Spring Game

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Re: Spring Game

Postby jd of de on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:47 am

Henzone wrote:
Angeline has been playing LB all spring.

Angeline made the move last season after Bell was injured.
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby tenn hen on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:08 am

thanks to the few who posted about the action. The Papale skying catch taking the throw away from the defender was the highlight as HZ posted, but cams truly is a professional and gives us many perspectives of the action.
The secrecy issue Carib mentioned seems kind of odd(though somewhat understandable) in that UD First needs more donations than what we all have contributed. BTW- since anyone can attend the game, our competitors could have scouted the action anyway. Though most teams have enough to focus on just with their own programs.
With UD's loaded sports administration staff, kinda hoped for lots more videos et. al. Hey, I'll take what I get, but they need to put more stuff out to secure more interest and $$.
Did KT and the local news push the game enough do you think?? Or is UD football too insignificant to the local populous?

Anyway, I still appreciated the information I've read here from our stalwarts.
I'm grateful for any forthwhile info during the "DEAD ZONE" we're at till the later summer picks up.
Truthfully, My love and interest (unfortunately some disappointment) with UD sports is a blessing which I hope will never diminish.

carpe diem to all :D
Last edited by tenn hen on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby Cluck U on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:05 am

tenn hen wrote:I'm grateful for any forthwhile info

Well, since no one else covered this, the pre-game Fandemonium free Chick'-fil'-A sandwiches were gone within 15 minutes...all 100 of them. Got mine...with the pickles and special sauce added. Delicious. Juicy. Absolutely worthy of praise, and a shining example of how to serve edible food that makes people happy and satisfied.

On the other hand, the under-the-hospitality-tent for-sale cheeseburger ($4.75) was a thin, very dry, burnt piece of shoe leather. Cringe worthy. And they just came out, "fresh", so it wasn't sitting there for hours under a heat lamp. Good to see that some things haven't changed. Of course, they were serving beers at the next table, so that provided a bit of balance. The irony was that the DJ next door was playing an advertisement for a package meal at a local burger joint for a cheeseburger, fries, and large soda for the same price of UD's inedible hockey puck. No spicy mustard was available, in case anyone was asking for a friend.

The outdoor laser tag was a winner. Lil' Cluck and his companion had a blast. The laser tag required a waiver, which, after we were sought out by our teens, was good for one, "Oh, so we are allowed to be seen with you right now?" 8) The outdoor climbing wall was another blast (no waiver required). Plenty of other fun activities for younger kids, too. And, UDairy Creamery's truck was there serving a handful of flavors. UD put on quite a show for families, and hopefully that effort will results in more people coming to the games (season tickets were on sale, and you could choose your seats...right next to the beer - excellent marketing). :lol:

However, it was well worth the short walk over to the actual creamery to get the ice cream from the source (proud that Lil' Cluck and his friend also made that decision independently) as there are so many flavors to choose from. The Pina Colada is highly recommended, although it might leave you with that song in your head. In addition, if you go back towards the farm for a walk with your ice cream, there is a nice garden with a variety of plants, including two raised sedum beds (sedum is awesome folks...hearty plants, lots of variety). UD had one of its bee hives out in the garden, and the bees were very active and fun to observe. Fascinating. Come fall, you can purchase some of the honey those bees will produce.

All in all, a really good event. B+. The hockey puck cost UD the A rating (you can't consistently serve really bad burgers and expect excellent customer satisfaction). Even the weather cooperated. The three official Blue Hen mascot birds in their cages saw their shadows, so we should expect a few more weeks of football season. That means playoffs, baby!
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49, 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 early first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52, 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.
Cluck U

Postby Big R on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:04 pm

Henzone wrote:I personally didn't see 26 running the ball but I left early. With the style numbers we have and all the stupid duplicated numbers it is often confusing.

20 - Spruill?

72Hen has put together a more accurate roster than the UD site.

Rick, in Cam's photos, that's him standing on the sideline next to Kareem Williams in pics 4 & 5. He actually had a couple of plays early on and then again towards the end.
Big R

UD Class: 1975

Postby Henzone on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:08 pm

Big R wrote:
Henzone wrote:I personally didn't see 26 running the ball but I left early. With the style numbers we have and all the stupid duplicated numbers it is often confusing.

20 - Spruill?

Rick, in Cam's photos, that's him standing on the sideline next to Kareem Williams in pics 4 & 5. He actually had a couple of plays early on and then again towards the end.[/quote

How about Mahmud?

There was also a 76 which I presumed was Ezeuzoh.
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Postby Big R on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Henzone wrote:
Big R wrote:

20 - Spruill?

Rick, in Cam's photos, that's him standing on the sideline next to Kareem Williams in pics 4 & 5. He actually had a couple of plays early on and then again towards the end.[/quote

How about Mahmud?

There was also a 76 which I presumed was Ezeuzoh.

Maybe - I don't remember if there was a 22 out there, and I wouldn't recognize Mahmud without a number. However, he's fairly big and Mahmud is listed at 6'1 and 215, so, could be.

I had also written down 76 with a ?, so it could have been Ezeuzoh because I didn't have 75 marked down as participating.
Big R

UD Class: 1975

Postby Henzone on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:16 pm

How about Mahmud?

There was also a 76 which I presumed was Ezeuzoh.[/quote]

Maybe - I don't remember if there was a 22 out there, and I wouldn't recognize Mahmud without a number. However, he's fairly big and Mahmud is listed at 6'1 and 215, so, could be.[/quote]

I'm just guessing by process of elimination. I couldn't see his beard in the picture. :lol:
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Postby HENJOHN on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:18 pm

I assumed it was Mehmud as well , looked like him and ran straight up like he does. There were a few uniform number challenges SAT.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby tenn hen on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:53 pm

Cluck- thanks for the travelogue through Fandemonium!

I assumed that 76 must be Ezeuzoh as well- he looked BIG

Surprised about the jersey # issue.

thanks for the continued discussion here.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby jd of de on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:09 pm

tenn hen wrote:thanks to the few who posted about the action. The Papale skying catch taking the throw away from the defender was the highlight as HZ posted, but cams truly is a professional and gives us many perspectives of the action.
The secrecy issue Carib mentioned seems kind of odd(though somewhat understandable) in that UD First needs more donations than what we all have contributed. BTW- since anyone can attend the game, our competitors could have scouted the action anyway. Though most teams have enough to focus on just with their own programs.
With UD's loaded sports administration staff, kinda hoped for lots more videos et. al. Hey, I'll take what I get, but they need to put more stuff out to secure more interest and $$.
Did KT and the local news push the game enough do you think?? Or is UD football too insignificant to the local populous?

Anyway, I still appreciated the information I've read here from our stalwarts.
I'm grateful for any forthwhile info during the "DEAD ZONE" we're at till the later summer picks up.
Truthfully, My love and interest (unfortunately some disappointment) with UD sports is a blessing which I hope will never diminish.

carpe diem to all :D

I am unsure where the idea the fundraising was clouded in secrecy comes from. Slow news day on Pizzagate blogs maybe ? :lol: :lol:

There have been periodic fundraising updates since the announcement last fall; the latest came in mid-March, only 5 weeks ago. I have little doubt we will continue to receive updates in a timely fashion and / or as they warrant.
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby Cluck U on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:54 pm

tenn hen wrote:Cluck- thanks for the travelogue through Fandemonium!

thanks for the continued discussion here.

No problem. Always willing to help.

The key to life is balance. We all need something else to balance out the football. joe keeps his balance by focusing on different sports, and although being from this area that must have been very frustrating for many years, he bounces from sport to sport to prevent a complete collapse, and it all has finally paid off with the Philly area's recent successes. Me, it is all about the ice cream, finding a good pizza, good seafood, a good beer or wine, and grilling a great steak. For others, it is the condiments...or meatballs. <---- Love a good meatball, by the way, but they have to be home made and served without the drool from sycophantic strangers.

The Hens look decent. Well, they look better than last year, but that is not saying much. Our O will be light years ahead of last year - IF the staff opens up a little bit. On D, we need our DL to perform. All this talk about the back 7 or 8 carrying us is interesting, because if that is the case, we will end up getting mud stomped by NDSU similar to Rocco's last 3-4 foray into Dakota territory. The good news is that we should be 3-1 after the first 4 games, and the CAA is looking less and less impressive. We do not have to face JMU, and the only real threat is a nova team that happened to smack the crap out of us last year when we had a playoff birth on the line. But, we have them at home and this is the year that we can finally break the losing streak and win a game going into the playoffs.

We're looking at 9-2, with an opening round win at home against a Patriot or MEAC cupcake. So, for the first time in a while, the Hens will have double digit wins. This team can go a long way as long as we allow our offense to operate with some creativity, and as long as we find some answers on the DL.
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49, 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 early first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52, 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.
Cluck U

Postby HENJOHN on Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:39 pm

CLUCK out of the gate early with a nice prediction.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Previous

Return to The Roost