2020 MLB and Phillies thread

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Re: 2020 MLB and Phillies thread

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:12 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:20 am
Caribe, please send your nice writeup to the News Journal!
Haha, Text it over to KT and see what he thinks :D
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:25 pm

jd of de wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:46 am
CH - nice review.

The Sox fan I am, yes look for Cease to start game 3, but Dunning will be in promptly if Cease does not have his good stuff. If Dunning gets the game 3 start (not as likely) look for the reverse.

Better bats and better pen give the Sox the edge in 3.
Sox 4 - A's 1
One down, one to go.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:54 am

National League

Brewers at Dodgers –
Dodgers are stacked and should handle the sub .500 Brew crew in quick order
Brewers will have to face flamethrower Walker Buehler, who has battled a blister problem over the course of the short season, but he is capable of dominating a game… Clayton Kershaw would pitch game 2
Brewer’s superstar Christian Yelich had a down year hitting only .205 with 22 RBI
Rookie Keston Hirua provides some pop but strikes out more than (insert name here) at closing time.
One Dodger pitcher that is under the radar a bit is rookie Dustin don’t call me Bozo May, he pounds strike zone with hard stuff and lots of movement, if he stays healthy sky is the limit and we might be talking about a post season surprise MVP?

Winner Dodgers

St Louis at San Diego
The trendy pick will be the Padres, who started out hot and made a lot of big trades going for broke this year. Manny should have been a Phillie Machado finally earned his pay check after struggling last year. Fernando Tatis Jr, started red hot but cooled in September but finished with 17 HR and 11 SB, and plays SS like his hair is on fire. Padres acquired closer Trevor Rosenthal from the Royals, if Phils want to raid a bullpen just give KC a call as they have a very deep pen. Other additions were Austin Nola, the versatile brother of Aaron, Mike Clevinger, and Mitch Moreland. Yet another hard throwing Dominican, Lamet Dinelson whiffed 93 in 69 IP and had a whip of 0.86. Chris Paddock, when right can be really good himself. But the Cards will come to battle with good fundamental baseball and will not go down easy, Paul Goldschmidt leads the way with Yady three brothers Molina at Catcher

Winner Padres

Marlins at Cubs
This should be a very scrappy series and I’m tempted to pick the Marlins in an upset. Why? Because the Cubbies are overrated and have been in a tremendous batting slump all summer, not sure if the ball carries better with hotties populating Wrigley or if the wind was blowing in (the wind my friend) but Kris Bryant only managed 4 HR and 11 RBI, Javy Latin lover boy Baez .203 Kyle Schwarber went like 3 for September and hit .188, Rizzo .222… I’m thinking the not so hot chilly Cubbies slump carries over to the playoffs. Miami, finding themselves in the playoff hunt went out and got solid vet Starlin Marte and Sixto Sanchez got the call and dominated in his early starts before hitting the wall towards the end. Cubs have been here before though and won’t go down easy especially with Woddy Henricks and Darvish going first 2 games

Winner – upset pick Mattinglys Miami Marlins

Reds at Braves –
Braves lineup crushed the ball this summer, could you imagine Ozuna in the bandbox… anyway, it’s the post season now and the Braves are getting ready to get beat by the Reds and their excellent starting pitching. Trevor Bauer has been outstanding this year, and he will be followed up by Luis Castillo, who is a bit inconsistent and combine that with some bad luck…..his W-L is not that good, but he can dominate when he is on. If it goes to game 3 Reds come with Sonny Good Fellas Grey…. Braves starting pitching is a mess, Max Fried is not in the right groove right now, and they follow him up with rookie Ian Anderson who has been pretty good, but Braves have nothing after that hurt by the loss of Soroka in July. The Braves bats go away in October as well, Acuna is still fighting a wrist injury that shelved him for 10 days, Freeman outstanding as always

Upset Special winner - Reds
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:19 pm

jd of de wrote:
CH - nice review.

The Sox fan I am, yes look for Cease to start game 3, but Dunning will be in promptly if Cease does not have his good stuff. If Dunning gets the game 3 start (not as likely) look for the reverse.

Dunning got the start and had one out with runners on first and third in the first inning and they pulled him

White Sox use nine pitchers

No Dylan Cease

JD, was he hurt or something?

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:20 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:19 pm
jd of de wrote:
CH - nice review.

Dunning got the start and had one out with runners on first and third in the first inning and they pulled him

White Sox use nine pitchers

No Dylan Cease

JD, was he hurt or something?
No sure CH and haven't heard any reporting; he did pitch some the game before. Walks and errors almost alway cost you.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:36 pm

RIP Kim Batiste - 52 years young....
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:41 am

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:04 pm

As far as World Series Pick, immediate answer that flashed thru my head was

Tampa Bay vs LA Dodgers

if you would of asked me last week, I would go Dodgers but after seeing the Rays do the Mick Jagger under my thumb on the Phillies

I'll say Rays in 7 games over Dodgers

The Dodgers will probably be favored but as long as they have Curseshaw pitching in post season, I'll say the Dodgers go home heart broken again
I’ll stick with this prediction of Tampa Bay in 7 and after what the Dodgers to do my Braves will be pulling hard for the Ray’s

Nothing like playoff baseball ....no sport can touch it

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 am

Great Game 7 last night - baseball is a different game though nowadays as starting pitching seems to be in short supply.
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:47 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:23 am
Great Game 7 last night - baseball is a different game though nowadays as starting pitching seems to be in short supply.
Not just the pitching, the hitting has morphed as well. Everyone swinging for the fences and launch angles. It's HR's or bust. Often bust.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation