UD Budget

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Re: UD Budget

Post by 77HEN » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:47 pm

Any Cuts But to the football team should be on the table.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Re: Live Construction Footage

Post by bluehenbillk » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:42 pm

jd of de wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:48 am
Over the next year we are going to hear about some university dropping from DI to DII, Bet on it.
I think at UD and throughout the CAA you’re already hearing this - and if teams aren’t going to drop that they may no longer offer the full amount of available scholarships, especially for football. W&M may be leading the charge - reading and hearing that Williamsburg alums are up in arms.

Will be an interesting follow.
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

hendog

Post by hendog » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:40 am

Dont have any sympathy for the management at ud.That stupid president harker that the useless BOT

hired scewed football,they could have moved up to maybe the aac and would be playing right now and for years to come ,when are people going to realize that football is a big revenue producer either use it or drop it but stop being half assed.

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:24 am

Lots of fat & many cuts to coaching & support staffs! https://bluehens.com/staff-directory
#ProtectTheFlock

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:33 am

quite lengthy compilation :shock: heavy duty :wink:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

hendog

Post by hendog » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:07 am

could cut that list in half and still be okay

bluedev

Post by bluedev » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:57 am

hens05alum wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:35 pm
Gannonfan wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:35 pm
So where is the bulk of the $250M deficit coming from? Athletics, by reports over the years, have always been around net zero in terms of revenue, so not playing those sports shouldn't have caused a major issue in terms of missing revenues. So does that mean most or all of this is from the fact that students aren't in the residence halls (or are only there at 20% capacity)? I know back in the spring the University was not at their enrollment targets - where did we end up with that? $250M is a huge number - that's like 1/4 of the endowment right there.
It's a great question. Do half the undergrads live on campus normally? Room and board was $13,208 in 2019. Other expenses and 'books and supplies' were another $2800, so room, board and other expenses were a shade over $16k to payers last year. Let's say that half the students live on campus and call that 8k students. Supposing they each pay the university $15k for room & board, that's only $120M in lost revenue.
And even that number (the $120m) from above is overdone. The $2.8k in other expenses are usually a guess at student indirect expenses for books & other living expenses & are not revenue items for UD. I think the 8k is close to normal on campus residents. 1.4k are there now paying room & board. That leaves 6.6k student decline. However, those students aren’t eating anything - so no board. That is approx. $4k per student per year. Only one dining hall is open - Pencader. So food, employee & building operations savings at the other locations. A good portion of the residential campus is also closed.
So my calc. Here would be a loss of 6.6k on campus students @ approx. $10k per student (the room fee loss) = $66 million. I realize I’m likely missing some added cost due to virus mitigation & online learning, etc. I would think savings from closing down most of the dorms & multiple dining halls would offset some of this. Even if all of this is somehow off - maybe it could get up to $100m.
I’d really like to see how they came up with the projection - don’t understand how they get close to the $250 million.

hendog

Post by hendog » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:25 pm

they wouldnt lie about it would they?

jd of de

Re: Live Construction Footage

Post by jd of de » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:04 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:42 pm
jd of de wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:48 am
Over the next year we are going to hear about some university dropping from DI to DII, Bet on it.
I think at UD and throughout the CAA you’re already hearing this - and if teams aren’t going to drop that they may no longer offer the full amount of available scholarships, especially for football. W&M may be leading the charge - reading and hearing that Williamsburg alums are up in arms.

Will be an interesting follow.
Towson was cutting athetic spending before COVID; it's going to get ugly there soon I would think.

00bluehen
UD Class: 2000

Post by 00bluehen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:56 am

Last edited by 00bluehen on Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hens05alum
UD Class: 2005

Post by hens05alum » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:24 am

bluedev wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:57 am
hens05alum wrote:
Gannonfan wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:35 pm
So where is the bulk of the $250M deficit coming from? Athletics, by reports over the years, have always been around net zero in terms of revenue, so not playing those sports shouldn't have caused a major issue in terms of missing revenues. So does that mean most or all of this is from the fact that students aren't in the residence halls (or are only there at 20% capacity)? I know back in the spring the University was not at their enrollment targets - where did we end up with that? $250M is a huge number - that's like 1/4 of the endowment right there.
It's a great question. Do half the undergrads live on campus normally? Room and board was $13,208 in 2019. Other expenses and 'books and supplies' were another $2800, so room, board and other expenses were a shade over $16k to payers last year. Let's say that half the students live on campus and call that 8k students. Supposing they each pay the university $15k for room & board, that's only $120M in lost revenue.
And even that number (the $120m) from above is overdone. The $2.8k in other expenses are usually a guess at student indirect expenses for books & other living expenses & are not revenue items for UD. I think the 8k is close to normal on campus residents. 1.4k are there now paying room & board. That leaves 6.6k student decline. However, those students aren’t eating anything - so no board. That is approx. $4k per student per year. Only one dining hall is open - Pencader. So food, employee & building operations savings at the other locations. A good portion of the residential campus is also closed.
So my calc. Here would be a loss of 6.6k on campus students @ approx. $10k per student (the room fee loss) = $66 million. I realize I’m likely missing some added cost due to virus mitigation & online learning, etc. I would think savings from closing down most of the dorms & multiple dining halls would offset some of this. Even if all of this is somehow off - maybe it could get up to $100m.
I’d really like to see how they came up with the projection - don’t understand how they get close to the $250 million.
With the travel restrictions, I wonder if the lack of foreign students paying full freight could be a larger part of the shortfall. From what I can gather, http://www1.udel.edu/oiss/resources/statistics.html https://www.udel.edu/apply/undergraduat ... s/#finance UD has about 2800 international students and the bill for them to attend looks quite a bit steeper than even out of state students that are US citizens.
V for Villanova, V for veritable certainty of victory over Delaware.

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:07 am

Guys

The topic is the UD financials it's a relevant topic but general Covid and politics posts are not. Please refrain.

Thanks!
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:23 am

hens05alum wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:24 am
bluedev wrote:
hens05alum wrote:

With the travel restrictions, I wonder if the lack of foreign students paying full freight could be a larger part of the shortfall. From what I can gather, http://www1.udel.edu/oiss/resources/statistics.html https://www.udel.edu/apply/undergraduat ... s/#finance UD has about 2800 international students and the bill for them to attend looks quite a bit steeper than even out of state students that are US citizens.
Good point - international students are a gold mine for colleges.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

hens05alum

Post by hens05alum » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:27 pm

Henny wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:07 am
Guys

The topic is the UD financials it's a relevant topic but general Covid and politics posts are not. Please refrain.

Thanks!
(Heart emoji)

hens05alum

Post by hens05alum » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:28 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:23 am
hens05alum wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:24 am
bluedev wrote:

Good point - international students are a gold mine for colleges.
It still doesn't explain $250M, but it could certainly be at least part of the puzzle. I have no idea if the UD will ever be required to provide more detail than they already have, but I will be very interested to see the explanation if it ever comes on a $250M shortfall. That number is just astoundingly large.