New Passing Game Coord and WR coach

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Re: New Passing Game Coord and WR coach

Postby sunsetbeach on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:25 am

HennyYoungman

Instead of throwing out unfounded suspicions, use your same keyboard and do a bit of a search.

You'll find the typical assistant coach travel through a series of programs.
Then....you'll find two separate stints at Michigan...with huge success. Continuous years of 1000 yd receivers and NFL performers.
In between... an uneven tenure at his home state of Iowa where the head coach changed up his assistants to save his own job.
When he returned to Michigan after Iowa, he was "promoted" to more "off field" responsibilities and indicated he missed working directly with the players.
His move to Connecticut was to work with a head coach he worked with at Michigan.

He has survived tragedy in his life as his wife died of a brain aneurism at age 30. He credits his "Michigam family" of helping him get through this challenge.

As far as a "skeleton", you might have to expand your "conspiracy" to AD Rawak, who was at Michigan during his successful stints there, and; obviously, had to sign off on his UD hire.

I, too, am very surprised Coach Roc was able to land such an assistant as "Soup" Campbell.
Looking forward to more surprises to come.
sunsetbeach

UD Class: 1900

Postby jd of de on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 am

I do not believe he was on the current UConn staff; he was on the old UConn staff and unemployed when hired. That's my understanding and may answer some of the questions above.
2015 Prediction - The end of declining avg attendance.
2014 (15,682) 2015 (15,826) +144 2016 (16,478) +652
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby tenn hen on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 am

Whatever. His addition with all these experienced quality guys filling asst coaching positions MIGHT help bring in some quality players to complement our current roster. That is assuming the recruits and their families research the backgrounds(bios) of these guys. I alluded to the future of UD football, but not to start up a regurgitation of the same discussions we've already beat to death.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby HenZoneNation on Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:22 am

sunsetbeach wrote:HennyYoungman

Instead of throwing out unfounded suspicions, use your same keyboard and do a bit of a search.

You'll find the typical assistant coach travel through a series of programs.
Then....you'll find two separate stints at Michigan...with huge success. Continuous years of 1000 yd receivers and NFL performers.
In between... an uneven tenure at his home state of Iowa where the head coach changed up his assistants to save his own job.
When he returned to Michigan after Iowa, he was "promoted" to more "off field" responsibilities and indicated he missed working directly with the players.
His move to Connecticut was to work with a head coach he worked with at Michigan.

He has survived tragedy in his life as his wife died of a brain aneurism at age 30. He credits his "Michigam family" of helping him get through this challenge.

As far as a "skeleton", you might have to expand your "conspiracy" to AD Rawak, who was at Michigan during his successful stints there, and; obviously, had to sign off on his UD hire.

I, too, am very surprised Coach Roc was able to land such an assistant as "Soup" Campbell.
Looking forward to more surprises to come.

Agreed...I really like this hire and I'm so excited to see the team on May 6th. Michigan has it going on again and the more we follow their blue print the better. Go Hens.
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Postby BlueHenBill on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 pm

jd of de wrote:I do not believe he was on the current UConn staff; he was on the old UConn staff and unemployed when hired. That's my understanding and may answer some of the questions above.

I believe that is correct. Why would a coach with Campbell's resume not have higher profile offers than FCS?
BlueHenBill

Postby Big R on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Why Erik Campbell left UCONN is not a mystery. He was on Bob Diaco's staff that all got let go. Randy Edsall brought in his own staff including a WR Coach who played for him at UCONN.
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Ran ... hing-staff

This all happened after most (though not all) staffs were complete.

"12 days after the last college football head coaching vacancy had been filled, UConn decided to fire Bob Diaco. The Huskies were 3-9 this season and just 11-26 in 3 seasons under Diaco. The school made the announcement on December 26, the day after Christmas. Two days later, Randy Edsall was announced as the not-so-new hire. Edsall was the head coach of the Huskies from 1999-2010 and oversaw the transition from the FCS to the FBS (classified as 1-AA and 1-A at the time). He was lured away by Maryland after leading UConn to the Fiesta Bowl in 2010, but couldn't duplicate the success he had with the Huskies. He was fired by Maryland halfway through the 2015 season. Overall, Edsall is 96-104 as a head coach." (http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coac ... _2017.html)

I don't know how he does it, but Coach Rocco has a talent for attracting many assistant coaches with significant FBS experience so Erik Campbell is not unique at all in that regard and he's a known quantity at coaching WR's - I look at this as a great hire.
The bigger unknown to me is how Coach Polin will work out as recruiting coordinator.
Big R

UD Class: 1975

Previous

Return to The Roost