COVID-19

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Re: COVID-19

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:02 pm

You are correct 77. I slipped but admit it. I'd settle for just football this Nov
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:00 pm

77HEN wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:54 pm
I'll be sure to avoid posting good news, potentially life saving news, in the future. Clearly, not welcome here.
The good news was welcome 77. Continue posting it. There are different perspectives. If it works great! If it doesn’t or Lupus and RA patients (underlying conditions) can’t get a drug proven for their ailment, who takes responsibility? It appears certainly not the White House. My question as always, is there a federal plan for distribution?

I wish there was football as well.

Stay well everyone.

hens05alum
UD Class: 2005

Post by hens05alum » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:09 pm

To me, this is a historical inflection point where a great many things we know or thought to be true could change. The long term ramifications of this on colleges/universities and college athletics are varied, but I'm inclined to believe there will be a significant change (and possibly consolidation) in higher education in this country as a result of this. UD is well positioned comparatively as a state university with ample institutional resources, but alot of others are on very dangerous footing. Distance learning was already an expanding portion of the market before this happened, but now that many are getting accustomed to it, you could see some really marked changes in the demand/supply curve on college and how people learn. If there's less emphasis on the beautifully manicured grounds and luxe suites that students/families are paying exorbitantly for and universities have invested in, then marketplace will change. That's going to trickle down to college athletics...you can't charge someone who learns from their home computer a facilities fee for a fancy student fitness center or expect them to attend or pay for $750k+ salaries of sports teams nobody attends. College athletics is/was considered an important aspect of the social experience of college, but in an environment where distance learning becomes more of a factor you can pretty much disregard any 'social' benefits of funding expensive college athletics. Just the financial loss from the NCAA tournament payouts this year are going to be catastrophic for some athletic departments.

I was reading earlier that there was some discussion of moving the college football season up to July this year. Not only is that an absolutely terrible idea, but a sign to me of desperation from universities that are very dependent on the income of college football for their personal economies.
V for Villanova, V for veritable certainty of victory over Delaware.

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:13 pm

Extra year granted for spring athletes.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... g-athletes

dc

Post by dc » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:52 pm

https://www.udel.edu/udaily/2020/march/ ... n-perilla/

Not sports related but UD COVID-19 related.Let us hope that the researchers can find an answer.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:11 pm

UD Field House under consideration as a alternative/temporary hospital site for non-COVID-19 patients in stable or better condition.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:31 am

What the AD's are thinking.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/288 ... s-canceled

50/50 right now we have a football season.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:04 am

Considering how long this is stretching out, that we may lose a Quarter Million people to this and that Dr Fauci is now saying WAVE 2 will come in the Fall, I am not sure how its possible to seriously think we will have any Football this Fall. I hope I am wrong but.......
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:19 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:04 am
Considering how long this is stretching out, that we may lose a Quarter Million people to this and that Dr Fauci is now saying WAVE 2 will come in the Fall, I am not sure how its possible to seriously think we will have any Football this Fall. I hope I am wrong but.......
Unfortunatly you are correct HJ no matter how hopeful some may be. And football will be one of many things things lost and will be part of the unfolding health and economic catastrophe. The possibility of football this fall is dropping everyday. Fauchi’s second wave comment just put the knife in a little further after just talking about up to 100s of thousands of death. I do not believe football will happen, but that’s just me.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:21 am

HENJOHN wrote:
I hope we are both wrong as well.

Until there is some sort of handle on this, it’s difficult for me to see any university President allowing students to return from a multitude of states and countries and turn their campus into the newest petri dish and hot spot.

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:26 am

There are multiple drugs and vaccines now being tested and some drugs used compassionately. As I said on another thread, safety and efficacy must be established. Remdesivir is one of the promising drugs being tested. I believe there is a local trial at HUP. Remdesivir was developed as a drug for Ebola (that failed) so it has more available safety data. The developer, Gilead, has backed off on requesting orphan drug status for a variety of reasons. However there will still be a significant amount of time required for studies. Not sure when Gilead would consider investing in scale-up to production quantities, but you would hope it would be sooner not later. Time delay for manufacturing the quantities needed for this drug (or any other drug) for worldwide distribution would be significant.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/202 ... 934583001/

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:36 am

Hens79 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:19 am
HENJOHN wrote:
Unfortunatly you are correct HJ no matter how hopeful some may be. And football will be one of many things things lost and will be part of the unfolding health and economic catastrophe. The possibility of football this fall is dropping everyday. Fauchi’s second wave comment just put the knife in a little further after just talking about up to 100s of thousands of death. I do not believe football will happen, but that’s just me.
I hate to say the unthinkable but if we don't get a handle on this soon, it may very well be the death of football on many college campuses, especially at this level. University Presidents are facing unprecedented demands for tuition refunds as well as refunds of prepaid room rent and meal tickets. Recently, The NCAA announced greatly reduced payouts to Member Schools that will only add to the crunch. Good times are not ahead, IMO.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:58 pm

Athlete or non-athlete, if i was graduatimg from HS in Jun 2020, I would probably delay my enrollemt to second semester 2020-2021 or until Sep 2021. I don't know how this would affect admission offers and scholly offers.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:53 pm

I hope this doesn't happen but if there is a second wave of COVID-19 in the Fall (a distinct possibility) and vaccine(s) and effective anti-viral(s) aren't available until March-Sep 2021 (as estimated), all Fall sports, probably all Winter sports, and a reasoanble chance of all Spring sports (in other words the entire college sports year) may be cancelled from Sep 2020 thru Jun 2020.

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:41 pm

If there is a second wave, I think Dr Fauci also said we would be much more prepared.

Lets see what happens in the coming weeks before we start wild speculation about the entire 20-21 sports calendar.
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19