Signing Event

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Re: Signing Event

Postby Cluck U on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:11 pm

Baltimore Hen wrote:
Cluck U wrote:
HENJOHN wrote:It was really just Coach Speak. They could be a good group this year but the best might be a stretch.

Coach speak...no way!!!! :P

Thanks for the recap! Good stuff. This season should be a good one as Rocco gets to show if he can adapt and win consistently. Can't wait for spring practices to start.

Funny how Rocco brought up the roster imbalance...according to Henzone, Brock was fixing that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll say this, Rocco seems to be learning his lessons and making changes. UD has yet another transfer QB, but this one looks as though there was a bit more effort put into the choice.

Playoffs, baby! Time to play with the big boys.

I do not think brock paid attention to the balance by position as much as he cared about the balance by class.....which speaks to his football accumen.....

Brock's arrogance, and his ill-thought diagnosis, comments, and, tired "plan," were eaten up by many on this board. Rocco is still trying to correct the huge number of mistakes that Brock made, despite several folks on this board saying that Brock had left Rocco with a boatload of depth and talent. Too funny.

I have faith in Rocco. He's already admitted that he made some ridiculous errors last year (something Brock and his supporters never did), and Rocco appears to be addressing and correcting those problems. The fact that Rocco is willing to admit that his initial plan didn't work and make moves to correct his mistakes is what give me more hope this year.

Playoffs, baby! Go Hens!
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49, 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 early first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52, 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.
Cluck U

Postby HenZoneNation on Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:15 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Henzone wrote:The event gets better every year !

Darius Wade certainly got high praise from Danny, " He fits the offense we run."

The most interesting statement of the night .." I know the stats don't agree going into the season but Jarmon, Walker & Papale ( all seniors) are as good as any set of receivers in the league and the young group backing them up has tremendous potential."

Hall was compared to Colby... wow !

Lynch is back on offense .

Walker will be returning kicks & punts.

the stats are not the only one who does not agree.....

Sorry Hen fans but Jarmon has had one break out game in 3 years, I give him credit for suprising alot of us last year but and hopefully he will put it all together for his senior year

Walker can be a weapon but he's only been used at WR for a few games, it's not like the opposing teams were ready for that, the caution light should be blinking here

Papale already a Senior... wow, he did look much improved last year as he seemed healthy but not one that will put fear into the opposing team...

as far as the young group backing them up, Coleman did flash some talent last year, hope to see alot more of him, as far as Pitts just didnt see him enough

not sold on our WRs ...... hope I'm wrong

Gotta tell you...this is the highest I’ve been on Blue Hen receivers as a unit since ‘07. Mike Johnson was a stud and I don’t think we have a guy like him...but what we do have is a problem for other teams. Jarmon had a great year last year. I think he set a record for consistent weeks with a TD. CH...he had no one to throw him the ball. Literally, that was the worst collection of talent at the QB, OL, TE (a position that really needs attention) I’ve seen at Delaware since he’s been here. He’s learning a new position and to make matters worse, had to be our #1 WR with an Ol that couldn’t block, QB’s who couldn’t complete forward passes, and until Walker showed up, no other legit threat to take the heat off him. He’s 6’1 215, he’s fast, he can block, his routes are getting better, and most important...he gets separation. Walker does too, our other reviecers, aside from Johnson, never got sepearation and so the QB had to make tough throws into coverage, and with our QB’s...well you end up passing dead last in the FCS. Being able to see and having a full off season to work with Wade...no way Caurso is in competition for the starting job...this is Wade’s team, with Walker is going to make a world of difference. Add to that mix some of the younger WR’s (especially Coleman who is a great spot receiver...strong, good hands, high football IQ. I don’t see Vinney P. beating Coleman out) and you have the makings of a very good unit.

Now the OL and NT...that we shall see.
The Dude Abides!
HenZoneNation

UD Class: 1998

Postby Caribbean Hen on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:09 pm

HenZoneNation wrote:
Gotta tell you...this is the highest I’ve been on Blue Hen receivers as a unit since ‘07. Mike Johnson was a stud and I don’t think we have a guy like him...but what we do have is a problem for other teams. Jarmon had a great year last year. I think he set a record for consistent weeks with a TD. CH...he had no one to throw him the ball. Literally, that was the worst collection of talent at the QB, OL, TE (a position that really needs attention) I’ve seen at Delaware since he’s been here. He’s learning a new position and to make matters worse, had to be our #1 WR with an Ol that couldn’t block, QB’s who couldn’t complete forward passes, and until Walker showed up, no other legit threat to take the heat off him. He’s 6’1 215, he’s fast, he can block, his routes are getting better, and most important...he gets separation. Walker does too, our other reviecers, aside from Johnson, never got sepearation and so the QB had to make tough throws into coverage, and with our QB’s...well you end up passing dead last in the FCS. Being able to see and having a full off season to work with Wade...no way Caurso is in competition for the starting job...this is Wade’s team, with Walker is going to make a world of difference. Add to that mix some of the younger WR’s (especially Coleman who is a great spot receiver...strong, good hands, high football IQ. I don’t see Vinney P. beating Coleman out) and you have the makings of a very good unit.

Now the OL and NT...that we shall see.

HZN, I can agree with most of what you had to say but

Didnt KC tell us that Delaware had the best group of WR's in all of FCS just before he was canned? Now yes, that was Coach speak but he did have a better group than we have now and it's not close really, Rob Jones, Micheal Johnson, Nihja White and Harrison were all on the same team, If we had that group last year and even a Trent Hurley at QB last year would of ended alot better than it did

and Cluck.... as for Brock, yea he stunk up the joint, nobody will argue that but that was his group of players that played some of the best Defense in the history of Delaware football last year, let it go... the nightmare is over. :D Stubborn Dave has been gone for more than a year now.... put down your slice of Grotto and help me count up the transfers... :twisted:
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby 77HEN on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:38 pm

For anyone who wants to watch a recording of the signing event:
https://mailchi.mp/udel/blue-hens-club- ... cb09b8cf9f
77HEN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Cluck U on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:48 am

Caribbean Hen wrote:

Didnt KC tell us that Delaware had the best group of WR's in all of FCS just before he was canned? Now yes, that was Coach speak but he did have a better group than we have now and it's not close really, Rob Jones, Micheal Johnson, Nihja White and Harrison were all on the same team, If we had that group last year and even a Trent Hurley at QB last year would of ended alot better than it did

and Cluck.... as for Brock, yea he stunk up the joint, nobody will argue that but that was his group of players that played some of the best Defense in the history of Delaware football last year, let it go... the nightmare is over. :D Stubborn Dave has been gone for more than a year now.... put down your slice of Grotto and help me count up the transfers... :twisted:

Dude, Grotto's? JFC, you've been spending too much time in PR and have forgotten what real pizza tastes like.

You keep talking about the 2016 defense as one of the best Ds in the history of UD...and you are wrong. Flat out wrong. nova proved that...261 yards rushing (oh, and we held the ball, rather effectively, wouldn't you agree :P for over 32 minutes) and 28 points in a game where our D was completely dominated by a one dimensional offense that was not that good. Oh, and the collapse at Towson also proved you wrong. TOWSON!!!

We played a powder puff schedule, and our O held the ball for nearly 33 minutes per game, yet we still gave up 17 points per game and 305 yards per game...against a slate of teams with no offensive juggernauts.

C'mon, man, stop the ridiculous hype...we had a good defense, but not a great one. And Brock got lucky with the local boy coming back home.

Was a good defense wasted? You bet.

But did we have a great defense? No way.
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49, 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 early first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52, 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.
Cluck U

Postby BlueHenBill on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Cluck U, Did you mean the defense in 2016 or in 2017? In 2017 if UD did not have those critical season ending injuries on defense (Watson, Bell, Kitchen, & Adewusi), the defense would have been significantly better than the relatively high level at which they did play.
BlueHenBill

Postby UDForever on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:33 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:Cluck U, Did you mean the defense in 2016 or in 2017? In 2017 if UD did not have those critical season ending injuries on defense (Watson, Bell, Kitchen, & Adewusi), the defense would have been significantly better than the relatively high level at which they did play.

Agree, Bill. Easy how many forget that we lost key guys at all three levels.
UDForever

Postby Baltimore Hen on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Caribbean Hen wrote:

you are still clinging to that idea? they were better than years past, BUT they were not any of the best in Delaware history.
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

UD Class: 0

Postby Caribbean Hen on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:05 pm

That's the only way we end up seven and four last year is with a dynamic defense

remember the offense was pathetic

seven and four

think it through fellas without the bias
Caribbean Hen

Postby Red Rooney on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:07 pm

The defense was legit last year. The LB flew to the ball and knocked people back. Colby is special man. Can't believe he was only a freshman. Adderly is a beast. I like the young corner as well. But to be considered all time great you got rise up in big games. That Villanova game just doesn't sit well.

2018 could be a huge year though. A ton of talent on the defense, no doubt.
Red Rooney

Postby Caribbean Hen on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Red Rooney wrote:The defense was legit last year. The LB flew to the ball and knocked people back. Colby is special man. Can't believe he was only a freshman. Adderly is a beast. I like the young corner as well. But to be considered all time great you got rise up in big games. That Villanova game just doesn't sit well.

they were fun to watch, Yep the Nova game left every Hen fan shaking his head and no doubt they needed to rise up for that game and for whatever reason it just didnt happen, but a ton of talent on that D....hate to say it but Justin Watson injury kind of helped in a backhanded kind of way, you can see that the young corner you referred to #16 Hill is talented and well coached player..... Nichols will leave a hole for sure, not sure who will step up for that big job

if that offense could of scored 20 against Towson we were 8-3 even with the headscratcher on the mainline\

thank you Brock for redshirting Colby, best thing you ever did

did someone who might know a little something :D already say ton of talent... ha I dont need to repeat it
Caribbean Hen

Postby Cluck U on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:Cluck U, Did you mean the defense in 2016 or in 2017? In 2017 if UD did not have those critical season ending injuries on defense (Watson, Bell, Kitchen, & Adewusi), the defense would have been significantly better than the relatively high level at which they did play.

Say, anyone remember the injuries in 1929? How about 1952? How about that other year...you know the one...that defense would have been significantly better than many others.

Yup, if you go by injuries, I believe the team of ______ would have been significantly better than the...wait for it...relatively high level at which they did play.

And hey, the other teams we played, and those we didn't (but we are being compared to), would have been significantly better than...

Great defenses do not do what ours did against Towson and nova.

Cluck U

Postby BlueHenBill on Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:45 am

Cluck U wrote:

Say, anyone remember the injuries in 1929? How about 1952? How about that other year...you know the one...that defense would have been significantly better than many others.

Yup, if you go by injuries, I believe the team of ______ would have been significantly better than the...wait for it...relatively high level at which they did play.

And hey, the other teams we played, and those we didn't (but we are being compared to), would have been significantly better than...

Great defenses do not do what ours did against Towson and nova.

Unusual to lose 4 starters at every level of the defense for the season and early in the season too. The D was clearly not as good as they had been after losing those players. The Towson loss is mostly on the offense (and play calling and dropped TD pass) and the short final kickoff that gave Towson a short field for the game winning TD. Responsibility for the Nova loss rests heavily on the D and also on the O. I still don't understand how Nova was able to run the ball so well on our D when no one else was able to all season. It seemed like UD was flat and not ready to play that day. Given what was at stake and against our fiercest rival, I don't understand that either.
BlueHenBill

Postby Section J on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Red Rooney wrote:The defense was legit last year. The LB flew to the ball and knocked people back. Colby is special man. Can't believe he was only a freshman. Adderly is a beast. I like the young corner as well. But to be considered all time great you got rise up in big games. That Villanova game just doesn't sit well.

Ditto. That d was the real deal and to not give a credit for how great they continued to be after injuries at all three level is just ignoring the obvious.
Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
–George Burns
Section J

UD Class: 1983

Postby UD77 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:20 am

Good defense that COULD have been great if they were less predictable. Injuries always are an issue and every year we have some that definitely hurt the team. The list of injuries would be long and the what ifs many for every year that UD played FB. If only we Matt wasn't hurt all the time, if only Fry hadn't been hurt, if only Baker, ....... and so on. Suck it up, next person step up. If you want to play the poor me routine, I think Nova lost something like 15-17 starters and they kicked our butts, how did they do that????? With all those injuries (including their starting QB), poor me.

I would take the 2003 defense over this past year.
UD77

PreviousNext

Return to The Roost