UD Budget

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

Re: UD Budget

Post by wacko4flacco » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:42 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:07 am
Hens69 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:19 am
The dramatic upheaval in college and university education is not because of the Corona Virus but has been brewing for a long time. Corona has simply exposed it for what it is. Those interested in how we arrived at this point should read: "The End of College" by Kevin Carey, Riverhead Books, 2015 (sorry I misplaced my copy of Turabian).
This book is an easy read, well presented and very well edited.
Of course the college landscape has been changing over the decades and especially now with remote learning. But c’mon man, “exposed it for what it is” and wacko too with his “administrative state” and 77 for his “social studies indoctrination” comments. The “agenda” is clear. Anyway, first year enrollment is down 16% nationally this year. WSJ, NYT, Forbes just reported on it in the last couple of days. That one year dramatic drop IS due to COVID. And even though overall enrollment is only down 4%, on campus living is down in many places like at UD. This is a once in a century catastrophe with far ranging impacts. This does not absolve colleges from charging too much and having too many mega hundred thousand dollar administrator salaries. In addition, UD remains shameless with their cries of a $288 M deficit. But to pretend that COVID doesn’t play a major impact is ...well .....

Of course COVID 19 has been a major, immediate cause of problems for colleges, but you are conflating two issues. One is the valid economic disruption of COVID 19 in the short term. The other is the massive cost structure universities have created for themselves aiding almost everyone but the students. It’s objective fact. COVID 19 has put terrible economic pressure on a bloated bureaucracy ill prepared to weather storms like this. Athletic budgets are not the only ones who will face some reality checks.

Also, what you perceive as an “agenda” is part of the problem with our discourse today IMO. It’s too bad really. At some point we need to stop ascribing motives, usually political and start looking at some objective facts. If you want to forward a list of salaries both for professors and administrative staff I think it would be pretty informative,

COVID is a terrible thing. If there is a bright side, some restructuring of the college landscape and thinning out of all the schools both private and public may not be a bad thing.

P.s. that last part is called opinion (subjective) for those not knowing the difference. 😜
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:37 pm

I am not conflating anything. My “agenda” comment was aimed at the “administrative state” term you used and terms others used. They are very loaded, agenda laden terms in my opinion. If you read my posts, you would see I agree that administration costs and salaries have increased dramatically. But COVID is the once in a century trigger. It just is. Just as it is for the airline and hospitality industries. My question for everyone is if you feel this strongly that universities like UD have an “administrative state”, have been “exposed” and “indoctrinate” students, why do you contribute to them? I don’t get it. I don’t get a lot of things lately so I guess this shouldn’t be any different.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:56 am

I did some research this weekend: UD list 20 sports ... 8 men & 12 women's

Maximum scholarships of UD sports
... men 129.1 & women 143.0
... men 47.4% of total & women 52.6%
... enrollment: men 42.7% & women 57.3%

Total Maximum Scholarships - 272.1

Maximum Scholarships - Men
Baseball 11.7
Basketball 13
Football 63
Golf 4.5
Lacrosse 12.6
Soccer 9.9
Swimming & Diving 9.9
Tennis 4.5

Maximum Scholarships - Women
Basketball 15
Cross Country/Track 18
Field Hockey 12
Golf 6
Lacrosse 12
Rowing 20
Soccer 14
Softball 12
Swimming & Diving 14
Tennis 8
Volleyball 12

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:01 am

Hens79 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:07 am
Hens69 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:19 am
The dramatic upheaval in college and university education is not because of the Corona Virus but has been brewing for a long time. Corona has simply exposed it for what it is. Those interested in how we arrived at this point should read: "The End of College" by Kevin Carey, Riverhead Books, 2015 (sorry I misplaced my copy of Turabian).
This book is an easy read, well presented and very well edited.
Of course the college landscape has been changing over the decades and especially now with remote learning. But c’mon man, “exposed it for what it is” and wacko too with his “administrative state” and 77 for his “social studies indoctrination” comments. The “agenda” is clear. Anyway, first year enrollment is down 16% nationally this year. WSJ, NYT, Forbes just reported on it in the last couple of days. That one year dramatic drop IS due to COVID. And even though overall enrollment is only down 4%, on campus living is down in many places like at UD. This is a once in a century catastrophe with far ranging impacts. This does not absolve colleges from charging too much and having too many mega hundred thousand dollar administrator salaries. In addition, UD remains shameless with their cries of a $288 M deficit. But to pretend that COVID doesn’t play a major impact is ...well .....
COVID is certainly the trigger, but it's just sped up what's been happening for a good decade now. Enrollments nationally in the US have been down 11% in the past decade (even before COVID) and a full 20% of private US colleges were in terrible financial health before COVID even happened. Colleges did a great job of increasing costs almost always ahead of government plans to reduce costs for students (so the money flowed almost directly to the colleges), but that gravy train only lasts so long and only as long as you can keep getting more and more students. The baby boom echo is over in terms of school enrollment and that, coupled with real concern over the value of a college education at any cost, has meant significant issues for many colleges. And again, that was the landscape before COVID.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardved ... 4aaac111a1
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:47 pm

SID Scott Day was let go due to a budget cut. Really tough to hear. Great guy and great at his job.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:46 am

Wow, that is bad news about Scott. Good guy indeed and good at his job.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:31 am

Udforever1 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:47 pm
SID Scott Day was let go due to a budget cut. Really tough to hear. Great guy and great at his job.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SDDay35/stat ... 08/photo/1

Info Hound

Post by Info Hound » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:12 am

Scott has done a fantastic job for us, and this is very disappointing. It clearly has nothing to do with his performance, but is rather a view at just how bad things are financially in the UDAD and UD generally.

Scott, you will land on your feet running! Of that I am confident!

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:57 am

Info Hound wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:12 am
Scott has done a fantastic job for us, and this is very disappointing. It clearly has nothing to do with his performance, but is rather a view at just how bad things are financially in the UDAD and UD generally.

Scott, you will land on your feet running! Of that I am confident!
Yes sir! A great friend of the BHTC. Just ask, Scott delivered. His next employer will be getting a great employee and human being.

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:52 am

Really sad news about a great guy. I recently officiated at my niece’s wedding (outdoor) and used some thoughts from Scott’s blog. He has some good advice for all of us.
Keep the faith,Scott, God will help you through this!

UDJoe

Post by UDJoe » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 am

Don't think for a minute that Scott is the only one who will lose a job at UD. Obviously, there will be more to come. Uneasy time in UD Athletics.

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:42 am

UDJoe wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:22 am
Don't think for a minute that Scott is the only one who will lose a job at UD. Obviously, there will be more to come. Uneasy time in UD Athletics.
What about UD at large? They have a lot of people on the phones right now calling, looking for financial donations.

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:10 am

Was Manny Rojas ever added to the UD FB coaching rooster?
#ProtectTheFlock

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:18 am

Assistant Baseball Coach has been removed from the UDAD web site!

https://bluehens.com/sports/baseball/ro ... entel/2787
#ProtectTheFlock

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:36 am

Hengrad07 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:10 am
Was Manny Rojas ever added to the UD FB coaching rooster?
Yes. If you go to the roster first then to the coach listing, he is there. For some reason if you choose coaches first he is not listed.