Mr. Rocco's Demeanor on the Sideline

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

Mr. Rocco's Demeanor on the Sideline

Postby tenn hen on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:24 am

Preface- I refrained from posting during and after the game yesterday. I was shellshocked and wanted no part of the conversation which I knew would be extremely emotional and negative.I suffered like all Hens fans yesterday, and to be honest, was embarrassed from the moment the game started. The final realization that the quality of Blue Hen football(as of 2 years under Mr Rocco) has not significantly improved and quite possibly has declined was sadly evident to ANY knowledgeable football fan during the last 7 games of his leadership. My comments seem to reflect a large number of the posters on our board. By this point we should have expected a better product on the field than what we have witnessed.

OK - now to the topic of this thread -

Specifically, watching the sidelines during our games under Mr. Rocco's leadership role this past 15 games!!

I'm curious as to your perception of his behavior, style, involvement, body language, and the general way he carries himself during the games. I have my own opinion, but simply want to open the door to a conversation about his presence and leadership on the sidelines. I don't want this discussion to move into other areas of his job like interviews, quotes, practices, recruiting, game plans, other coaches, etc.

I believe this topic to be important in many ways. Posters have certainly covered just about everything else even including Keeler, Brock, Harker, Ziady,etc.
Please focus your opinions on only Mr Rocco on the sideline.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Re: Mr. Rocco's Demeanor on the Sideline

Postby UDFootballFan on Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:41 am

I wish he would get on the guys more....both negative and positive. Don't worry about confidence or hurting the kids feelings. PK threw 3 picks but no one got in his face to challenge him to be better.
UDFootballFan

UD Class: 1900

Postby Cluck U on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:20 am

Is he working the refs? That was a big concern here previously. Does Rocco look into the stands and make eye contact with, and get advice from, some of the entitlement minded fans?

Frankly, I don't give a hoot about a coach's sideline demeanor. Coach K is different than Bobby Knight or Dean Smith, but they all got the job done. I'm more concerned about the decisions that are made, before and during the game. In that regard, I am disappointed in Rocco's ability to make changes on the fly.
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49, 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 early first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52, 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.
Cluck U

Postby 77HEN on Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:04 pm

I don't understand why he didn't change QB, at least in the 3rd quarter some time. Hell, when a goalie is letting in goals like a sieve, it's best for the goalie and the team to give him a time out. PK can remain the starter, but he should have been given a time out. He was obviously having a bad day and something else needed to be tried. I was impressed by the execution, discipline and behavior of the NDSU team. Also from announcer's comments like "as a WR, if you don't block, you won't be on the field". It seems our teams don't have the discipline and accountability required to be a successful squad. Probably talent too.

ps. Like Tenn, I usually try to avoid comment during games, I wish I stuck to that standard yesterday. Also, take a look at our team in the pic on BlueHens.com and see how many jerseys are sticking out, I hardly saw any NDSU player displaying such a lax approach to such a simple detail even during the entire game. Small issue for sure, but indicative IMO of discipline.
Last edited by 77HEN on Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77HEN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Baltimore Hen on Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:42 pm

UDFootballFan wrote:I wish he would get on the guys more....both negative and positive. Don't worry about confidence or hurting the kids feelings. PK threw 3 picks but no one got in his face to challenge him to be better.

i agree with this. i think the demeanor of the players is a reflection of the coaches and they need to show the urgency on their sleeve...
In ROCCO I Trust!
Baltimore Hen

UD Class: 0

Postby Cluck U on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:12 pm

77HEN wrote:I don't understand why he didn't change QB, at least in the 3rd quarter some time.

Also from announcer's comments like "as a WR, if you don't block, you won't be on the field".

1) Have you not been watching our games? Rocco, like Brock, doesn't get the back up QBs any playing time. It is their plan.

2) Yup, their WRs were much more productive than ours, in all phases.
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49, 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 early first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52, 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.
Cluck U

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:04 pm

77HEN wrote:I don't understand why he didn't change QB, at least in the 3rd quarter some time. Hell, when a goalie is letting in goals like a sieve, it's best for the goalie and the team to give him a time out. PK can remain the starter, but he should have been given a time out. He was obviously having a bad day and something else needed to be tried. I was impressed by the execution, discipline and behavior of the NDSU team. Also from announcer's comments like "as a WR, if you don't block, you won't be on the field". It seems our teams don't have the discipline and accountability required to be a successful squad. Probably talent too.

ps. Like Tenn, I usually try to avoid comment during games, I wish I stuck to that standard yesterday. Also, take a look at our team in the pic on BlueHens.com and see how many jerseys are sticking out, I hardly saw any NDSU player displaying such a lax approach to such a simple detail even during the entire game. Small issue for sure, but indicative IMO of discipline.

I posted that Kehoe was going to have a rough day, Wade must not have made the trip..... looks like the Head Coaches Office has a stubborn problem..... and we've seen it before
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby jl1968 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:15 pm

I don't understand why he was hired to start with! Should have hired a former Blue Hen such as Bill Cubit!
jl1968

Postby tenn hen on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:06 am

well I'm disappointed by the limited responses so far!

As a football fan for over 65 years and a coach for 35, I expected more direct comments. I know a lot of our regulars are now silent now and fed up this year. I kind of accepted the hire of Mr(have u noticed the Mr rather than coach or DR or in my posts?) Rocco as a step forward, but I was not impressed by the feeling I got as he spoke from day one up to today. The asst coaches seemed solid in their speeches so I wonder if many of them are on now on notice from the head guy to be low key.

A bit like our team has performed, it's been vanilla. The first year we were hopeful early, but things remained vanilla against average competition throughout the season, and then the performance collapsed at the end. This season we were hoping for wholesale changes with a new experienced transfer qb and a few others added to strength the DL. No luck!! the needed transfers at DL just don't have the size to bull rush and the 3 man rush is useless. The speed element hurts us every play.

so getting back to the ONE specific question of this thread- sideline demeanor.

I want to see a modern day coach on the sidelines who is interacting with the players, the assistant coaches, and the officials where necessary. What I see is a guy who walks the sidelines, rarely shows any real emotion, and whose speeches put me to sleep. I'n not present in the locker room, but I can imagine a similar scenario there before the team goes out( not good first quarters by our team). He just doesn't look like a COACH in his attire and visual separation from the game in front of him. He doesn't fire up the guys or the fans with a body language of emotion. He seems to be drifting and unknowing what to do to change the events unfolding before him. Just look at the good programs and there is heated excitement and movement with purpose going on all the time or at least constant exchanges on the head sets.

I want to view fire on the sidelines to charge up the team. I want the players to know their coach really CARES and is in CHARGE and will give his all to LEAD them.

I just don't see that except for a guy drifting along with his arms crossed or looking up to the sky maybe for special guidance. This lack of FIRE since day one has turned me off. The team doesn't need the quiet professor who looks lost in the close games and isn't interacting to fire up his guys!!!!

please be aware Tom Landry was great in his time, but these are different times.

please keep in mind this is just one aspect of the coach's responsibilities and some coaches can be quiet, but their teams get after it and win.

please realize we are all frustrated by the performance this season even though all year we prepared for a really good season under Mr Rocco. We were led to believe all was well with the program. It is disheartening, but we will keep rooting for our guys. My negativity in reference to the coach's demeanor is my opinion and not that of the sponsors or those who run this website.

BTW-After I have logged in and then submit my posts, I am still told that I have to log in to submit a post. I log in again and then my post is added to the thread. I've requested this be fixed but no such luck. Do any of you have the same issue and waste of time trying to post and having to go through the rings to be successful?? Occasionally, my post will be added immediately, but it is a rare success.

Try to Keep the Faith.
tenn hen

Postby WT CLYDESDALE on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 am

Well from what I heard he takes a hands off approach when it comes to play calling and who plays and doesn't play. He let's the other coaches make those calls.
WT CLYDESDALE

UD Class: 1987

Postby tenn hen on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:01 am

WT CLYDESDALE wrote:Well from what I heard he takes a hands off approach when it comes to play calling and who plays and doesn't play. He let's the other coaches make those calls.

WTC- Then we're in deep sh*t, but we know that so far this season. There are tu*ds all over the field.
Mr Rocco better make a true effort to dress and act like a man in leadership on the sidelines. He needs

to appear STRONG and in CONTROL. a requisite for any head coach in any sport to gain the respect of the players in good and bad times!!!!!!!

Maybe a UD ball cap on his head?? He just seems indecisive and weak!

Maybe pumping up the guys on the sideline with "ALL" types of interaction? he separates himself from the players and should be in the action at every tv time out!!!

Maybe - oh well- you get my drift. If he can't react and adjust, then he should be up in the pressbox and assign the sidelines to a MOTIVATOR.

Or he needs to view films of successful big time coaches and pick up some tips about how to PROWL THE SIDELINES and LEAD and get his assistants to jump on or praise the players if he can't.
tenn hen

Postby Gannonfan on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:24 am

I don't know, Tenn, I don't sit very far up (8 and 9 rows up) on the home side and Rocco's demeanor on the sidelines is perfectly fine from my perspective. He gets on players when they come to the sideline and need to be gotten on, and he's in the huddles during timeouts and other breaks in play. I'm not sure TV is the best vehicle to judge a coach on the sideline, especially with the coverage we have, but he's as engaged as any coach is on gameday.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gannonfan

UD Class: 1995

Postby tenn hen on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:11 am

GF-- agree you see lots more than I do being at the Tub, but whenever the tv/video goes to Mr Rocco I see what I have posted a large majority of the time,esp in the NDSU game where he appeared to glide,not step, along the sidelines as well as the other details I mentioned.

Really I just view him as a weak, not strong, coach who shows little fire. Just rethink all the games even before NDSU and their coaches stood tall, strong, and prowled the sidelines constantly interacting. The professor type a la Snyder(K State) or Landry is not my cup of tea.

Anyway I'll leave this subject since I've clearly made my opinion known on this one particular aspect of handling the job of head coach. All of us have our own frame of reference as we should.
tenn hen

Postby 77HEN on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:20 am

WT CLYDESDALE wrote:Well from what I heard he takes a hands off approach when it comes to play calling and who plays and doesn't play. He let's the other coaches make those calls.

A previous coach was criticized and derogatorily referred to as the "CEO" when he let assistants handle affairs on the field. Different times, different views.
77HEN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Henzone on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:23 am

77HEN wrote:

A previous coach was criticized and derogatorily referred to as the "CEO" when he let assistants handle affairs on the field. Different times, different views.

Not quite. The CEO was self named.
Henzone

UD Class: 1970

Next

Return to The Roost