When will College Football resume? Links and references.

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Re: When will College Football resume? Links and references.

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:32 am

Henzone wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:27 am
Gannonfan wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:04 am
Henzone wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:43 am
"You are not very bright, reread my post please. January Man is 100% correct. Thanks for the unnecessary UD football history. Well aware, But regardless of who has played for UD in the past, UD football has not been very good for a decade. Dispute that? "

The Blue Hens have a losing conference record over the last 15 years.
Henzone with his mandatory dig at KC. Hey, since you're a history buff, how many times did we play for the national title in those past 15 years and who was heading the program when we did? Take all the time you want to answer. 8)
KC's ability to field two exceptional teams can never be minimized. I enjoyed those seasons as did every Blue Hen fan. Ironically the last time he saw a NC game was 10 years ago while at UD. If I can credit him for his pluses then I certainly am entitled to comment on his misgivings leading to his dismissal as he was part of the 15 years of overall poor CAA play. We've been over this dozens of times. We need a coach who can deliver a NC and the consistency that comes with a top of the line program on and off the field. I'm still waiting.
Also ironical that since his dismissal he's gone on to win 9 playoff games elsewhere (even including a road win in the playoffs at nova), including getting to 3 different national semi-finals, while we've managed to make the playoffs just once in that time (going a mighty 0-1). Considering that you never credit him (heck you reference just two exceptional teams when he had at least three exceptional teams while at UD), I find it odd that you would include that as a reason why you consistently criticize him - you are the opposite of even-handed.

We were a top of the line program - three national championship trips in eight years, including winning one, while also producing the most playoff wins and best playoff record of any Atlantic 10/CAA team during that time, which also happening while the A10/CAA was the best conference in the nation. We were the top dog in the top conference. We had the longest string of consecutive home games, over several years, with averaging more than 20k fans (even eclipsing Montana) in all of I-AA/FCS. That sounds pretty top of the line to me - if we weren't top of the line then no one was. I'm sorry that your personal vendetta against the coach over private matters got in the way then, and even now, of appreciating how good we had it.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:35 am

Count me in as a Keeler fan and one who is still sorry he was forced out....... Not interested in debating it, Just my opinion.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:35 am

I wonder how many, if any, believe Rocco is the guy to lead us to that national championship? I can't imagine "he's the one".
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:42 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:35 am
Count me in as a Keeler fan and one who is still sorry he was forced out....... Not interested in debating it, Just my opinion.
Yup, same here. Given what we know now about the shenanigans going on behind the scenes, with people backstabbing Keeler and with Harker's agenda to deemphasize football, it's clear to anyone with a pulse that we shouldn't have gotten rid of Keeler under those circumstances. Not too many programs jettison a home-grown alum and future HOF coach - that's a distinction for which we might be in rarefied air.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:11 am

Gannonfan wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:42 am
HENJOHN wrote:
Yup, same here. Given what we know now about the shenanigans going on behind the scenes, with people backstabbing Keeler and with Harker's agenda to deemphasize football, it's clear to anyone with a pulse that we shouldn't have gotten rid of Keeler under those circumstances. Not too many programs jettison a home-grown alum and future HOF coach - that's a distinction for which we might be in rarefied air.
True Dat. Again, hard to believe. The self inflicted ones are the worst. Willful, arrogant self destruction. And the rest is documented history.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:48 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Always respect your opinion John.

Interesting how a factual statement turns some other people purple and into a total defensive mode.

Either the Blue Hens had a losing record in the CAA for the last 15 years or they didn't.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:11 pm

Henzone wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:48 pm
HENJOHN wrote:
Always respect your opinion John.

Interesting how a factual statement turns some other people purple and into a total defensive mode.

Either the Blue Hens had a losing record in the CAA for the last 15 years or they didn't.
I had a lot of factual statements too, interesting how you avoid all of those that don't fit your preconceived agenda. Riddle me this, is the program better now, the period from 2013 to 2020 (assuming we were playing) than we were for the period from 2002-2012, taking into account national impact, program support, and play on the field? Seems like a pretty straightforward assessment.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:15 pm

Gannonfan- You should run for the Mayor of Harleysville as you continually never deal with the original question but instead spin into a semi related rant . I'll repeat what I posted earlier. We've had a cumulative losing record in the CAA for the last 15 years. It has nothing to do with anything else except the 3 coaches who provide the W's and L's during that period and the fact that we've been in a depth spiral for longer then anyone wants to admit. I want and expect better.

Keeler's firing ,Brock's failure & Rocco's unimpressive start doesn't change my perception of what the UD football program could and should be. You want to shout Keeler is the best of a poor lot then do it when it's relevant or asked for.

My statement was not meant to be a referendum on Keeler, simply stating 54-62 is one sad CAA record .

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:37 pm

Henzone wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:15 pm
Gannonfan- You should run for the Mayor of Harleysville as you continually never deal with the original question but instead spin into a semi related rant . I'll repeat what I posted earlier. We've had a cumulative losing record in the CAA for the last 15 years. It has nothing to do with anything else except the 3 coaches who provide the W's and L's during that period and the fact that we've been in a depth spiral for longer then anyone wants to admit. I want and expect better.

Keeler's firing ,Brock's failure & Rocco's unimpressive start doesn't change my perception of what the UD football program could and should be. You want to shout Keeler is the best of a poor lot then do it when it's relevant or asked for.

My statement was not meant to be a referendum on Keeler, simply stating 54-62 is one sad CAA record .
Just because you're myopic doesn't mean the rest of us have to be. We know about your personal issues with Keeler - heck, you're the one who broadcasted them here for all to see - but if you want to laser-focus on the CAA regular season record (and group his in with your personal favorite Brock and with Rocco) to the exclusion of everything else then you're the one with the agenda.

Like I said, from 2002-2012, we went to three national title games (winning one) and we had the most playoff wins and the best playoff record of any A10/CAA team during that period. And that period happened to be the period when the A10/CAA was at the height of its national prominence as the best conference in all of FCS. We were the top dog in the top conference, and we went to the national title game on three separate occasions. Heck, everyone who played for Keeler made at least one trip to a national title game. Simply stating, that's one impressive record. 8)

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:39 pm

Top dogs in the top conference don't miss the playoffs 7 of the 11 seasons and only finish on top of the CAA pile twice in 11 years.

While you were coaching 4th grade soccer players I was actually at most of the contests we weren't dominating. No fun.

My agenda was indeed to reassure UDPat that most of us have been suffering for the last 15 not 10 years with a struggling program. If you enjoyed KC's act during his later years that's your business but somehow if I didn't it still becomes your business.

You continually look the fool.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:26 pm

Henzone wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:39 pm
Top dogs in the top conference don't miss the playoffs 7 of the 11 seasons and only finish on top of the CAA pile twice in 11 years.

While you were coaching 4th grade soccer players I was actually at most of the contests we weren't dominating. No fun.

My agenda was indeed to reassure UDPat that most of us have been suffering for the last 15 not 10 years with a struggling program. If you enjoyed KC's act during his later years that's your business but somehow if I didn't it still becomes your business.

You continually look the fool.
Talk about looking like a fool. So of those years from 10 to 15 years ago you added for emphasis, I guess the Hens were suffering making it to the chipper twice? This is about as delusional as you can get and that is saying a lot in 2020. And I can assure you that “most of us” is much more than your little gang. What do you guys do anyway now? And as the years drag on there will be fewer and fewer folks who even admit to being a KC hater. But there will always be the original Day Oner to serve as the last man standing. But hey, can you tell us again how good Walker looked in practice? Or maybe how much depth we’ve had at QB lately? Or perhaps recite Brock’s 3 prong plan and the need for it, just for nostalgia?

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:02 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
I don't envy KC one bit for having to put up with Harker, who was to stupid to realize that the football program was the face of UD.... :D

Rip Van Rocco on the other hand, has been given all the resources a coach could ask for and has just continued to push the football program further into irrelevancy. I hope his recruits are as talented as the Hero sports guys are making them out to be, we need a serious infusion of talent before we become like Penn or Cornell... :oops:
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 am

Since 2017 (Rocco's first season)

UD record vs. Cornell, Delaware State, Lafayette, Penn: 6-0

UD record vs. all other opponents: 13-16

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:30 am

UD '01 grad wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 am
Since 2017 (Rocco's first season)

UD record vs. Cornell, Delaware State, Lafayette, Penn: 6-0

UD record vs. all other opponents: 13-16
So that means what ? Rocco has losses to VaTech, Pitt and 2 to NDSU. Ain't nobody I know who coached at UD recently is beating those guys!

His career CAA record is 39-25, 13-11 @UD. Rocco is on my wait and see list. I'm not championing the guy.

Again, my comment was that the program has been in a downward spiral for 15 years. Hell, I expected UD to win and win and win after Tubby handed off the baton. When I watched a Blue Hen game I always had confidence in the program., year in and year out. It didn't drain because I had issues with KC's personality. It began when a coach who kicked azz in the NJAC began to have problems with 3-5 and 4-5 CAA seasons. When you lose with a future Super Bowler then you begin to wonder. Even Joe had to drag the team out of a 3rd place CAA finish and personally carry the team to an App State pounding the next season. 2-6 and 4-4 seasons followed. Another superstar QB proved to be the teaser that we were back and rolling after a NC final. But, 5th & 8th place finishes soon followed.

I don't know the answer why KC won all those conference games in D3 and wins 80% of his Southland games even now but he didn't do it here and neither has Brock or Rocco. Forget about the coaches , the program is what the record says it is and the posters on here who don't like me have to face the facts that the roller coaster ride is not what is/was expected by the University.

Hell, if Peterson has a string of poor seasons do you really think 2017 will make the Eagle crazies happy?

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:17 am

The common denominator with winning is always talent, If you have big talent like Flacco or Devlin, coaching gets a lot easier

KC was the perfect example of this point

The * would be if you don’t have enough talent you need a gimmick or be a special coach, And right now we have neither
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019