Final Scrimmage?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
hens4life
UD Class: 0

Final Scrimmage?

Post by hens4life » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 am

Any word when this is happening? I heard a rumor it was tonite at 7PM in the stadium. Confirmation please?

jd of de

Re: Final Scrimmage?

Post by jd of de » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:38 am

Confirmed time and place.

Can not confirm it’s a full blown scrimmage but like all DR practices at this time in camp, there will be plenty of 1s vs 1s.

And since there is nothing that does not get practiced their whole day today will be the same as the August 29th schedule.
Last edited by jd of de on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

hens4life
UD Class: 0

Post by hens4life » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks JD - I realize that it won’t be a full scrimmage, but didn’t want to drive to Newark
For nothing.

Big R
UD Class: 1975

Post by Big R » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 pm

On Saturday, DR said that they would get out in the stadium Tuesday night under the lights “and get some kicks and do some things like that.” He also said : “We had a “march the field” scrimmage on Thursday, and then we did this today, and then, on Tuesday, we’ll have another “march the field” situational scrimmage, and then we’ll shift to Delaware State. On Wednesday, we’ll have a meeting where we’ll introduce Delaware State to our team and that will be ... eight days out from the actual game.”

So, I don’t expect that it will be a full scrimmage, but there may be few interesting things to see.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:50 pm

I haven't seen postings about the practices with officials that were conducted on Aug 15 & 17. Any insights from those practices/scrimmages?

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Will Knight was the best player in the scrimmage tonight IMO. Pat Kehoe threw real well both on long and intermediate routes, ran the option real well and looked real comfortable. Henderson also had moments but didn't throw as consistent. Mario Farinella played about half the snaps after missing Saturday. Lots of rotating on both Lines tonite. Townsend returned almost all the kicks and looked comfortable doing so. The defense had trouble tackling Wil Knight who just looks great running with Speed, balance and power. He also caught some passes out of the backfield and looks good doing it. Frank Burton looks good to me at DE...Looking forward to next week.

eshorebird

Post by eshorebird » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm

On Bluehens.com, they have Kitchen listed @ 290 and DT, so he's moved from DE? And Ashworth listed @ 255... any chance he's playing DE?

Big R
UD Class: 1975

Post by Big R » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:19 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 pm
Will Knight was the best player in the scrimmage tonight IMO. Pat Kehoe threw real well both on long and intermediate routes, ran the option real well and looked real comfortable. Henderson also had moments but didn't throw as consistent. Mario Farinella played about half the snaps after missing Saturday. Lots of rotating on both Lines tonite. Townsend returned almost all the kicks and looked comfortable doing so. The defense had trouble tackling Wil Knight who just looks great running with Speed, balance and power. He also caught some passes out of the backfield and looks good doing it. Frank Burton looks good to me at DE...Looking forward to next week.
John, thanks for the report! Was it full tackling, or “thud”?

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:04 am

Primarily Thud

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:49 am

From yesterday's posts, it seems that the staff is moving towards what I had hoped to see with big men at DT(Kitchen and others in the >285 range) and moving our former DTs to DEs(Ashworth and Burton who should be strong at DE. Walsh( nice size at DE) must be looking good from our present depth chart. I've wondered how Morris, Covatto,and others are looking at DT with Kitchen obviously our leader.

Covatto has returned to his former weight according to UD info. Has he showed any increase in speed and bull rushing?

Only a limited amount of info, but somewhat encouraging that we can at least match with size on the Dline. :)
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:33 am

eshorebird wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 pm
On Bluehens.com, they have Kitchen listed @ 290 and DT, so he's moved from DE? And Ashworth listed @ 255... any chance he's playing DE?
Now that we've moved to a 4-3 the positioning will take care of itself. What works will be the norm. Of the top 6, Walsh has only played DE and Ashworth & Hemingway seem more comfortable inside while Kitchen, Burton & Mauro are flexible. Weight is certainly a factor but those overly concerned need to concentrate more on the skill level then the poundage.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:18 am

Kitchens & Ashworth at tackles has looked devastating. Both demand a double-team.

But Henzone is correct; we’ve got a lot of flexibility with that front 4 and different combinations at LB just adds to where and how we bring pressure.

The front 7 has 14 guys that will see meaningful playing time.

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:22 am

What's going on at the field today. It looks like a camp.
"IRWT", In Rocco We Trust

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:32 am

My bad, I forgot DE Hall who will be back soon I hope .
Last edited by Henzone on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:35 am

dovetail wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:22 am
What's going on at the field today. It looks like a camp.
Believe it’s the band.