Week 1 Depth Chart

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HenFromWA
UD Class: 2019

Week 1 Depth Chart

Post by HenFromWA » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:12 pm

The Delaware Football Twitter page tweeted the Week 1 Depth Chart. Find it here:

https://twitter.com/DelawareFB/status/1 ... gr%5Etweet

badassmotherclucker
UD Class: 1900

Re: Week 1 Depth Chart

Post by badassmotherclucker » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:04 pm

Last edited by badassmotherclucker on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chicken of War
UD Class: 2000

Post by Chicken of War » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:12 pm

Dominic Covatto over Ashworth and Chi Chi Amachi over Darien are the only two surprises I see. Not earth shattering but not what I expected. That's good news because I think the Darien and Ashworth are good players which should bode well for the team if someone beat each of them out.
Caveat gallus bellum. (Beware the chicken of war!!)

MonkeyDog
UD Class: 2001

Post by MonkeyDog » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:47 pm

If we aren’t in a position to compete and make the playoffs this year, which from what I’ve read that’s the case, I would have went with Henderson just to see what we have there and maybe season him a bit before next year. Otherwise we will be starting a 5th year senior at QB on a .500 team and not knowing what our future (either Henderson or the freshman) will give us. Just my opinion though

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:47 pm

Ashworth came in in the 230's a little light in the azz for DT but he can still play and Amachi had a great camp. How about Mauro at the KAT position?

UDan
UD Class: 2025

Post by UDan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:35 pm

MonkeyDog wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:47 pm
If we aren’t in a position to compete and make the playoffs this year, which from what I’ve read that’s the case, I would have went with Henderson just to see what we have there and maybe season him a bit before next year. Otherwise we will be starting a 5th year senior at QB on a .500 team and not knowing what our future (either Henderson or the freshman) will give us. Just my opinion though
I see this team competing this year, and I'm not wearing blue-and-gold-shaded glasses when I say that. I figure we'll see Henderson in spots... He may be too electric an athlete to keep off the field, quite simply. However, Kehoe has been sharp and dependable all camp and is an unquestioned leader of this team, in my eyes.
.500 is hardly a foregone conclusion (optimism!), though this year's schedule is a mammoth task. It all starts with DSU! Let's focus on those Hornets.
Image Daniel Steenkamer, HERO Sports FCS Campus Correspondent: Delaware | Follow on Twitter @dsteenkamer6 & Instagram @delaware.hero_fcs

Maddog@76
UD Class: 1976

Post by Maddog@76 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:56 pm

You got that right Dan. One game at a time. All the focus should be on the Hornets and be ready to execute on the 29th. Go Hens! Wayne Hanby

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Really hope I'm wrong, but looking at the schedule and considering all the experience we lost from last season, feels like a 6 to 7 win team and on the outside looking in on the playoffs. Just really hard when you're starting the season with essentially 2 guaranteed losses in NDSU and Pitt...and you can almost consider Nova a 3rd guaranteed loss. Getting to 8 wins and making the playoffs would be a tremendous accomplishment.

On the positive side, we have experience at QB and O-line, and FBS talent at RB. Hoping the new offense can put more points on the scoreboard this season, and that our defense, while young, will have a chance to bring pressure and win the turnover battle. We'll need a lot to go right to win 8+ games, but if we aren't 3 and 1 going into the Pitt game, we may have our answer on the playoffs. Regardless, let's take care of business next Thursday night and really put a hurting on the Hornets!

UD1Hens
UD Class: 2009

Post by UD1Hens » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:25 am

The schedule certainly is not a forgiving one. Every road game is a challenge in the CAA, then you throw in an FBS Power 5 team, and oh by the way the most dominant FCS program in the past decade in NDSU, you definitely have your hands full. I am very excited to see the blend of experience and youth. We flat out need guys to take the next step from a rotational piece to a bonafide CAA playmaker. One thing I feel we are dismissing with the offense is just how much of an upgrade Jared Ambrose will be as an offensive coordinator. He is creative and will help each player maximize their value and potential while creating a dynamic attack.

Teams grow and change from September through November and we saw that last year with our Hens. But I think we will find our answer as to what type of team the 2019 version will be by 10pm on Sept 8th after traveling to URI. Up first, DSU.
Goal: Delaware playoff football talk at the table on Thanksgiving Day.

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:20 am

I found the depth chart a bit puzzling as I saw some different combinations in the last week or so. It will all play out on Thursday.

I'm looking for an 8-4 season and a win against Nova. Do this and the playoffs could well be in the picture. 8 wins with a Nova loss doesn't do it for me. We desperately need that end of the year win to move the program forward. Danny had talent in his first 2 years and the results were modest. Now hopefully he's added the right coaches to the staff and although we're young I 'm looking for weekly growth. Not an easy task but that's what he was hired to do. A thin line between success and disappointment lies ahead.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:43 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:47 pm
Ashworth came in in the 230's a little light in the azz for DT but he can still play and Amachi had a great camp. How about Mauro at the KAT position?
I'm shocked to read the 230's for Ashworth. Has he returned to the usual 260 now that he carried before? Did he have a problem maintaining lbs last season? I felt that even at 260 DE was his best position. He is a beast with total effort on every play and needs to be on the field a lot. If our depth is reasonable in the DL, it will bode well for those guys being subbed regularly and performing better especially in the second half of games.

Are the UD measurements correct as of the beginning of preseason? last year? and will they change these to the present as the preseason is complete?
These stats are valuable to a point, but the condition of the players and their abilities are even more important. Cams awesome photos reveal a lot about their physical condition. Items like fat, arm strength, etc become clearer.

Covatto- how does he look regaining the added lbs from the previous season? He had lacked fast footwork before, but the added bulk, if muscle, will make him a more valuable player at DT blocking up the center of the los.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:16 am

Amachi came out of obscurity for me, but great for him. Gilmore at RG was a little surprising. Covatto over Ashworth was a surprise, but I suspect they wanted a little more weight in the middle. We discussed that a lot last year, but Ashworth stuck. He played hard and I thought better as the season went on. Mauro at KAT surprised me a little too. I like Mauro a lot and hope he plays well. I think he may have put himself in the doghouse last year after with a 15 yard penalty call at a key time in one of the games.

Henzone
UD Class: 1970

Post by Henzone » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:10 am

BlueHenBobby wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:16 am
Amachi came out of obscurity for me, but great for him. Gilmore at RG was a little surprising. Covatto over Ashworth was a surprise, but I suspect they wanted a little more weight in the middle. We discussed that a lot last year, but Ashworth stuck. He played hard and I thought better as the season went on. Mauro at KAT surprised me a little too. I like Mauro a lot and hope he plays well. I think he may have put himself in the doghouse last year after with a 15 yard penalty call at a key time in one of the games.
Pretty ignorant post considering Ashworth was the #1 returning tackler. He will be a major contributor this season as he was last.

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:22 am

Henzone wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:10 am
BlueHenBobby wrote:
Pretty ignorant post considering Ashworth was the #1 returning tackler. He will be a major contributor this season as he was last.
What exactly is your problem? You are the Board Bully. Read the post. I like Ashworth and am more than glad to see him back. I liked the way he played last year. Got a really great view of his play at Stonybrook last year and liked what I saw. Read the post. Again, what is your problem?

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:28 am

Henzone wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:10 am
BlueHenBobby wrote:
Ashworth is still a very good football player. A lot of rotations will be realized on the DLine and I am sure he will still be an integral part of the Defensive plans.