CAA fall football cancelled

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

CAA fall football cancelled

Post by bluehenbillk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:22 pm

Bruce Feldman - national college football writer on Twitter:

SOURCES: The CAA conference is expected to announce tomorrow that the league will not be playing football this fall
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by wacko4flacco » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:23 pm

It’s keelers fault
:x
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:30 pm

Now another tweet from Nicole Auerbach (maybe related to Red? Lol):

The CAA will have no league football schedule this fall, but teams who want to play an independent schedule can try to do so, source says, adding to what @BruceFeldmanCFB reported. Another domino falling ... Bruce and I laid this all out last Monday

bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:33 pm

JMU’s beat writer Greg Madia:

According to sources, the report regarding the suspension of CAA Football is partially true. I'm told CAA schools can still pursue a schedule outside of CAA play if they wish. (1/2)
Also according to sources, JMU still plans to play 2020 fall football as long as the NCAA still holds FCS postseason play.

My understanding is most CAA schools are expected to elect not to play, but JMU will play. (2/2)

bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:36 pm

Brian McLaughlin from Hero Sports says otherwise to JMU best writer:
I have a source from one of the CAA schools telling me it's a done deal, the conference as a whole will not participate this fall.

hendog

Post by hendog » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:43 pm

hope some teams still play but doubt they will on to 2021

UD27

Post by UD27 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:43 pm

The P5’s TV money may save their seasons, but everyone else can probably kiss this season goodbye.
"the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" Winston Churchill

bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:44 pm

McLaughlin/Hero sports also:

Read into this how you want ... but it sounds like James Madison may still play, regardless of what the CAA announces officially.

It was hard to see schools like Stony Brook (in NY) or Villanova (Philly) being able to play, obviously.

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:17 pm

Dios mio, if no football this year it will be the first time since the WWII years.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:30 pm

I hope that the CAA will leave the possibility of FB in the Spring still on the table. I wonder about all CAA Fall & Winter (until at least Jan 2021) sports?

bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:50 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:30 pm
I hope that the CAA will leave the possibility of FB in the Spring still on the table. I wonder about all CAA Fall & Winter (until at least Jan 2021) sports?
Doesn’t sound like it. If say JMU plays games in the fall they can’t play again in the spring.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:59 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:50 pm
BlueHenBill wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:30 pm
Doesn’t sound like it. If say JMU plays games in the fall they can’t play again in the spring.
IMO the reason the JMU sources used the line “if there is going to be FCS playoffs”.

Spring football is easy to throw out there but tough to execute. Football players bodies need that 12 month cycle. Other sports can pull it off, where as football will have a more difficult time playing 18 or 20 or whatever number of games in a 8 month window.

Info Hound

Post by Info Hound » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:43 pm

From the JMU board:

Per Brian McLaughlin, Elon, Towson and Delaware are considering also trying to have seasons.

Interesting, if true. What sort of schedule could we put together? Even if it was an 8 game schedule, you would need four opponents, assuming you play each home and away.

Towson, JMU, what other two are out there? Villanova and ??? Navy, only away I assume.

No Ivies, No MEAC, No Maryland, No Rutgers.

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:38 am

A call to Temple and Navy is in order to round out the schedule. Maybe UConn or UMass.....Could be home and homes against the CAA teams still considering playing?
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:46 am

Interesting sidebar is that the local area referees will no longer use regular whistles but instead battery operated devices. That being said the CAA shutdown was confirmed to me last night unfortunately by a reliable source. Delaware & Maryland HS ball may still possibly happen.