He recently turned 59. Hopefully we pick things up here soon.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Baltimore Hen on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Hengrad07 wrote:

REALLY - So you're gonna fire a UD Legend & Hall of Famer?? if things don't turn around by year end, let him retire as Coach & give him a cushy job in the Athletic Dept. My Dad played LL with Jimmy & believes he turns 60 later this year.

Since when did being a UD hall of Famer and alum make you untouchable? KC Keeler Won a NC as a player and as a coach and was fired 2 years removed from the National Championship game. He is an average coach. His teams average a 4th or worse finish in the CAA. THe days of a lifetime job for non rev coaches should be over. Shillinglaw was long past his time. Sherman needs to be politely shown the door. by no means should his alumni status be reason to keep him....
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

Postby Hengrad07 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:38 pm

Baltimore Hen wrote:
Hengrad07 wrote:

Since when did being a UD hall of Famer and alum make you untouchable? KC Keeler Won a NC as a player and as a coach and was fired 2 years removed from the National Championship game. He is an average coach. His teams average a 4th or worse finish in the CAA. THe days of a lifetime job for non rev coaches should be over. Shillinglaw was long past his time. Sherman needs to be politely shown the door. by no means should his alumni status be reason to keep him....

Glad to hear you want to fire a coach who has given almost his entire life to this University in Mid-Season?
Hengrad07

Postby Baltimore Hen on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Hengrad07 wrote:
Baltimore Hen wrote:
Hengrad07 wrote:

Glad to hear you want to fire a coach who has given almost his entire life to this University in Mid-Season?

I did not say fire him today, but after the season he should be shown the door. since joining the CAA his conference -record is 211-220.....again, KC was unceremoniously dismissed two years removed from his third NC game. Sherman is overmatched in the CAA. Say thank you for your service and move on.
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

Postby Hengrad07 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Can you Read??? Who did your parents pay to get you into college? :roll:

I said: "if things don't turn around by year end, let him retire as Coach & give him a cushy job in the Athletic Dept."

#ByeFelicia
Hengrad07

Postby Baltimore Hen on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:06 pm

Hengrad07 wrote:Can you Read??? Who did your parents pay to get you into college? :roll:

I said: "if things don't turn around by year end, let him retire as Coach & give him a cushy job in the Athletic Dept."

#ByeFelicia

If he wants to retire at years end, great. if not he has to go regardless. So give him the option to "retire" (private firing) or not retire (public firing). I believe the "retire" option is the one Shillinglaw took. But I doubt he will retire voluntarily, so he will have to be fired....whether public or private.....#ByeA$$
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

Postby UDFootballFan on Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:46 am

Based on a his recent twitter post it sounds like Billy Sullivan is going to have TJ and be done for this year and probably some of next year.

In regards to yesterdays game, our bullpen got rocked again. Its going to be a long long season.

As far as the posts to let Sherman go, I agree on some points. Do we need a change? Yes but unlike a lot of sports, college baseball is hard to make changes in season. I would wait, give him a nice package and corner office in the Carpenter Sports Building.
UDFootballFan

Postby badassmotherclucker on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:06 pm

LOL @ the bickering on here about Sherman.
badassmotherclucker

Postby East Coaster on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:11 pm

Nothing against Goldey Beacom, but the baseball team should not have them on the schedule. It's bad enough scheduling them once, but twice? They are on two completely different levels, even with this being a down year for Delaware. Same goes for the basketball team looking for an easy win. Good thing the Lightning doesn't have a football team, or we would probably be watching them in Newark too.
East Coaster

Postby badassmotherclucker on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:12 pm

Probably not. Rocco doesn’t need to pad his resume facing D2 teams.
badassmotherclucker

PreviousNext

Return to The Barnyard