1x Transfer Proposal

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
jd of de

1x Transfer Proposal

Post by jd of de » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:07 pm

First proposed a year ago by the B1G and tabled at that time, a NCAA working group is currently considering a 1x / don’t have to sit transfer rule.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/287 ... ligibility

Henzone

Re: 1x Transfer Proposal

Post by Henzone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:16 am

jd of de wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:07 pm
First proposed a year ago by the B1G and tabled at that time, a NCAA working group is currently considering a 1x / don’t have to sit transfer rule.

If passed , the availability of an impact transfer at the FCS level will again diminish. The grad transfer rule has already taken quite a few prospects from the FCS teams but this new rule will have a much larger impact. NDSU does it the right way in concentrating on high school recruits and the rest of the division will have to make some adjustments for sure.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:39 am

Henzone wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:16 am
jd of de wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:07 pm

If passed , the availability of an impact transfer at the FCS level will again diminish. The grad transfer rule has already taken quite a few prospects from the FCS teams but this new rule will have a much larger impact. NDSU does it the right way in concentrating on high school recruits and the rest of the division will have to make some adjustments for sure.
For sure this is a big change and will have an impact. But are we still going back to this "right way" nonsense? Guess MI isn't doing it "the right way" either then?

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:04 am

M.I. not happy at all. Any decent recruit we manage to get out of H.S. who could play at a higher level is fair game. Horton and Daly could just change jerseys.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Tampering or poaching should be met with SEVERE sanctions if this rule is passed. Daly and Walker were different than poaching of Horton.

Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:46 pm

I do not like this at all. When they commit to a school, they are taking up a scholarship and potentially affecting future recruiting...i.e.- Not a position of immediate need, focus recruiting elsewhere for more pressing needs and then you get left with a void. Sitting out a year forces the player to seriously think about the decision they are making vs making an impulsive move.
In ROCCO I Have Great Concern!

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:07 pm

Baltimore Hen wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:46 pm
I do not like this at all. When they commit to a school, they are taking up a scholarship and potentially affecting future recruiting...i.e.- Not a position of immediate need, focus recruiting elsewhere for more pressing needs and then you get left with a void. Sitting out a year forces the player to seriously think about the decision they are making vs making an impulsive move.
+1.

Screaming Chicken

Post by Screaming Chicken » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:23 am

I have a different perspective than most people. I simply ask...”What is in the best interest of the kid.” The players are trading their athletic ability for an education. A scholarship is a year to year agreement. The player OWES us NOTHING! If that kid perceives that the grass is greener, they should be able to do as they please and transfer without penalty.

If you create an environment where the player feels comfortable and believes this is his best situation then he will stay...if not, he will leave.

If any coach in America (or for that matter any person working a job) wants to leave their current employer, they don’t have to sit out a year. It’s shifting the power dynamic to the kid..it’s uncomfortable for the school and the coach but is what I believe is best for the players.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:28 am

Screaming Chicken wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:23 am
I have a different perspective than most people. I simply ask...”What is in the best interest of the kid.” The players are trading their athletic ability for an education. A scholarship is a year to year agreement. The player OWES us NOTHING! If that kid perceives that the grass is greener, they should be able to do as they please and transfer without penalty.

If you create an environment where the player feels comfortable and believes this is his best situation then he will stay...if not, he will leave.

If any coach in America (or for that matter any person working a job) wants to leave their current employer, they don’t have to sit out a year. It’s shifting the power dynamic to the kid..it’s uncomfortable for the school and the coach but is what I believe is best for the players.
+1000. And I bet our views represent a lot and maybe even a majority of folks. It is just basic freedom to be able to make choices. Things in society change all the time. Those who are successful adapt and succeed. Those that don’t ......

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:07 am

The subject is not worth debating as they will eventually move forward towards free agency and the obnoxiousness that will come with the result. The big will get bigger and better and the lessers will flock together and grabble for the crumbs. There is a system now that allows for a change in heart and direction but it comes with a small penalty of sitting out a year while everything is paid for you and you can get comfortable with your new situation. Still that's 5 years of freebies . The Hortons & Daleys will multiply for sure and the traffic moving up and down will be comical. If you don't get selected as a freshman starter you can pick up your ball and go elsewhere or worse yet if you do exceptionally well you can tell your teammates to kiss off and move on to another team you think might be better. Next these young man will even want to get paid.... coming soon ! :lol: :lol:

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:25 am

Is the NCAA just trying to be "fair" to strudent athletes or just choke off FCS football? Like to know what the NCAA's real plan for FCS football is.

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 am

BlueHenBobby wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:25 am
Is the NCAA just trying to be "fair" to strudent athletes or just choke off FCS football? Like to know what the NCAA's real plan for FCS football is.
We have to start scouting DII and other FCS teams to find some star "student athletes" we can pick up. There could be more scouting positions created by this NCAA move. .

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:50 pm

BlueHenBobby wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:25 am
With all due respect to everyone but:

You really think the NCAA cares one bit about FCS football? They care about what makes money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
They could care less if FCS dies tomorrow as it doesn't make them money.

It's no conspiracy theory just the facts of 2020. Nobody is out to screw UD,

I love UD but you need to take off the Blue Hen glasses to see the picture clearly.

It's like that 3rd CYM 7th/8th grade basketball team at any parish. It's nice that these individual's are getting to play but nobody outside of the players, coaches and parents care one bit.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:56 pm

Screaming Chicken wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:23 am

Student athletes have yet to reach "employee" status, though that may also be coming in the future. If and when that happens that is when I stop following "college" sports. If the athlete is an employee then there should be no requirement for them to be a student and they should have unlimited "eligibility". There are many excellent college athletes who just can't make it at the top professional level. So if two time Heisman Trophy winner OSU RB Archie Griffin ( who couldn't stick in the NFL) wanted to play 7 years at OSU at an annual salary of $250K or whatever and OSU wanted him, he should be able to do so under the "employee" model, including benefits (workers compensation, insurance, retirement funding, etc.). If the "employee" is no longer under contract he would be free to be employed by another University. If the "employee" is under contract, his contract could be sold to another University unless prohibited by said contract. Other issues will include the pay scale for different sports, positions, and star versus scrub with all of the ensuing Title IX complications on the Women's side. In effect, "college" sports would just become minor leagues for the NFL, NBA, Major League Baseball, NHL, etc. Unless you are really into minor league sports, why bother to watch "college" sports anymore? I know that I won't.