Baseball 2019

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
UDFootballFan
UD Class: 1900

Baseball 2019

Post by UDFootballFan » Sun May 06, 2018 1:26 pm

So next year they have 4 quality starters [assuming B Walt gets healthy]....They have Sullivan and Ludman this year with Dubecq joining them. All three from St Marks.

Add in the midweek starters of Haass, Allen and Ryan.

HenFanatic

Re: Baseball 2019

Post by HenFanatic » Sun May 06, 2018 1:57 pm

And I believe Joey Silan from Caravel as well

BlueHenForLife

Post by BlueHenForLife » Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 am

Don't forget about Kyle Hinton. He's had a good year so far, he's a junior and should be back next year.

UDFootballFan

Post by UDFootballFan » Mon May 07, 2018 11:35 am

BlueHenForLife wrote:Don't forget about Kyle Hinton. He's had a good year so far, he's a junior and should be back next year.
I was thinking he would get drafted. Regardless, they have a great staff coming in next year and we can hope the offense shows up more often then not.

UDForever

Post by UDForever » Mon May 07, 2018 1:31 pm

Also, Silan and Nunan are the two big guns coming in. Dubeq won’t be anything more than a pen piece or mid week starter early on.

UDForever

Post by UDForever » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:52 am

http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbm ... 1530194032

Had been wondering when they would announce the rest of the class. Knew about pretty much everyone coming besides Goan, so that is certainly a welcome surprise. Before anyone comes on here (BHB) and gets on Sherman for recruiting Delaware too much, the state sends more kids D1 in baseball than probably any other sport in the state. Over 30 kids this year.

Here is some info on new signees.

Buglio (Newark Charter)- Big time power bat. I mean big time. Has power to all fields too. Excited for his potential under Sherman. Doesn’t really have a position, article says first base, but will definitely DH. How early he plays will depend on how soon he can hit college pitching. The raw power is certainly there.

Collins (Sussex Central)- Only kid I haven’t seen play. Probably no more than a pen piece.

Gilardi (St Marks)-Could be a steal. One of the smoothest fielders you will see. Probably one of the best fielders in the country at the high school level, and that’s not just my opinion. Decent bat that may take some time to catch up to collegiate pitching, but glove wise he’s more than ready now.

Holler (Sallies)- Has gotten better each year at Sallies. Doesn’t throw that hard. I imagine he’ll be a pen piece, maybe a mid week starter later in his career.

Juhl (Caravel)- Transfer from VCU. Played some games as a freshman. Decent player. One of the better players in the state two years ago. Can steal some bases.

Kaden (Caravel)- Intriguing sign. I personally think a redshirt year would benefit him big time. Has good range and arm in the OF. Decent bat. Could be a really solid player if things come together. He already has a college body and it’ll be interesting to see if both a collegiate weight program combined with Sherman’s offensive teaching ability can unlock some power.

Pomatto (CR)- Another intriguing sign. I think he’ll start out as a pen piece. Fairly raw right now. Decent fastball but not much off speed. If they can tap into that off speed you may have a decent mid week starter or down the road a Sunday starter in the rotation.

Tomavich (St Marks)- Probably the most interesting sign. Kid is loaded with upside. Has a power arm but is very, very raw right now. I’d redshirt him and give him a year to develop, but we’ll see what Sherm does. Could be a very good pitcher if things come together.

Without knowing too much about the out of state kids, this isn’t necessarily a star driven class, but certainly one that provides quality depth. A 16 person class with 10 leaving the program shows that they can redshirt some. If this program is going to be taken seriously they need to not only just win in the CAA but also mid week games. The UNCW, Charleston’s and Northeastern’s have high rpi consistently because they win those mid week games, while also scheduling appropriately. I hope they are trying to do that with all of these arms being added. Still a bit concerned about the offense, but if there is one thing Sherm can do, it’s teach hitting. Baker will lead the way and hopefully Mohollen can have a better year. Another fall and pre season of Sherm with guys like Miller, Bowren, Vaccone and Hutchins should hopefully go a long way.

Pitching would have been stacked if Nunan was coming here. A weekend rotation of Sullivan, Ludman and a hopefully 100% Walter should be fine. Haas and Allen mid week starters with Dubecq possibly getting in the mix. Silan will be interesting. I think he’d be great in the Meeker role early on but we’ll see if they have him as a starter.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm

Largest (by far) incoming Baseball recruiting class that I can remember. Some promising players and hopeful developmental prospects. For you UD Forever, I don't like the fact that 10 of the 17 incoming players (9 Fr and 1 Tr) are from DE, only 2 are from PA (with none from SE PA), only 1 of the 5 from NJ is a FR, 4 incoming JUCOs from NJ, and that none are from fertile recruiting areas that Bob Hannah used to tap for some of UD's better players in SE PA, MD, and NY.

UDForever

Post by UDForever » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 pm

I figured you would be disappointed. Does it upset you that 3 of UD’s 2019 already committed are from DE? Don’t worry, there are two from the Scranton area and even one from New Hampshire also! Sadly though, 2020 class already has two committed from Delaware.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:45 pm

UDForever wrote:I figured you would be disappointed. Does it upset you that 3 of UD’s 2019 already committed are from DE? Don’t worry, there are two from the Scranton area and even one from New Hampshire also! Sadly though, 2020 class already has two committed from Delaware.
No it doesn't upset me. I want UD to recruit DE well while at the same time regularly landing more than a few from PA, NJ, MD, and NY with maybe a smattering from other states like CA & FL or even some surprises like NH. It does upset me though when year after year the best of SE PA don't even mention UD as a possibility. That was never the case under Hannah.

East Coaster

Post by East Coaster » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:37 am

And how about Jack Goan? The JCAA DIII player of the year. Seemingly a great catch. We certainly need the offense. I think BHB makes a good point. We need to do a better job of mining top talent from other states. Nunan was a great one from NJ, but we lost him to the draft. I’m surprised by the article that says only seven players are playing summer ball

UDForever

Post by UDForever » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:34 am

UD certainly should dominate the Mid Atlantic region in my opinion, behind only Maryland and St Johns. The resources are certainly there now. I will say that in a sport with only 11.7 scholarships, in state tuition does play a big factor. DE kids can play, as evidenced by probably the top 3 guys on the team this year being from DE. But yes I’d agree that we should have some kids sprinkled in from Maryland (MIAA is good ball), SE PA and NJ. I think you can field a really good team just from that area. I don’t however think there should be a quota each class of where they come from.

There’s a few more playing summer ball. I know Ludman is using up his last year in legion. Believe a few others of the rising sophomore class are too, but not 100% sure.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:02 am

UDForever wrote:UD certainly should dominate the Mid Atlantic region in my opinion, behind only Maryland and St Johns. The resources are certainly there now. I will say that in a sport with only 11.7 scholarships, in state tuition does play a big factor. DE kids can play, as evidenced by probably the top 3 guys on the team this year being from DE. But yes I’d agree that we should have some kids sprinkled in from Maryland (MIAA is good ball), SE PA and NJ. I think you can field a really good team just from that area. I don’t however think there should be a quota each class of where they come from.

There’s a few more playing summer ball. I know Ludman is using up his last year in legion. Believe a few others of the rising sophomore class are too, but not 100% sure.

Oh God, please no quota!! We had that embarrassing conversation of the hoops thread. Please no more!!!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

UDFootballFan

Post by UDFootballFan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:33 pm

Troy O’Neal has stepped down as pitching coach per his Twitter

UDFootballFan

Post by UDFootballFan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 am

UDFootballFan wrote:Troy O’Neal has stepped down as pitching coach per his Twitter
Funny that the website hasn't been updated yet....I would think once his resignation has been accepted, it would be updated.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:29 pm

UDFootballFan wrote:Troy O’Neal has stepped down as pitching coach per his Twitter
I believe that Troy did a pretty good job with the pitching staff. Troy is probably leaving for a better opportunity elsewhere either in coaching or other fields. Depending upon who replaces Troy his resignation could be a big loss for the program.