2020 MLB and Phillies thread

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
UDPat

Re: 2020 MLB and Phillies thread

Post by UDPat » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:22 am

Hens79 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:50 am
The Fat Lady is about to sing. Only hope for the Phillies is beat the Nats tonight and hope the Rays rest up for the playoffs this weekend and the Phillies sweep them. Even with that, a couple of other teams need to lose most of their remaining games.

The bullpen is the obvious glaring hole, but the hitting hasn’t been good lately. And so many players under performed including Harper with 11 HR and only 28 rbis and hitting .247. And Kingery at .153 played himself out of the lineup and maybe even out of the majors soon. He just can’t hit. But Bohm could be a star in the making. I haven’t seen any holes in his swing but I haven’t been watching that closely.

What a mess. If they can’t get in the post season when more than half the teams make it, something is wrong. Oh well .... I didn’t watch nearly as much as I usually do. Same for the NFL. And not watching college football at all. I have gotten use to less sports. I will see how appealing winter/spring football is for UD, if they actually play. I haven’t missed it so far.
I shouldn't have posted, It's my fault!!! :lol:

I have not watched one second of college football.
Actually been listening to the Phils on the radio
I watch the Eagles religiously and that will never change. Gonna be a long year.

As of today, I actually leaning 60/40 towards sitting out the hoops season of there is no penalty.
Haven't told my wife yet, she will not believe that for a second.

Actually miss not coaching, Calling any CYO coaches who need an assistant, I may be interested. :!:
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:13 pm

In the words of Yogi

Aint over till its over

Three out of four and lots of help

Let VV close for cryin out loud
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:15 am

Much needed win last night despite the recent 'Slop'. DiGregorius has really been consistent. Eflin nice job. Lets get HOT Fightins!
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:51 pm

3 games under .500 but not mathematically eliminated yet

Klentak teetering on the edge of a cliff

Ok so computer boy forgot about acquiring a Closer

Kind of like designing a house but going cheap on the roof

Who might be the next GM?
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 pm

This team doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs. I know it's an unusual season but disappointing for sure
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:17 am

Just had to win one more game in the stretch of 8 where they lost 7 of 8, and couldn't do it. Team is pretty gutless at the moment. As much as the bullpen was a monumental disaster, to watch the team fail to score a single run in the final game of the season where a win would've gotten them in is also extremely disappointing. Oh, and Nola was pretty much a non-entity yesterday in a must win game. This team is a long ways away from contending.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:16 am

Caribe, THANKS for creating this thread. Its a shame they didnt give us more to chew on and discuss as well as a Playoff run discussion.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:11 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:16 am
Caribe, THANKS for creating this thread. Its a shame they didnt give us more to chew on and discuss as well as a Playoff run discussion.
Couldn't have said it better!!!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:39 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:16 am
Thanks Henjohn,

So true but still will be interesting to see the fallout from this disappointing season

GM candidate’s ?

Where would the Phillies be right now if they could’ve gotten a Rosenthal at the trading deadline?

They would’ve been playing on Tuesday ....that’s where

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:43 pm

C, how about some Playoff and W Series predictions? Come on!!

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:04 pm

Henjohn, let me see what I can come up with, there are a few what are supposed to be funnies mixed in with all the baseball talk……so read carefully haha, with 16 teams this is a lot of work ... will hit the NL tomorrow

Toronto at Tampa Bay – The Blue Jays are the team of tomorrow with a trifecta of sons of Major leaguers playing on that team, The hefty son of lean and mean Vladimir Guerrero, Vladdy fast food Jr, Calvin Daddy got 3000 Biggio and probably the best of the mix Bo Johnny Depp Bichette lead the charge against a very good Rays team
Tampa Bay will start lefty Blake Snell, the 2018 Cy Young winner and follow that up with the lanky seed thrower Tyler Glasnow, who the Rays stole from the hung over Pirates, Snell and Glasnow back to back are nastier than a double feature staring Holmes and Chambers…… :oops:
Rays will Sting the kids and tell them to go back to their room
Winner – Tampa Bay

New York Yankees at Cleveland Indians
Game 1 pitching match up is the best one you will see in first round
Garret not on the Dole Cole vs Shane Don’t call me Justin Bieber
Bieber has been virtually untouchable this year while Cole has had some games where he was hit hard, besides that the Yankees Big Sluggers Judge and Stanton have been cursed with injuries and not ready to lead the Yanks out of the rat infested Bronx this year, in fact the Stanton signing is almost a tragedy…How can a guy get 14 At bats in 2 seasons and make 38 million … lol
The Indians traded starting pitcher Mike Trailer Park Clevenger to the Padres in August so that could come back to haunt the Native Americans but not in the first round
Winner – Indians

Houston at Minnesota
The Astros are just not the same since the Knock 3 Times on the ceiling if you want me, twice on the pipes If the pitch is a change up scheme got busted up
The Twins, lead by the ageless Juan Cruz, who is still bashing at the age of 41, and a host of Latino players (Phillies should take note and get down to the Dominican Republic and Venezuela and Cuba) up and down the lineup should be able to hold off the pesky lying cheatin Astros an advance to the next round
One thing to watch with the Astros Game 1 starter Zach Greinke will be how slow can he throw, he has even tipped off some of his 56 mph breaking balls this year, Greinke is a joy to watch carve batters up although he can barely hit 90 anymore
The Twins will counter Greinke with a pitcher that uses a Twin style to his, Kent Maeda, who has been razor sharp this year, Game 2 the Twins will start the enigmatic Jose Berrios out of Puerto Rico, if he’s on it will be lights for the Asstros but another son of a Big leaguer Lance McCuellers Jr has been good in last 3 starts
And what has happened to the #1 pick in the 2012 draft Carlos Correra? He is lost
Maybe he went loco after Dodgers pitcher Joe Kelly threw at him and made pouty face Correra impersonations at him back in July… whatever it was, Carlitos has struggled bigly

Winner – Minnesota

Chicago Cuban Sox at Oakland A’s
This should be a great series as the White Sox finally put it all together this year backed by Lucas No Hit wonder Giolito and Dallas Tex Keuchel, also they have a power packed lineup That features Los Tres Cubanos lead by MVP candidate Jose Abreu, Yoan Moncada, and talented rookie Luis Robert, and 3 grande Domincans Eloy Jimenez, Nomar Mazara and aging Edwin Encarnacion (Hello Phillies) … did I forget Tim Anderson, the 2019 batting champ…. Almost, he almost won it again this year, kid can play. Also, you want a bullpen pitcher, the White sox know where to find em..Colome and Cordero are not from Texas
Series probably comes down to Game 3 where the White Sox will have to give the ball to inconsistent but nasty Dylan Cease…. Will be nervous time for Sox if they start him with the season on the line as he can go into Steve Blass mode real quick
The problem will be they are playing in Oakland where the A’s just win with a bunch of unsung solid players, this is a hard series to pick and my heart is with the Sox but

Winner - Oakland

As far as World Series Pick, immediate answer that flashed thru my head was

Tampa Bay vs LA Dodgers

if you would of asked me last week, I would go Dodgers but after seeing the Rays do the Mick Jagger under my thumb on the Phillies

I'll say Rays in 7 games over Dodgers

The Dodgers will probably be favored but as long as they have Curseshaw pitching in post season, I'll say the Dodgers go home heart broken again

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:50 am

Great overview. Thanks. I'm going with the Dodgers vs Yankees and LA winning it all.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:46 am

CH - nice review.

The Sox fan I am, yes look for Cease to start game 3, but Dunning will be in promptly if Cease does not have his good stuff. If Dunning gets the game 3 start (not as likely) look for the reverse.

Better bats and better pen give the Sox the edge in 3.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:03 am

jd of de wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:46 am
CH - nice review.

The Sox fan I am, yes look for Cease to start game 3, but Dunning will be in promptly if Cease does not have his good stuff. If Dunning gets the game 3 start (not as likely) look for the reverse.

Better bats and better pen give the Sox the edge in 3.
Thanks JD
I was thinking about including Dunning in the review but
My fingers got tired

I’ve seen him pitch and I like him

I’ve been watching the Whitesox build what they got going on for years now, But three game series are scary Business

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:20 am

Caribe, please send your nice writeup to the News Journal!