Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by Gannonfan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:57 pm

VIKING '87 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:28 pm
Henzone wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:02 am
Section J wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:34 am


I do. Most of the folks on this board were around when Tubby was winning and when KC took us to the promised land they and I expected that the program would remain at the level of a contender in perpetuity. The depths of failure during the Harker era and the resulting degradation has been a great loss for all of us. We want it back the way it was in the glory days. There was hope that Rocco would have us return to being a contender much quicker and in a straight line. That's just not the way it works at this level.
That's the obvious to intelligent people. The definition of vitriol is cruel & bitter. That's the shock people who land on here for the 1st time experience. Nasty is the word I get from parents, fans and UD connected personnel who give gohens a shot. Vince Papale suggested I was crazy to post with this group. My gripe hasn't been the complaints, they're often justified but the meanness and repetition is beyond ridiculous. I'm not a company man blindly supporting Rocco , I'm in line behind henfansince03 with his observation but there has to be a limit to the hate tolerated on here.
Lots of extreme childishness and pettiness. Very good point. Can't understand why so many engage in personal attacks.
Do you guys get out much? Do you read anything on the internet that isn't on this message board? You must've missed the last 20 years of life in America. If you really think this site is "extreme childishness and pettiness" or is somehow different than what you read basically on any subject in any forum these days then you clearly need to branch out a little more. Or conversely, don't branch out, go hide, because you'll be horrified by what's out there. Be afraid, be very afraid. (stole that line from a movie, extra points for the source).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

BlueHenBill
Posts: 6800
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by BlueHenBill » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:07 pm

Section J wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:11 am
BlueHenBill wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:10 pm
Henzone, Some players shine in practice and suck in games while other players don't practice well but shine in games. Until you give any player a real opportunity to show what they can do in game(s) you really don't know. Rocco doesn't give enough opportunities to non redshirt players to show what they will do in a game,
Another dopey assessment. If you can't perform in practice, you don't play in the games knucklehead.
Well "genius", I remember years ago that Tubby finally put a player (whose name I forget) into a game and he played great. Tubby's post game comment was that he had never seen that player play like that in practice. So it does happen and vice-versa. Many practice observers posted here that Walker played well at QB in practice, but then it rarely showed in games. As Allen Iverson, one of the greatest NBA players stated, " I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice.” So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 8886
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:39 pm

BOWL UP SECTION J!!!

User avatar
hens05alum
Posts: 5378
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:51 am
UD Class: 2005

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by hens05alum » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 pm

Don't mess with Bluehenbill. He came here to do two things tonight: quote Iverson and kick some a$$. And it looks like he's all out of Iverson quotes!
V for Villanova, V for veritable certainty of victory over Delaware.

User avatar
Henny
Posts: 2733
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:02 pm
UD Class: 1985
Location: Newark De.

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by Henny » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:25 am

👀 forward everybody ....... :)

User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by Gannonfan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 am

hens05alum wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 pm
Don't mess with Bluehenbill. He came here to do two things tonight: quote Iverson and kick some a$$. And it looks like he's all out of Iverson quotes!
I loved that quote when Rowdy Roddy Piper used it in "They Live". Still an awesomely bad but good movie.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

User avatar
Baltimore Hen
Posts: 8571
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:52 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Baltimore

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by Baltimore Hen » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:59 am

Gannonfan wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:12 am
hens05alum wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:28 pm
Don't mess with Bluehenbill. He came here to do two things tonight: quote Iverson and kick some a$$. And it looks like he's all out of Iverson quotes!
I loved that quote when Rowdy Roddy Piper used it in "They Live". Still an awesomely bad but good movie.
I prefer Clint in Dazed and Confused.
In ROCCO I Have Great Concern!

UDPat
Posts: 2013
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by UDPat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:38 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:07 pm
Section J wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:11 am
BlueHenBill wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:10 pm
Henzone, Some players shine in practice and suck in games while other players don't practice well but shine in games. Until you give any player a real opportunity to show what they can do in game(s) you really don't know. Rocco doesn't give enough opportunities to non redshirt players to show what they will do in a game,
Another dopey assessment. If you can't perform in practice, you don't play in the games knucklehead.
Well "genius", I remember years ago that Tubby finally put a player (whose name I forget) into a game and he played great. Tubby's post game comment was that he had never seen that player play like that in practice. So it does happen and vice-versa. Many practice observers posted here that Walker played well at QB in practice, but then it rarely showed in games. As Allen Iverson, one of the greatest NBA players stated, " I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice.” So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
UUmm, I maybe in the minority but I am going to defend BHB here. For once and maybe the ONLY time, He was at least able to provide an example. The example maybe 20 years old and he couldn't name the player, but for him......That's progress.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

User avatar
Henzone
Posts: 10756
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:42 am

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by Henzone » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm

Bill & Pat........

Actually it was in 1977 and the player was Mike Sanderson a 3rd team DE from Newark HS who hadn't played much in his career. Due to injuries and the fact it was senior day MIke played much of his final game against Colgate and literally kicked azz.

Good try guys but the suggestion of playing someone who doesn't perform in practice is as ludicrous as us even remembering the exciting day #86 had.

I do know Tubby regretted not giving Mike more of an opportunity in practice not necessarily in a game.
Last edited by Henzone on Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 8886
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:15 pm

Good memory Rick. Mike was a real good player at Newark and when he came to UD thought he might play more. Nice you brought that up.

dchen
Posts: 1294
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 5:01 pm
UD Class: 1972
Location: Washington DC

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by dchen » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:44 pm

[quote=Henzone post_id=368441 time=1575482867 user_id=71]
Bill & Pat........

Actually it was in 1977 and the player was Mike Sanderson a 3rd team DE from Newark HS who hadn't played much in his career. Due to injuries and the fact it was senior day MIke played much of his final game against Colgate and literally kicked azz.

Good try guys but the suggestion of playing someone who doesn't perform in practice is as ludicrous as us even remembering the exciting day #86 had.

I do know Tubby regretted not giving Mike more of an opportunity in practice not necessarily in a game.
[/quote]

That was a signature win for the program. 21-3 if I recall over a wing T team. Was he played due to injuries or was the game well in hand by then?

UDPat
Posts: 2013
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by UDPat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Henzone wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:07 pm
Bill & Pat........

Actually it was in 1977 and the player was Mike Sanderson a 3rd team DE from Newark HS who hadn't played much in his career. Due to injuries and the fact it was senior day MIke played much of his final game against Colgate and literally kicked azz.

Good try guys but the suggestion of playing someone who doesn't perform in practice is as ludicrous as us even remembering the exciting day #86 had.

I do know Tubby regretted not giving Mike more of an opportunity in practice not necessarily in a game.
Rick,

Thanks

In all my years on the sideline this thought NEVER came into my head. "Need to put somebody in. Little Johnny has stunk up the joint in practice most of the season, He's my guy....Johnny"!!!!

NEVER :shock:

But I will still defend BHB this one time.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

User avatar
VIKING '87
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:53 am
UD Class: 1987
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by VIKING '87 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:57 pm
VIKING '87 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:28 pm
Henzone wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:02 am


That's the obvious to intelligent people. The definition of vitriol is cruel & bitter. That's the shock people who land on here for the 1st time experience. Nasty is the word I get from parents, fans and UD connected personnel who give gohens a shot. Vince Papale suggested I was crazy to post with this group. My gripe hasn't been the complaints, they're often justified but the meanness and repetition is beyond ridiculous. I'm not a company man blindly supporting Rocco , I'm in line behind henfansince03 with his observation but there has to be a limit to the hate tolerated on here.
Lots of extreme childishness and pettiness. Very good point. Can't understand why so many engage in personal attacks.
Do you guys get out much? Do you read anything on the internet that isn't on this message board? You must've missed the last 20 years of life in America. If you really think this site is "extreme childishness and pettiness" or is somehow different than what you read basically on any subject in any forum these days then you clearly need to branch out a little more. Or conversely, don't branch out, go hide, because you'll be horrified by what's out there. Be afraid, be very afraid. (stole that line from a movie, extra points for the source).
I'm floored you are even taking this position. You haven't noticed the name calling and personal attacks that take place regularly? And your response is a perfect example of petty.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

User avatar
Henzone
Posts: 10756
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:42 am

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by Henzone » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:25 pm

+1
Last edited by Henzone on Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
tenn hen
Posts: 5264
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:44 pm
UD Class: 1967
Location: TN.

Re: Rocco -- an OUTSIDER'S perspective

Post by tenn hen » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:29 pm

Gannonfan " afraid"- from the movie "THE FLY" 8) and the source- you are probably referring to the biblical lines


Silence still prevails for our football program???
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Post Reply