What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
rooneyguy
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 am
UD Class: 1988

What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by rooneyguy » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:54 pm

Having taken the actions they have, the NCAA will have some other matters to address. For example, what about the scholarship athletes who do not get to compete this spring? Do they get another year of eligibility? What does that mean for the number of scholarships that can be offered in a given sport? The implications for recruiting are also deserving of attention.

User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 5709
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by jd of de » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:40 am

Scott Day’s personal thoughts on this week. Very well said.

https://twitter.com/sdday35/status/1238 ... 24931?s=21

And Chrissi

https://twitter.com/bluehensrawak/statu ... 55904?s=21

Once the curve has been flattened on the spread I have no doubt there will be answers to these questions.

For now, it’s about how not to be Wuhan or Italy, with Doctors deciding who lives and who dies because there aren’t the ICU beds and ventilators needed to care for everyone that’s sick.

UDJoe
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:04 am

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by UDJoe » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:13 am

As an organization, the NCAA has not always been known to make rational decisions (IMHO), but it seems they could resolve the loss of eligibility problem fairly easily: Simply give any spring-time athlete whose sport has completed less than half of the season another year of eligibility. The question of the accompanying scholarships is a more complex one because so many variables enter that picture for both the student and the institution. That might best be left to the individual conferences to figure out, but reasonable people ought to be able to agree to some formula to address those issues.

UDPat
Posts: 2259
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by UDPat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:30 am

With all due respect, I don't think this be a high priority at this time. Too much else to worry about.

Will the NCAA eventually have to deal with this? Yes But at this time would be foolish.

It's a very unfortunate situation for these athlete's no doubt. But we are in uncharted waters at this time.

The actual crisis comes 1st!!!!!!!
If the NCAA has 108 things to figure out during this crisis, what to do about scholarships comes around 95. IMHO
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 5709
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by jd of de » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:48 am

Agree with UDPat. Now that COVID-19 is here we need to learn how to manage it first. Addressing scholarship and eligibility questions isn’t a high priority at the moment.

In the end the affected student-athletes could be made whole, partially whole or become like the USA athletes that peaked for the 1976 Olympics.

rooneyguy
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 am
UD Class: 1988

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by rooneyguy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:36 am

jd of de wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:48 am
Agree with UDPat. Now that COVID-19 is here we need to learn how to manage it first. Addressing scholarship and eligibility questions isn’t a high priority at the moment.

In the end the affected student-athletes could be made whole, partially whole or become like the USA athletes that peaked for the 1976 Olympics.
Not sure that the student-athletes feel that way. Sooner rather than later is preferable for them -- especially seniors.

UDPat
Posts: 2259
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by UDPat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 am

rooneyguy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:36 am
jd of de wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:48 am
Agree with UDPat. Now that COVID-19 is here we need to learn how to manage it first. Addressing scholarship and eligibility questions isn’t a high priority at the moment.

In the end the affected student-athletes could be made whole, partially whole or become like the USA athletes that peaked for the 1976 Olympics.
Not sure that the student-athletes feel that way. Sooner rather than later is preferable for them -- especially seniors.
I could not disagree more, again we are in uncharted waters.

It's a very unfortunate situation.

If I'm the NCAA, today March 13, 2020 Those student athletes are NOT the priority. They will be in the future but not today or in the near future.
The priority: Making sure as few people get this virus and with that even fewer or hopefully ZERO fatalities.

Two kinds of people: 1) Get it 2) Don't get it

You are leaning towards #2
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9286
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:19 am

UDPat wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 am
rooneyguy wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:36 am
jd of de wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:48 am
Agree with UDPat. Now that COVID-19 is here we need to learn how to manage it first. Addressing scholarship and eligibility questions isn’t a high priority at the moment.

In the end the affected student-athletes could be made whole, partially whole or become like the USA athletes that peaked for the 1976 Olympics.
Not sure that the student-athletes feel that way. Sooner rather than later is preferable for them -- especially seniors.
I could not disagree more, again we are in uncharted waters.

It's a very unfortunate situation.

If I'm the NCAA, today March 13, 2020 Those student athletes are NOT the priority. They will be in the future but not today or in the near future.
The priority: Making sure as few people get this virus and with that even fewer or hopefully ZERO fatalities.

Two kinds of people: 1) Get it 2) Don't get it

You are leaning towards #2
No offense, though, I don't think there's much the NCAA really has to do at this point - once they've canceled their own stuff all of the entities that are part of the NCAA are just really listening to their own local government and health officials - those are the ones that are now actively dealing with the virus. The NCAA's not really in that business.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Hengrad07
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:10 pm
UD Class: 2007
Location: Philly

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by Hengrad07 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:46 am

I say let the scholarships expire... Universities are in the business of educating students.


UDJoe
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:04 am

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by UDJoe » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:59 pm

[quote="jd of de" post_id=372806 time=1584124213 user_id=26607]
https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/13/n ... oronavirus
[/quote]

Hooray for the NCAA. And I don't say that very often. But someone recognized that senior student athletes are in a terrible bind RIGHT NOW and can't wait to see how this all goes before accepting offers for jobs and/or graduate school. Those decisions can't just be postponed indefinitely. At least this helps them and their families see what the options may be. It may seem trivial to some, but it is not.

hens4life
Posts: 1803
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:48 am
UD Class: 0

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by hens4life » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm

UDJoe wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:59 pm
Hooray for the NCAA. And I don't say that very often. But someone recognized that senior student athletes are in a terrible bind RIGHT NOW and can't wait to see how this all goes before accepting offers for jobs and/or graduate school. Those decisions can't just be postponed indefinitely. At least this helps them and their families see what the options may be. It may seem trivial to some, but it is not.
I saw someone tweet KT after the NCAA made the announcement asking if UD would "great an additional 1 year scholarships to all spring athletes"?

Terrific question, but who knows if he will ever follow-up with CR in the issue. I would hope the answer is NO & just review on a case-by-case basis like ND FB does with its senior redshirts!

BlueHenBill
Posts: 6980
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by BlueHenBill » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:45 pm

hens4life wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm
UDJoe wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:59 pm
Hooray for the NCAA. And I don't say that very often. But someone recognized that senior student athletes are in a terrible bind RIGHT NOW and can't wait to see how this all goes before accepting offers for jobs and/or graduate school. Those decisions can't just be postponed indefinitely. At least this helps them and their families see what the options may be. It may seem trivial to some, but it is not.
I saw someone tweet KT after the NCAA made the announcement asking if UD would "great an additional 1 year scholarships to all spring athletes"?

Terrific question, but who knows if he will ever follow-up with CR in the issue. I would hope the answer is NO & just review on a case-by-case basis like ND FB does with its senior redshirts!
Presumably tthe granting of an addtional scholarship year to Spring athletes would apply to all class years, not just seniors and/or senior redshirts. Why should any Spring sport athlete of any class year be forced to lose a year due to the Coronavirus?

hens4life
Posts: 1803
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:48 am
UD Class: 0

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by hens4life » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:02 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:45 pm
hens4life wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm
UDJoe wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:59 pm


Hooray for the NCAA. And I don't say that very often. But someone recognized that senior student athletes are in a terrible bind RIGHT NOW and can't wait to see how this all goes before accepting offers for jobs and/or graduate school. Those decisions can't just be postponed indefinitely. At least this helps them and their families see what the options may be. It may seem trivial to some, but it is not.
I saw someone tweet KT after the NCAA made the announcement asking if UD would "great an additional 1 year scholarships to all spring athletes"?

Terrific question, but who knows if he will ever follow-up with CR in the issue. I would hope the answer is NO & just review on a case-by-case basis like ND FB does with its senior redshirts!
Presumably, the granting of an additional scholarship year to Spring athletes would apply to all class years, not just seniors and/or senior redshirts. Why should any Spring sport athlete of any class year be forced to lose a year due to the Coronavirus?
The NCAA "granting another year of eligibility" has NOTHING to do with any University handing out an additional year scholarship! I'm guessing CR will have to make that decision, together with the coaches, on a case by case basis!

BlueHenBill
Posts: 6980
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: What will NCAA do about scholarships?

Post by BlueHenBill » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:15 pm

hens4life wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:02 pm
BlueHenBill wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:45 pm
hens4life wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm


I saw someone tweet KT after the NCAA made the announcement asking if UD would "great an additional 1 year scholarships to all spring athletes"?

Terrific question, but who knows if he will ever follow-up with CR in the issue. I would hope the answer is NO & just review on a case-by-case basis like ND FB does with its senior redshirts!
Presumably, the granting of an additional scholarship year to Spring athletes would apply to all class years, not just seniors and/or senior redshirts. Why should any Spring sport athlete of any class year be forced to lose a year due to the Coronavirus?
The NCAA "granting another year of eligibility" has NOTHING to do with any University handing out an additional year scholarship! I'm guessing CR will have to make that decision, together with the coaches, on a case by case basis!
Agreed but all Spring athletes of whattever class year will probably be grnated an additonal year of eligibility. Further, Chrissi & the coaches would presumably make the decision regarding scholarhsip renewal for each eligible athlete. The critria should be explicit to svoid the appearance of any unustiifed disparate treatment.

Post Reply