couldn't resist

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 6027
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: couldn't resist

Post by jd of de » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:31 am

I don’t buy the whole winter term, no students at basketball games thing. There are thousands of students on campus during winter term.

User avatar
Cluck U
Posts: 5267
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: couldn't resist

Post by Cluck U » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:08 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:54 pm
Does anyone here popping off know that Pfizer didn’t take any money from the federal government? They were NOT part of “Warp Speed”. So who is taking credit for what? Anyway, the CEO has publicly said many times they didn’t want their process politicized. They probably didn’t want what another HCX. Whatever happened with that? I read a lot here about it including a WSJ article.

Anyway, the vaccine news is potentially great news. But it will have minimal impact on an FCS spring season as it simply won’t be widely distributed by that time. Is that odd to say?
Well, thank goodness we might have football with attendance because someone decided to pop off $1.95 Billion (as part of operation Warp Speed) to make sure Americans got access to any vaccine. In fact, 100 million doses will be available for Americans, including football fans...with another 500 million doses if needed, if the vaccine proves effective.

Pfizer (and hey, BioNTech, too, among others) agreed to be a part of that Warp Speed effort, and even made sure to announce those contracts, in a press release...back in July.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... 005438/en/

And, hey, for some odd reason, Pfizer's spokesperson also decided to say this (and it is a direct quote): "Pfizer is one of various vaccine manufactures participating in Operation Warp Speed as a supplier of potential COVID-19 vaccine."

Thank goodness for Daniel Dale, from CNN, for doing the research instead of simply putting up a gotcha' headline for the uneducated masses.

"Daniel Dale
@ddale8
·
23h
Pfizer now says it *is* a participant in Warp Speed. Spokesperson notes its significant purchase agreement with the US government.

Pfizer's head of vaccine development had told NYT it wasn't part of Warp Speed because it didn't take research $, but that's not the whole story."



And yeah, the opportunity to fulfill a $2B contract, is not usually an incentive for any company to get things done. :lol:

In the end, it appears that the whole world rallied (and continues to rally, although some rallies are considered essential, while others not so much) to find an answer to COVID-19...in part so that we could all get back to playing/watching football (or was that futball for most people on this planet) and Operation Warp Speed was put in place to help finance those world-wide efforts and to make sure Americans would benefit from any results of that accelerated effort.

Of course, those pesky Danish minks might just throw a damper on the whole vaccine thing. Not sure we're going to play The Minks as part of our OOC schedule this spring, but I'd avoid scheduling them if I could.
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49 (60.8%), 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52 (62.3%), 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.

Hens79
Posts: 3721
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: couldn't resist

Post by Hens79 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:29 pm

Welcome back Cluck. The CEO said they got zero dollars for the development because they didn’t want it politicized. Yah think??? No investigative journalism needed. He has said it many times including the other day. I do believe my own eyes and ears.

User avatar
Cluck U
Posts: 5267
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: couldn't resist

Post by Cluck U » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:29 pm
Welcome back Cluck. The CEO said they got zero dollars for the development because they didn’t want it politicized. Yah think??? No investigative journalism needed. He has said it many times including the other day. I do believe my own eyes and ears.
And, as the CNN reporter reported, that isn't the whole story.

Of course it isn't the whole story. The headlines said Pfizer didn't participate in Operation Warp Speed...and that is provably false.

The actual press releases, including Pfizer's, from July state Pfizer WAS participating in Operation Warp Speed. Or do those earlier announcements now, for some reason, not count? Hard to deny a $2B contract and a July press release stating that your company is part of the Warp Speed effort. :lol:

Everyone should be happy that, in record time (some would say Warp Speed, while other (more nuanced) football fans might say Ludicrous Speed), with record efforts, and record incentives, we may have found a vaccine. Odd that many people criticized someone when they said it would happen.

However, here it is, the Pfizer pfacts as some might call them, for all eyes to see.

"NEW YORK & MAINZ, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE (Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced the execution of an agreement with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the Department of Defense to meet the U.S. government’s Operation Warp Speed program goal to begin delivering 300 million doses of a vaccine for COVID-19 in 2021. Under the agreement, the U.S. government will receive 100 million doses of BNT162, the COVID-19 vaccine candidate jointly developed by Pfizer and BioNTech, after Pfizer successfully manufactures and obtains approval or emergency use authorization from U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)."

“We’ve been committed to making the impossible possible by working tirelessly to develop and produce in record time a safe and effective vaccine to help bring an end to this global health crisis,” said Dr. Albert Bourla, Pfizer Chairman and CEO. “We made the early decision to begin clinical work and large-scale manufacturing at our own risk to ensure that product would be available immediately if our clinical trials prove successful and an Emergency Use Authorization is granted. We are honored to be a part of this effort to provide Americans access to protection from this deadly virus.”



There is is right there, for your own eyes...the Chairman and CEO of Pfizer, honored to be part of, "this effort." What effort? Why, Operation Warp Speed, of course...which is specifically mentioned in the press release signed off by Pfizer.

And yes, they did say they did the manufacturing at their own risk...plenty of reasons for that. But, they also said they were part of the Warp Speed effort to provide Americans access to the vaccine. Just the facts.

Contract. Press release. Warp Speed. It is all right there.

Oh, and after some places reported that the Pfizer CEO said they were not a part of Warp Speed, Pfizer put out another statement that, they were, in fact, a part of Operation Warp Speed.

By the way, what part of a contract is political? And what part of the July press release, put out by Pfizer...which included their Warp Speed affiliation...was political? :?: And what part of admitting that Pfizer did, in fact, participate in Operation Warp Speed (because they did...it is right there in writing...and Pfizer's spokesperson did, in fact, put out another statement yesterday clarifying the CEO's earlier statement by stating that they were (once again) a part of Operation Warp Speed), is political? Nothing. Unless someone wants it to be.

But, the fact is, Pfizer was part of Operation Warp Speed. Facts should be reported, and successful efforts celebrated.

It appears that we are left, after Pfizer's clarification that they actually were participating in Operation Warp Speed, with only people that, for some odd reason, would attempt to stick with the strange story that Pfizer was not a participant in Operation Warp Speed.

In the meantime, ND beat Clemson, and FCS looks to be playing football (with playoffs) in the spring. Let's all hope we can enjoy cold drinks and good company at an outdoor tailgate at TubbyLand, and hope Danny can finally (geez, with more financial and administrative support than any UD coach, and just about any FCS coach, has ever had, Danny has no excuse not to) get us our first playoff win since the K.C. Keeler era.
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49 (60.8%), 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52 (62.3%), 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 9385
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: couldn't resist

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:26 pm

Welcome back CLUCK!!
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

User avatar
bluehenbillk
Posts: 11489
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 am
UD Class: 1991
Location: Poipu Beach, HI/spots in PA

Re: couldn't resist

Post by bluehenbillk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:53 pm

Welcome back Cluck!!!!
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

User avatar
hoopster
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:49 am
UD Class: 1993
Location: Pocopson, PA

Re: couldn't resist

Post by hoopster » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:03 pm

For what it's worth, Duke announced there will be no fans in attendance for their basketball games. Actually, no winter sports at Duke will have fans in attendance, and games played on campus will only include essential management personnel and broadcast media. If there ever was a year to play at Duke, this would have been the year without their "crazies" in attendance!
GO BIG BLUE!

Hens79
Posts: 3721
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: couldn't resist

Post by Hens79 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:32 pm

It wasn’t just the “headlines”, it was the CEO. Whatever the dudes name is, I heard the CEO say a few times over the last two days they did their own development so it wouldn’t be politicized. You might not like it, but he said it. And after the HCX circle jerk, can you blame him? And what part of “at our own risk” is that hard to understand? Same for “if our clinical trials prove successful and approval or an EUA is granted”? And if they aren’t, Warp Speed pays them zip. No successful vaccine equals no production contract and big payday. That is what is called a contingent contract. But more important than quibbling about being part of or not part Warp Speed, is known owing what Warp Speed. Pfizer took all the upfront risk.

Super glad it looks like Pfizer has a chance to be successful for all our sakes and hope they get a big payday. But who do you think is making this “political” and bit$hing that the news should have come last week?

And hey, hopefully Newark continues to do what It can to control the spread of the virus by continuing the limit on gatherings. I read the last City Council vote was only 4-3. The next one should be 7-0 with the increased virus spread. And just heard the Gov is close to implementing new restrictions. Here we go.

Not counting on football in the Spring and surely no tailgating but the Fall looks more promising.

77HEN
Posts: 4295
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Out West & Far Away

Re: couldn't resist

Post by 77HEN » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:13 pm

Welcome back Cluck! One report said Pfizer did not take the R&D money because government would tie their hands and slow the work down. That is traditional and not any kind of comment about the current gov. Gov bureaucracy and red tape goes way, way back in time. Realize, there is no better incentive to do R&D than a a multi billion $$$ commitment to buy.

Of course, the timing of the Pfizer announcement is quite curious. The timing of FDA emergency authorization of Eli Lilly antibody treatment is in the same category. Stay tuned as the world turns.

User avatar
Sally in RI
Posts: 1050
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:38 pm
UD Class: 1974
Location: Westerly, RI

Re: couldn't resist

Post by Sally in RI » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:51 am

Cluck U wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:08 pm
Hens79 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:54 pm
Does anyone here popping off know that Pfizer didn’t take any money from the federal government? They were NOT part of “Warp Speed”. So who is taking credit for what? Anyway, the CEO has publicly said many times they didn’t want their process politicized. They probably didn’t want what another HCX. Whatever happened with that? I read a lot here about it including a WSJ article.

Anyway, the vaccine news is potentially great news. But it will have minimal impact on an FCS spring season as it simply won’t be widely distributed by that time. Is that odd to say?
Well, thank goodness we might have football with attendance because someone decided to pop off $1.95 Billion (as part of operation Warp Speed) to make sure Americans got access to any vaccine. In fact, 100 million doses will be available for Americans, including football fans...with another 500 million doses if needed, if the vaccine proves effective.

Pfizer (and hey, BioNTech, too, among others) agreed to be a part of that Warp Speed effort, and even made sure to announce those contracts, in a press release...back in July.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... 005438/en/

And, hey, for some odd reason, Pfizer's spokesperson also decided to say this (and it is a direct quote): "Pfizer is one of various vaccine manufactures participating in Operation Warp Speed as a supplier of potential COVID-19 vaccine."

Thank goodness for Daniel Dale, from CNN, for doing the research instead of simply putting up a gotcha' headline for the uneducated masses.

"Daniel Dale
@ddale8

·
23h
Pfizer now says it *is* a participant in Warp Speed. Spokesperson notes its significant purchase agreement with the US government.

Pfizer's head of vaccine development had told NYT it wasn't part of Warp Speed because it didn't take research $, but that's not the whole story."



And yeah, the opportunity to fulfill a $2B contract, is not usually an incentive for any company to get things done. :lol:

In the end, it appears that the whole world rallied (and continues to rally, although some rallies are considered essential, while others not so much) to find an answer to COVID-19...in part so that we could all get back to playing/watching football (or was that futball for most people on this planet) and Operation Warp Speed was put in place to help finance those world-wide efforts and to make sure Americans would benefit from any results of that accelerated effort.

Of course, those pesky Danish minks might just throw a damper on the whole vaccine thing. Not sure we're going to play The Minks as part of our OOC schedule this spring, but I'd avoid scheduling them if I could.
Not political, huh? And to think my silly little topic about presidents and super bowl mvp's got taken down.

Sally in RI

Hens79
Posts: 3721
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: couldn't resist

Post by Hens79 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:28 am

Yep Sally. Pretty comical taking down a thread about POTUS-elect 46 being a former UD football player.

Now back to watching the completion of the WAC punch list. I read about a blue wall. I liked that.

Henweigh
Posts: 1694
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:00 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: couldn't resist

Post by Henweigh » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:03 pm

Careful, don't want to watch the screen too closely. Might catch covid through the internet or something.
Keepin' it real.

User avatar
Cluck U
Posts: 5267
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: couldn't resist

Post by Cluck U » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:16 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:32 pm

And hey, hopefully Newark continues to do what It can to control the spread of the virus by continuing the limit on gatherings. I read the last City Council vote was only 4-3. The next one should be 7-0 with the increased virus spread. And just heard the Gov is close to implementing new restrictions. Here we go.
Hey, we can agree on something (along with the ridiculous state of our football program since the NeverKCers destroyed things - ever notice that the universe has a great sense of humor?). Sheesh...the CAA has been greatly watered down since its heyday, which coincided with the KC era, and we can't even run with the medium dogs despite having more money and better facilities than most. Not even a big fish in a smaller, weaker, pond anymore. But hey, we have spirited slogans or something.

Back to the local news...gotta' be careful about those headlines and news snippets though...4-3 wasn't really 4-3...the devil is in the details. However, when put into perspective, the silly suggestion to allow 60 people at Newark gatherings looks absolutely lockdownish in light of how many people were at a recent gathering.

In any event, things are looking darker, or brighter, depending on one's outlook. Certainly, UD football is on its way to...uh...more wins (hopefully) than Towson this spring. Maybe its not too late to get the Tigers back on the schedule and count it as a forfeit to get Danny another all-important CAA win.
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49 (60.8%), 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52 (62.3%), 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.

User avatar
Cluck U
Posts: 5267
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: couldn't resist

Post by Cluck U » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:17 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:26 pm
Welcome back CLUCK!!
Thanks, John!
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49 (60.8%), 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52 (62.3%), 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.

User avatar
Cluck U
Posts: 5267
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:44 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Blue Hen Country!

Re: couldn't resist

Post by Cluck U » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:17 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:53 pm
Welcome back Cluck!!!!
Thanks, Bill!
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49 (60.8%), 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52 (62.3%), 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.

Post Reply