College Football TV Schedule and Game Discussion

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Re: College Football TV Schedule and Game Discussion

Post by Gannonfan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:37 pm
Just thought it was interesting that UM went from having students in class to on line and then telling them to stay in their dorms all because of COVID while having other students play a football game. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Easier to control/monitor a smaller group. Football program consists of what, 150-200 people? Campus at Ann Arbor has something like 44,000 students (I looked that up, more data). Do the things you can do safely, don't do the things you can't do safely. Nothing more, nothing less.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:48 pm

The NBA had their bubble while COVID raged outside.

Colleges can’t afford that but if people are willing to follow prodigals it can be semi-recreated. Getting 18-22 year olds to go on strict lockdowns rules has got to be tough.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:08 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:41 pm
Hens79 wrote:
Just thought it was interesting that UM went from having students in class to on line and then telling them to stay in their dorms all because of COVID while having other students play a football game. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Easier to control/monitor a smaller group. Football program consists of what, 150-200 people? Campus at Ann Arbor has something like 44,000 students (I looked that up, more data). Do the things you can do safely, don't do the things you can't do safely. Nothing more, nothing less.
Thanks for the reply’s today. We have disagreed from day one on this. Not really trying to change anyone’s mind. But you forgot to add make money to the things that impact the do’s and don’t list, otherwise UD would be playing, right? At least you aren’t saying this is the flu and we are rounding the corner.

Anyway, the Big10 locals are a little worried. But it looks like UD and Newark and IU and Bloomington followed the same path in trying to control the virus and have kept the numbers under some control. Apparently many of the other places are still stumbling to let “science win”.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... s-worried/

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:08 pm
Gannonfan wrote:
Hens79 wrote:
Thanks for the reply’s today. We have disagreed from day one on this. Not really trying to change anyone’s mind. But you forgot to add make money to the things that impact the do’s and don’t list, otherwise UD would be playing, right? At least you aren’t saying this is the flu and we are rounding the corner.

Anyway, the Big10 locals are a little worried. But it looks like UD and Newark and IU and Bloomington followed the same path in trying to control the virus and have kept the numbers under some control. Apparently many of the other places are still stumbling to let “science win”.

Of course money/livelihood impacts the decisions of do's and don'ts. Doesn't mean it needs to forgo safety, though. You can follow the safety (masks, social distance, wash hands and disinfect) and you can do a great many things. You're a ChemE too, or at least were, correct? I can make a chemical plant pretty safe to be in and operate, even with a lot of dangerous components, assuming that things are done safely. Once people aren't doing those things, then bad things happen. Same with the virus - masks/distance/clean and you're in pretty good shape. As we've seen in the US and around the world, don't do those things and it spreads and eventually finds people who can't afford to get it. The only corner we're rounding is getting closer and closer to some kind of vaccine. At least we hope so.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:20 am

Gannonfan wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:50 pm
Hens79 wrote:
Gannonfan wrote:

Of course money/livelihood impacts the decisions of do's and don'ts. Doesn't mean it needs to forgo safety, though. You can follow the safety (masks, social distance, wash hands and disinfect) and you can do a great many things. You're a ChemE too, or at least were, correct? I can make a chemical plant pretty safe to be in and operate, even with a lot of dangerous components, assuming that things are done safely. Once people aren't doing those things, then bad things happen. Same with the virus - masks/distance/clean and you're in pretty good shape. As we've seen in the US and around the world, don't do those things and it spreads and eventually finds people who can't afford to get it. The only corner we're rounding is getting closer and closer to some kind of vaccine. At least we hope so.
For sure, if we don’t do the things we all know work, the virus spreads and “eventually finds people who can’t afford to get it”. I will also add about half the country cant afford to get it as they have one of those common comorbities. But that simply adds emphasis to your basic point. It is about controlling the spread not about how many young and mostly healthy college football players will get sick. And playing football is about as far from doing those things we all know work to control the spread. We have already seen that constant testing doesn’t work. That was shown for all to see in a dramatic example. Maskless people in close contract will get the virus and spread it. Period. Full stop. I get it the NFL is a professional sports league with well paid players and there may be different risk -reward calculations. And even though testing isn’t the paneca, the NFL surely tests a lot more than any college could. But to go through whatever colleges are doing with college kids so they can play football during a worldwide pandemic that has killed 225,000 in 8 months so far with daily rates going over 1000 a day again and daily cases hitting 75,000 again, I just find that misplaced for college kids. And juxtaposing playing a football game while a campus is on a stay at home order only drives home the point, for me anyway. That is my 50,000 foot view. I base it on understanding the underlying data and that college football players are student athletes. At least they is what we hear all the time here at UD, that they are students first.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:07 am

Hens79 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:20 am
Gannonfan wrote:
Hens79 wrote:

For sure, if we don’t do the things we all know work, the virus spreads and “eventually finds people who can’t afford to get it”. I will also add about half the country cant afford to get it as they have one of those common comorbities. But that simply adds emphasis to your basic point. It is about controlling the spread not about how many young and mostly healthy college football players will get sick. And playing football is about as far from doing those things we all know work to control the spread. We have already seen that constant testing doesn’t work. That was shown for all to see in a dramatic example. Maskless people in close contract will get the virus and spread it. Period. Full stop. I get it the NFL is a professional sports league with well paid players and there may be different risk -reward calculations. And even though testing isn’t the paneca, the NFL surely tests a lot more than any college could. But to go through whatever colleges are doing with college kids so they can play football during a worldwide pandemic that has killed 225,000 in 8 months so far with daily rates going over 1000 a day again and daily cases hitting 75,000 again, I just find that misplaced for college kids. And juxtaposing playing a football game while a campus is on a stay at home order only drives home the point, for me anyway. That is my 50,000 foot view. I base it on understanding the underlying data and that college football players are student athletes. At least they is what we hear all the time here at UD, that they are students first.
I hear all that, but I also know what it means to kids (college and younger) to get to go to school and to see their friends and to play their sports and do their activities, even if no one is allowed to be there to watch. My boys have been lucky and are completing their 4th straight week of full time, 5 days a week in person school, and the older two are finishing their fall high school sports seasons, and they are far better in terms of mental health than they were being confined to the house mainly for the 4 months of the last school year. It doesn't need to be the extremes in either direction, there are ways to safely exist during the pandemic and still get to do a lot of what would be considered normal, especially the younger you are. Wear masks, socially distance whenever possible, wash your hands, and disinfect surfaces. That really does work.

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:12 am

Gannonfan wrote:
Hens79 wrote:
Gannonfan wrote:

Just to clarify a point. '79 is no ChemE. Not a doctor either. Bean counter is closer to the mark.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:45 am

Again GF, not trying to convince you. But we are, or at least I am only talking about college football. Football is different than, soccer, cross country and baseball etc .... And I am not talking about not doing most things except crowded bars and restaurants and large gatherings. I saw my 32 year old son pitch 10 times between the DELCO Semipro league and the one in DE starting in the beginning of July when a month earlier it looked liked there would be no seasons. It all worked out fine. We are simply debating a matter of degree here. I think going the fairly extraordinary steps to play college football with the risk of spread for that particular sport for college student athletes isn’t worth it.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:48 pm

I want as much college sports to be played as anyone. However, the optics don't look good when colleges that have closed their campuses or allow limited attendance and little in-class education proceed to play Football and Basketball games in communities where covid-19 infections are again on the rise. Athletics appear to be given a higher priority than anything else, which puts the lie to colleges' claimed priorities. I include UD in this because I am not sure that things are or will be sufficiently different (with an increased but still very limited number of students allowed on campus for a modified Spring Semester with presumably limited classroom instruction) from the Spring & early Fall 2020 to start playing Basketball in late Nov and then Football in 2021 from late Feb into at least late April. I aslo find it strange that the Big-10 isn't even allowing the families of players to attend their children's games.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The January Man
UD Class: 1996

Post by The January Man » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:59 pm

Coastal Carolina is I-A?? And now ranked?? Just beat GA Southern. WTF.

What rock have I been living under??!!

Uggghhh.

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:03 pm

The January Man wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:59 pm
Coastal Carolina is I-A?? And now ranked?? Just beat GA Southern. WTF.

What rock have I been living under??!!

Uggghhh.
13 years ago, Coastal Carolina lost in Dover.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /272442169

For those keeping score, this was same Hornets team that lost in Newark over Thanksgiving weekend later that year.

Rankings, especially this year, are a joke until everyone has played 5-6 games. Would anyone really bet on Coastal versus, say, an unranked Oklahoma on a neutral field? Did Penn State look like "No. 8/9" against Indiana today?

But, yes, you put money/commitment behind a program, a lot becomes possible.

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:45 am

Speaking of Penn St. - Indiana, I still can't get over that last play and did the Indiana QB get the nose of the ball over the line before going out of bounds?!?!?

Crazy play on the two pt. conversion for Indiana to get the win.
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:42 am

Henny wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:45 am
Speaking of Penn St. - Indiana, I still can't get over that last play and did the Indiana QB get the nose of the ball over the line before going out of bounds?!?!?

Crazy play on the two pt. conversion for Indiana to get the win.
the last quarter of that game made my day. I'm not a PSU fan so the final decision on the official review MADE MY DAY :P :lol: 8). No way that call could be released with definitive video. :D

Franklin sure blew that game by allowing hid team to score when they should have run out the clock.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:15 am

Just a great game, unless of course you’re a big PSU fan.

PSU had a slew of turnovers, missed FG’s, hard just to blame the RB and Franklin for scoring but they certainly share the blame.

What a drama filled game winning play, real speed I thought he threw The ball forward.
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:09 am

bluehenbillk wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:15 am
Just a great game, unless of course you’re a big PSU fan.

PSU had a slew of turnovers, missed FG’s, hard just to blame the RB and Franklin for scoring but they certainly share the blame.

What a drama filled game winning play, real speed I thought he threw The ball forward.
The Big 10 had some good games this weekend. Good to see them back playing.