UD shifting plans for fall 2020

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

chapelstwasted
UD Class: 1987

Re: UD shifting plans for fall 2020

Post by chapelstwasted » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:43 pm

The universities are really taking advantage of this bioweapon to rip off their students and parents. Free Winter session isn’t going to cut it when only 10 courses are going to be offered. With 99% of the buildings shuttered, millions of $$$$$$ saved on utilities.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:03 pm

My daughter is scheduled to attend UD this fall. Her HS senior year moments wiped away (prom, graduation, etc) now the excitement of moving into a dorm, new friends, etc. taken too.

Much worse in life can happen but it still isn’t easy for an 18!year old girl to hear.

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:07 pm

darthdave wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:03 pm
My daughter is scheduled to attend UD this fall. Her HS senior year moments wiped away (prom, graduation, etc) now the excitement of moving into a dorm, new friends, etc. taken too.

Much worse in life can happen but it still isn’t easy for an 18!year old girl to hear.
Have her take online classes at community college & knock out her gen eds! You will save a lot of $$$
#ProtectTheFlock

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:17 pm

Hengrad07 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:07 pm
darthdave wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:03 pm

Have her take online classes at community college & knock out her gen eds! You will save a lot of $$$
I talked to her about this even before Covid. Told her the money saved she can have towards a future home. She wanted no part of it but with things online, that conversation is back on the table

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:35 pm

The networks you build in person will always be better than building the same relationships via zoom.

And the network you build at UD will bear more fruit than the network at DelTech.

It’s not the ideal situation but that extra tuition this fall could be worth it Dave. Especially is we can have something closer to normal come spring term. Just a thought.

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:44 pm

jd of de wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:35 pm
The networks you build in person will always be better than building the same relationships via zoom.

And the network you build at UD will bear more fruit than the network at DelTech.

It’s not the ideal situation but that extra tuition this fall could be worth it Dave. Especially is we can have something closer to normal come spring term. Just a thought.
Most likely she will be at UD where I want her...I imagine she will still have the ability to interact with fellow students through online projects etc but the deltech option is something to think about. She would still end up at UD whether it be this spring or in fall of 21’

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:16 pm

If I understand this correctly, few UD students will be on campus. If I were a new student to UD and want the full campus experience, I would probably delay my enrollement until Sep 2021, or a least Feb 2021. I would take some courses at a Community College that are transferable to UD to ease my course burden or get a leg up on an earlier graduation and perhaps grad school.

With the decision about Fall Sports, i am not surprised abput UD's revised plans for the Fall semester. With UD 's latest plan, I don't see Winer Sports happening until Feb 2021 at the earliest.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hens05alum
UD Class: 2005

Post by hens05alum » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:24 pm

If one of my children was matriculating to UD this year, particularly from out of state, we'd be holding off at least a semester. If that isn't acceptable to the school, so be it, and we'd take our money elsewhere when life returns to normal.

I have a great affinity for UD, and appreciate the friends I made and degree I recieved. I understand their predicament. But there's no way I'd spend what UD wants for some Zoom classes that I can get credit hours for elsewhere.
V for Villanova, V for veritable certainty of victory over Delaware.

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:52 pm

#ProtectTheFlock