KEYS TO THE GAME

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Re: KEYS TO THE GAME

Post by HensRock » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Jaxhen wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:49 pm
I can’t remember if we played YSU more than the two times in 1979. There used to be a website with UD’s historical record versus other teams but I can’t find it anymore.
We played YSU twice in 1979.
It was the regular season meeting at YSU that would come to be known as "The Shoot-Out".
I can't remember which was which, but the two national football polls (AP and UPI/Coaches Poll) each had YSU and Delaware ranked #1 and #2, but in different order. So it was a meeting between #1 vs. #1.

We would meet YSU again in the Div II National Championship Game in Albuquerque, NM.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!

Jaxhen
UD Class: 0

Post by Jaxhen » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks HR.

HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:14 pm

This would be unbelievable today and not a lot of people remember this, but that 79 Div II Delaware team played 4 Div I teams that season.
... and BEAT 3 of them!

but we digress from the topic.

Keys to the game:
For players..
1. Play hard, but don't over-extend. You don't have to play a perfect game.
2. Do YOUR job and TRUST your teammates to do THEIRS.
3. Build your teammates up.
4. Have fun.
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!

HighPlainsBison

Post by HighPlainsBison » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:36 pm

HensRock wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Keys to the game:
For players..
1. Play hard, but don't over-extend. You don't have to play a perfect game.
2. Do YOUR job and TRUST your teammates to do THEIRS.
3. Build your teammates up.
4. Have fun.
Hoping for a clean and injury free game for both teams as well. Two top 20 squads. It'll be interesting to see what a difference a year makes.

Jaxhen

Post by Jaxhen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:14 am

Agree.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:32 am

This could be a help:

"RARE EAST COAST GAME: Saturday’s game at Delaware will be the sixth time the Bison play a game on the East Coast."

Yah just never know.
The Dude Abides!

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:27 am

Turnovers - definitely need to avoid turnovers. And can we get some? Perhaps also some special Special Teams play to help the scoring?

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:58 am

the key to the game is unlocking(unleashing) our O team with no fear of failure. Attack them, find their weaknesses(they MUST have some) and then capitalize by going after their weakness whatever they may be. DR was brought here to be able to do the job. Man- I hope he and his staff are up to the task.
Here's a thought/suggestion even at this late hour. OUR HOUSE= not a bad CHANT that might get under their skin from the moment they come on the field for pregame to during the game whever they possess the ball- YOU'RE IN OUR HOUSE . Volume is the key- noise- bedlam-

this is a great opportunity to knock off FCS #1 that we may never see again because we could be #1 down the road. Oh yeah :roll:

Joe and all BLUE HEN faithful just win baby enjoy the buffalo hunt!
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:42 pm

jd of de wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:23 pm
mpwerrell wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:58 pm
Hens79 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:23 pm
Biggest key is the coaches game planning to win rather than have a respectable loss and a moral victory. The kids can tell the difference in game planning and play calling. If the coaches don't game plan and call it to win, nothing else will matter. The Hens simply can't line up and beat NDSU doing what they have done with a few tweaks. They need to treat this as the biggest game in UD stadium in a nearly a decade because it is. A win would make more of the fan base start to believe again and maybe start coming to the games. It will take an extraordinary effort from all involved, the team, coaches and the fans. Even with that, they will need a subpar game from NDSU and some big breaks. Anything short of that, including talk of .... it's about the CAA blah, blah, blah ... will result in a butt kicking. Anyway, 25+ home underdogs do win one once a while. I'll be there.
Are you implying that our coaching staff might be planning to have a respectable loss and a moral victory?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Carl thinks coaches game plan to respectable lose :lol: :lol: :lol: it's spelled c-l-u-e-l-e-s-s

reason #1,008,222 he's been blocked for years
Yes. I am even going beyond implying it and actually stating it. I saw it today in the play calling and decisions made. So did others and they stated here. If you didn’t, I don’t know what to tell you. Everyone should be able to see it except perhaps a blind loyalist.