CAA fall football cancelled

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by Hensfansince03 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:38 am

PghHen wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 pm
In all these posts and there was minimal mention about the players. Guys who have worked most of thier lives toward this goal and it was wiped out. I could not have imagined my senior year season ripped away. It would have been a devastaating life event.
Right now, I'm watching my two teenage daughters lose thier spring soccer season and their fall school season is in jeopardy. This is what they do and what they work for all year. Weekends in hotel rooms and weekdays practicing and working out.
All I can think about is how would I have felt if my last season at UD was taken away!!! Do I think it's political? Probably but it's not relevant when youn think about the players.
We all can watch a game next year and predict the outcome and be fans, these kids have had something taken away that can never be returned.
I'm sick to my stomach for everyone of them!

Former Hen - 84-89
So what happens now that the season has been cancelled? Will any seniors lose eligibility and careers are over or will there be waivers? Can they transfer to a team that will play? Will there be no workouts? Do the coaches get paid? How do we recruit? Will this set the program back years? It almost is like the school imposing the death penalty on our own program? Will programs that do play have an advantage going forward? A football program has to be a 12 month a year cycle. Looks like it is all going to be out of wack! How do they recover? A spring football season? How do they make up the financial losses? Will smaller schools end up dumping the football programs due to lack of money?

Lots of talk about some schools and conferences such as JMU and NDSU still playing. How can this be?

Scott
UD Class: 0

Post by Scott » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:10 pm

Henny wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:56 pm
Has anyone considered what a circus the Athletic Complex will be in the Spring? :shock:

Maybe they could do a triple header of Womens Lax, Mens Lax and Football. :)
I'm not convinced that there will be a Spring sports season but if they play football in the Spring then they also need to be playing soccer, field hockey and all of the other Fall sports.

I have seen posts refer to the "2nd Wave" and posts saying that "the virus isn't going to go away". The fact is, we don't know if there will be a 2nd wave and we don't know if it will just run its course and disappear. We first heard that the risk of the virus being impactful here was "minuscule" then we heard that it would go away when it warmed up in the spring and neither was correct. We are in uncharted territory. I am in the hope for the best but plan for the worst mode.

Wouldn't it be fun to have weekends in the spring where there are field hockey games on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons and football and lacrosse doubleheaders in the Stadium on Saturdays and soccer spread throughout the weekend.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:22 pm

IMO, it’s highly unlikely we seen anything resembling a football season next spring, followed by a fall season like we are used to seeing. Be happy if we do more than scrimmage against ourselves between now and Labor Day 2021.

The folks that do this for a living and have devoted their lives to football know more than I do. That said I know enough to know it’s going to be nearly impossible to play even 5 or 6 games in the spring and play another 11 that fall.

Beat Rutgers 2021 !!!

Info Hound

Post by Info Hound » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:27 pm

I agree, sring football is a "pipe dream".

I am hoping for a basketball season.

If there is no basketball, and there is no March Madness (again), then the NCAA itself is in jepoardy.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:02 pm

Info Hound wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:27 pm
I agree, sring football is a "pipe dream".

I am hoping for a basketball season.

If there is no basketball, and there is no March Madness (again), then the NCAA itself is in jepoardy.
Info Hound, Very unlikely that Basketball starts (if at all) any earlier than Jan/Feb or Spring. From what I have read, individuals are 19 times more likely to be infected with covid-19 indoors than outdoors.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:14 pm

Basketball is a easier sport to create a bubble. The COVID status this fall and late fall will have much to do with a basketball season. Enough people help stop the spread we have a chance. Enough people don’t care then we don’t. Pretty simple.

Firstand10BlueHens
UD Class: 2005

Post by Firstand10BlueHens » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:14 pm

It was inevitable since we can't get our sh*t together with containing the virus. Curious question though, sooo Rocco's contract? I wonder where that stands being that a make it or break it year is gone.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:35 pm

jd of de wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:14 pm
Basketball is a easier sport to create a bubble. The COVID status this fall and late fall will have much to do with a basketball season. Enough people help stop the spread we have a chance. Enough people don’t care then we don’t. Pretty simple.
Largely agree except for two points. One, Basketball involves much more travel than FB and thereby increases the risk for all Basketball personnel. Two, from the fans' perspective it is not nearly as risky (with restricted attendance and compliance with mandatory social distancing & face masks) to attend a FB (or any other putdoor sport) game than a Basketball (or any other indoor sport) game.

RalphD58
UD Class: 1998

Post by RalphD58 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:36 pm

Social Media Drama 101. It's going to be the downfall of society. People hiding behind personas talking $hit that they would never say to anyone's face. Obviously that's not the case for everyone, but it happens on every social media platform. I stick to sports, booze, food and dogs. There's no hate on any of those things and if there is, you're an a$$... 😂.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:44 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:35 pm
jd of de wrote:
Largely agree except for two points. One, Basketball involves much more travel than FB and thereby increases the risk for all Basketball personnel. Two, from the fans' perspective it is not nearly as risky (with restricted attendance and compliance with mandatory social distancing & face masks) to attend a FB (or any other putdoor sport) game than a Basketball (or any other indoor sport) game.
Except for 2 points. Who said fans would be present? I did not. And point 2; the CAA basketball schedule can be played by bus only trips. It ain’t fun, but that’s the way it was done until recently.

Info Hound

Post by Info Hound » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:29 pm

jd of de wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:44 pm
Who said fans would be present?
Clearly, I need to develop some new interests.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Info Hound wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:29 pm
jd of de wrote:
[ Who said fans would be present?
The wife said last night “you need to get a hobby”

I said “I have two hobbies. From Labor Day to mid-March it’s Delaware sports and from April 1st to Labor Day it’s golf.”

She said “oh ... yeah I guess you do”

It’s all perspective ... this too shall pass and we’ll be cheering from our seats at some point. I’m doing what I can.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:02 pm

jd of de wrote:
BlueHenBill wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:35 pm
jd of de wrote:
Except for 2 points. Who said fans would be present? I did not. And point 2; the CAA basketball schedule can be played by bus only trips. It ain’t fun, but that’s the way it was done until recently.
No overnight trips?

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:13 pm

jd of de wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 pm
Info Hound wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:29 pm
jd of de wrote:
[ Who said fans would be present?
The wife said last night “you need to get a hobby”

I said “I have two hobbies. From Labor Day to mid-March it’s Delaware sports and from April 1st to Labor Day it’s golf.”

She said “oh ... yeah I guess you do”

It’s all perspective ... this too shall pass and we’ll be cheering from our seats at some point. I’m doing what I can.
jd of de, You don't attend UD Baseball and/or Men's Laxgames into May? If not, you should because you are missing some entertaining games. Surely you can work your golf schedule around Home Baseball (2-5 home games per week starting at 3PM or 6PM-7PM Tues/Wed/Fri, 12PM-1PM or 6PM-7PM Sats, and 12PM-1PM Sun) and Home Men's Lax (1-2 Home games per week 3PM or 6PM-7PM weekdays (usually Weds) , 3PM or 6-7PM Fri, or 12PM-3PM or 6-7PM Sat).

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:06 am

Maybe a picture will help.

MLB is not welcome in Canada.

My passport is nearly worthless.

And still they don’t understand.