Spring Practice #1 2020

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
User avatar
Henzone
Posts: 10953
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:42 am

Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by Henzone » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:38 pm

Good to see all the old friends , familiar fans, and parents at the opening practice today. Former Hen Gino Gradkowski headed the celebrity list and at least a half dozen perspective recruits were on the sidelines. James Prince III , a Howard transfer was the most identifiable . I'm sure someone will come up with the rest of the high schoolers. Strong rumor that Ohio State transfer DL Brett Novick is already planning on joining the team this summer.

I'll let others identify the players that stood out but I'm so relieved #25 & #14 were in the starting lineup as we don't want any anxiety issues with our edgy posters again like last spring.

As I suspected we have #3 as the backup QB as of day 1.

Let's hope we get to see the balance of spring practice completed!
Image

Hensfansince03
Posts: 265
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:23 pm
UD Class: 2007

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by Hensfansince03 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:36 pm

Great Report Henzone. Hopefully we get some good spring practice updates throughout the term, and they dont send everyone home from campus because of Corona Virus.

Brett Novick

Twitter profile picture is him at UD. Not official yet but good sign.

https://twitter.com/bnovick57?lang=en

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/roster/brett-novick/

Walk on at Ohio State, Never Played. 6'1 275. At least 2 years of eligibility remaining? Walk on here or scholly?

mpwerrell
Posts: 431
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:27 pm

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by mpwerrell » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:50 pm

1st day starting OL:
Kroll LT
Brown LG
Henry C
Lynch RG
Trent RT

New OL coach, Stinespring, very loud. Not ranting but gets the player’s attention. Top five look impressive but depth is lacking at this point.

If Prince transfers (see HZ observations above) maybe he can get an exception to sitting out year (FCS to FCS).

User avatar
Henzone
Posts: 10953
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:42 am

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by Henzone » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:12 pm

Novick has 4 years left . Don't have a clue about schollies . It's always a mystery.
Image

User avatar
HenZoneNation
Posts: 4188
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:37 am
UD Class: 1998

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by HenZoneNation » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 am

Does anyone know if Reeder playing OLB or MLB? I hope they use him to rush the QB. Nickels and Buchanan were a very good combo last year. We need to get to the QB.
The Dude Abides!

User avatar
Henzone
Posts: 10953
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:42 am

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by Henzone » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am

HenZoneNation wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 am
Does anyone know if Reeder playing OLB or MLB? I hope they use him to rush the QB. Nickels and Buchanan were a very good combo last year. We need to get to the QB.
There is not a lot of info that can be disbursed after what appears to be the only 2 hours of practice that anyone will observe but here is one thing that I would like to share. " there has been a definite emphasis on blitzing ." Now that comes from a member of the defense through his dad and I'm sure it's certainly no secret that we stunk in that department so I'll pass that along. Time will tell just how effective or accurate that statement is. As for Colby, he was dressed but did not participate in any full team drills that I noticed , instead working on the side individually with a trainer.
Image

User avatar
UD '01 grad
Posts: 1573
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:44 pm
UD Class: 2001

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by UD '01 grad » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:39 pm

Good news on the blitzing/pressure front.

rooneyguy
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 am
UD Class: 1988

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by rooneyguy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:31 am

So, now that UD has cancelled spring football practice ....... have other CAA schools done so? If not, how does UD compete against that?

hens4life
Posts: 1803
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:48 am
UD Class: 0

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by hens4life » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:47 am

rooneyguy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:31 am
So, now that UD has cancelled spring football practice ....... have other CAA schools done so? If not, how does UD compete against that?
So I can hear it already - UDFB didn't have Spring practice, so that's why the Hens started off 1-3 & finished
with 4 or 5 wins, so let's give Rocco 5 more years! :oops:

User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 5709
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by jd of de » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:52 am

Why do the 15 spring practices have to happen in the spring?

Let it play out guys.

User avatar
Henny
Posts: 2844
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:02 pm
UD Class: 1985
Location: Newark De.

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by Henny » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:14 am

If it makes everyone feel better, JMU practices are cancelled too😀
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 5709
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by jd of de » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am

Reminder - Only UD & JMU fully fund scholarships. ie; pay room and board during the summer sessions. Were the NCAA to allow 15 practices in late May or June, 10 CAA schools would either be scrambling to find the money to hold practices or jumping through some other hoops to have those practices. UD & JMU players are already on campus and in classes.

Were that to happen, advantage UD & JMU.

User avatar
Henny
Posts: 2844
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:02 pm
UD Class: 1985
Location: Newark De.

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by Henny » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:19 am

jd of de wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:25 am
Reminder - Only UD & JMU fully fund scholarships. ie; pay room and board during the summer sessions. Were the NCAA to allow 15 practices in late May or June, 10 CAA schools would either be scrambling to find the money to hold practices or jumping through some other hoops to have those practices. UD & JMU players are already on campus and in classes.

Were that to happen, advantage UD & JMU.
Just another example of the championship level support provided by the administration to make it happen!
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 9055
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:04 am

No excuses then right Rob!!
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

User avatar
HenZoneNation
Posts: 4188
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:37 am
UD Class: 1998

Re: Spring Practice #1 2020

Post by HenZoneNation » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 am

Henzone wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am
HenZoneNation wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:49 am
Does anyone know if Reeder playing OLB or MLB? I hope they use him to rush the QB. Nickels and Buchanan were a very good combo last year. We need to get to the QB.
There is not a lot of info that can be disbursed after what appears to be the only 2 hours of practice that anyone will observe but here is one thing that I would like to share. " there has been a definite emphasis on blitzing ." Now that comes from a member of the defense through his dad and I'm sure it's certainly no secret that we stunk in that department so I'll pass that along. Time will tell just how effective or accurate that statement is. As for Colby, he was dressed but did not participate in any full team drills that I noticed , instead working on the side individually with a trainer.
Thank you HZ. That's excellent new about blitzing. Getting Reeder back is like getting a top level FBS recruit who's ready to play. I could not be more excited about Coach Rojas taking over as DC.

Go Hens
The Dude Abides!

Post Reply