CAA fall football cancelled

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Info Hound

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by Info Hound » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:15 am

Info Hound wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:14 am
My view, and it looks like a minority opinion: If the team, or most of the team wants to play, assuming Chrissi can put together a schedule, can follow state and DC guidelines, then yes, play the games.

I don't care where I sit in the stadium, and I'll follow all rules, I will be there.

I am also not worried about any refunds of already paid money. Just credit me for next year.

For the teammates that want to play, they need to move on with their lives. Again, JMO.
Well, it was a nice thought, anyway. Hasta la vista.

Scott
UD Class: 0

Post by Scott » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:38 am

My son is in the Marching Band and either yesterday or the day before, Heidi sent an email to the entire band saying that as of that moment they were still planning to have Band Camp in late August as scheduled. She asked each member to respond as to whether they were planning to be on campus and participating in the band this upcoming semester.

I assume that the band season will be cancelled along with the CAA Football season but perhaps this is an indication that the University is considering playing an Independent football schedule.

Anyway, given that we are in the Covid-19 Era, does anyone have any songs to suggest for Heidi to include in the set list for this year. My first thought is "Don't Stand So Close To Me" by the Police.

hens4life
UD Class: 1981

Post by hens4life » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:44 am

It's OFFICIAL - Larger donors are getting calls from the UDAD! :roll:

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:46 am

jd of de wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 am

I’m convinced, play or don’t play, no eligibility will be lost this fall. Of course I’m also convinced that any program that does start the season will be shut down in 6 or 7 weeks
I saw an article a while ago - I believe it was on espn.com. Take it with a grain of salt as this is a fluid situation & has never happened before so we're in uncharted territory. But...the gist of the article was that the NCAA should/would treat eligiblity for 2020 like red-shirt determination. If teams played 5 or more games players would count a year of eligibility. If they played 4 or less games before getting shut down they'd retain the year.

So..my thought is if teams would "barnstorm" and play 6-8 games this fall I wouldn't expect them to get an extra year of eligibilty.

Either way it would cause utter chaos for rosters everywhere. It already has for baseball & football has more than 2x the players that baseball does.
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

jrk
UD Class: 2012

Post by jrk » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:26 pm

BlueHenBobby wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:56 am
For UD to play this fall would be a waste of time and money and more significant- put student athletes and students (and their families) in general at serious risk. Despite the staggering numbers there are some reasons for hope that this will end- Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are going into Phase III. Phase 1 and 2 results with regard to safety and antibody production were positive. Unfortunately we cannot rely on Americans to adhere to use of masks and social distancing that would have helped this pandemic dramatically. I'll miss Saturdays at the Tub and the road trips immensely but cancelling the season is the best move. Hopefully some good things will come out of this with regard to how football is organized.
Totally agree.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:35 pm

AstraZeneca is also having success with their Vaccine they are working on with Oxford. Fingers crossed.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:44 pm

As a former player, I would not want to play the season for the sake of just playing the season. What made playing football at Delaware so much fun was the crowd, the band, the pageantry and the ability of my parents to come watch me play. Playing in an empty stadium would be downright depressing and not worth it in my opinion. Just my 2¢.

Claw
UD Class: 1965

Post by Claw » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:55 pm

I soo agree with you Ralph

dsmil
UD Class: 2009

Post by dsmil » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:59 pm

Just got this in my inbox:

I hope this note finds you and your family safe and healthy.

As all of you know, we are facing uncertain and unprecedented times through the COVID-19 pandemic, and the health and safety of our people and our Delaware community continues to be our number one priority at the University of Delaware.

At 1 p.m. today, the CAA Football Conference will announce its decision to suspend competition for the upcoming fall football season due to continuing concerns associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.

In addition, as an athletic department, we have also made the difficult decision to suspend all fall sports at UD, which includes cross country, field hockey, men's and women's soccer and volleyball. We believe that the complexity of managing a complete competitive season (practice, home and away competitions, travel, etc.) would create significant risk to the health and safety of our people and our campus.

We have also decided that the sports of rowing, men’s and women’s tennis and men’s and women’s golf will not participate in fall competition.

While the entire CAA conference did not make a collective decision on sports outside of football, we felt it was necessary for us to align our decision for all UD fall sports. We recognize and respect that each full member conference school is in a different part of the country with different campus circumstances, however we believe that this is the right decision for us. There were several peer institutions competing in the CAA Conference that have made the same decision to suspend fall sports competition.

We can assure you that we will be relentless in our work to create a competitive season for our fall sports during the spring of 2021. There is nothing we want more than to have our student-athletes and coaches competing together for Delaware!

Please know how much we appreciate all of our Blue Hen student-athlete alumni and donors; we could not be more grateful for your support!

No matter what program you support, we all bleed Blue & Gold and staying united as a community is what makes us Blue Hens!

You can read the full release at BlueHens.com. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at athletics-dir@udel.edu.

Blue Hens Forever,

Signature
Chrissi Rawak
Director of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:04 pm

RalphD58 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:44 pm
As a former player, I would not want to play the season for the sake of just playing the season. What made playing football at Delaware so much fun was the crowd, the band, the pageantry and the ability of my parents to come watch me play. Playing in an empty stadium would be downright depressing and not worth it in my opinion. Just my 2¢.
As a former player, thanks for giving us your opinion.

Just an FYI: Like most I have been WFH the last 4-5 months. But I do sneak into the office maybe once a week. I'm here today in DT Wilm and I took a 2 block walk to get some lunch. I AM APPALLED at the lack of face coverings I saw in that 2 block walk. it's disgusting. Walking up and down the street with it in your hands does not protect. As I got back to the front of my building, I saw a coworker( I think he is a ****) but He's standing there with no mask not even in his hand. Says "Hey man what's up long time no see"

My response: "You should really be wearing a mask" and just kept on walking . Idiot!!!!!!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

UDJoe

Post by UDJoe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:05 pm

[quote=RalphD58 post_id=376632 time=1595004262 user_id=765]
[/quote]

A close friend was a D-1 offensive lineman and would constantly say that practicing football was "no fun at all" and that playing on Saturdays in front of the fans was the only time it was fun. And if you were one of the players who would NOT play on Saturdays, it was even less fun. So, I think you are making a good point about what the players themselves might feel. Just let them keep their years of eligibility and live to play another day.

HenFromWA
UD Class: 2019

Post by HenFromWA » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:22 pm

I will no longer be posting in this forum. I am so disappointed by and against the University’s decision to suspend fall sports, including football, that I will no longer be supporting or watching UD athletics.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:47 pm

BlueHenBobby wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:56 am
For UD to play this fall would be a waste of time and money and more significant- put student athletes and students (and their families) in general at serious risk. Despite the staggering numbers there are some reasons for hope that this will end- Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are going into Phase III. Phase 1 and 2 results with regard to safety and antibody production were positive. Unfortunately we cannot rely on Americans to adhere to use of masks and social distancing that would have helped this pandemic dramatically. I'll miss Saturdays at the Tub and the road trips immensely but cancelling the season is the best move. Hopefully some good things will come out of this with regard to how football is organized.
Cancelling the football season has brewing since March. There was a shot at football around May-early June when things calmed down in the initial hard hit areas. But now that 3/4 of the country is raging with the virus, there is no alternative. But it didn’t have to be this way. We needed leadership and we got worse than none. Thankfully, where most of us live, the Governors are at least tying without much help from the federal government. Imagine If your Governor passed an Executive Order AGAINST mandating masking and suing a city during a pandemic that is ravaging his own state? It is mind numbing. When you think it can’t get any worse, it does. Almost 75,000 cases and close to 1000 deaths yesterday .... in mid July.

Hopefully, we will get a vaccine in enough time that enough people can get it so the 2021 football season can take place with fans in the stands.

The January Man
UD Class: 1996

Post by The January Man » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:52 pm

Smart, sound, rational decision was made.

The season would have been a nightmare for sports teams. Problems with logistics, travelling, practices, rosters, support staff, coaches, etc....

Nothing really has changed with this since it began. July is no different than March. October will be no different either.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pm

So, is it time to alter the construction schedule and get a start on the East stands relatively soon?