Culture

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
UDFootballFan
UD Class: 1900

Culture

Post by UDFootballFan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:44 am

So with Will & Debo leaving.....is it a cultural issue? Meaning they see they are going to be subpar, a coaching issue or they just wanted a bigger program?

Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Re: Culture

Post by Cluck U » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:04 pm

UDFootballFan wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:44 am
So with Will & Debo leaving.....is it a cultural issue? Meaning they see they are going to be subpar, a coaching issue or they just wanted a bigger program?
Valid question.

Another question...if these kids don't have any loyalty to the school and the uniform, then why should fans have loyalty to the players?

Of course, if these kids leaving is simply coming down to them chasing a Big School dream, then those folks who were wishing UD would drop the veneer of academics and just bring in football players are now going to have to also face the fact that UD is in a position similar to a small, local hardware store facing the world of Home Depots, Lowes, and Amazons. :lol:

Which, of course, brings us back to the question of football's long term viability. With concussions and other health related problems, the eventual break off of the P5 from the NCAA as it now is, and the fact that those big schools (and whatever the G5 will be) will be taking all of our best talent, and the impact those transfers - and the subsequent transfers needed to replace our losses - will have on team chemistry each year (remember all of the arguments about transfer impact on the fra-gee-lay psyches of some of our players :lol: ), and the diminishing interest from fans, is it worth it for UD to try to field a team on any big scale? Who wants to watch free agent college football at this level?
Tubby, 1983-1993: 76-49 (60.8%), 2 losing seasons, 5 playoffs, 2 first round exits, 2 quarters exits and a semifinal loss.

Keeler, 2002-2012: 86-52 (62.3%), 3 losing seasons, 4 playoffs, a quarters exit, 2 championship game losses, 1 national title.

Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:46 pm

Cluck U wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:04 pm
UDFootballFan wrote:
Valid question.

Another question...if these kids don't have any loyalty to the school and the uniform, then why should fans have loyalty to the players?

Of course, if these kids leaving is simply coming down to them chasing a Big School dream, then those folks who were wishing UD would drop the veneer of academics and just bring in football players are now going to have to also face the fact that UD is in a position similar to a small, local hardware store facing the world of Home Depots, Lowes, and Amazons. :lol:

Which, of course, brings us back to the question of football's long term viability. With concussions and other health related problems, the eventual break off of the P5 from the NCAA as it now is, and the fact that those big schools (and whatever the G5 will be) will be taking all of our best talent, and the impact those transfers - and the subsequent transfers needed to replace our losses - will have on team chemistry each year (remember all of the arguments about transfer impact on the fra-gee-lay psyches of some of our players :lol: ), and the diminishing interest from fans, is it worth it for UD to try to field a team on any big scale? Who wants to watch free agent college football at this level?
We have no loyalty to the players. These two are chasing a pipe dream. Neither will find what they are looking for and will be left with a less than full filled collegiate career. Knight already is out of school 3 years and will be on his 3rd school.....As a coach that would not encourage me one bit!
In ROCCO I Have Great Concern!

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:02 pm

Baltimore Hen wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:46 pm
Cluck U wrote:
UDFootballFan wrote:
Valid question.

We have no loyalty to the players. These two are chasing a pipe dream. Neither will find what they are looking for and will be left with a less than full filled collegiate career. Knight already is out of school 3 years and will be on his 3rd school.....As a coach that would not encourage me one bit!
You don't know that. Like anything else, some will be happy with their choices and their paths and others won't be. Maybe this will be the step what works for Knight, maybe it won't be. Players aren't all that much different than their non-player student peers - there are tons of kids that transfer schools during the course of their college careers for a whole variety of reasons. Some are never happy and have bad experiences while some need to try out a school or two before they really find a home/school they thrive at. Who's to say that your first choice is your only/best choice? And coaches are adaptable - obviously they're seeing a whole host of new players now that have track records similar to this - it's not uncommon anymore that you would shy away from those players.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:59 pm

The farce now is that college athletes (at least for FB & Men's Basketball) now have more freedom (can change teams every year) than professional athletes under contract do. :roll: The NCAA is considering (or has passed?) a one-time transfer waiver rule that would apply post-covid. So except under extraordinary circumstances (e.g., family hardship - what ever happened to Knight transferring to UD to be close to his family after the death of his brother? :roll: ), players will be allowed only one "free" transfer without having to sit-out a year (which would be required for any subsequent transfers). This at least would limit the current wild west of "free agent bidding" whch currently exists in college athletics. In order to prevent college programs from being left with too short of a roster (especially for Basketball - see UD this year), the NCAA should also pass a rule that college athletes must declare their intent to transfer (even if graduating early) within one month of the end of their season. If they don't and seek to transfer prior to the start of their next season, they must sit out a year when trasnferring anywhere.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hendog

Post by hendog » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:16 pm

He is probably leaving because of rocco,he was the best rb last year and didnt even start i hope rocco is the next one out the door

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 pm

Baltimore Hen wrote:
Cluck U wrote:
UDFootballFan wrote:
Valid question.

Some were saying the same about Mutts and Horton but Mutts is starting for a top 20 VTech team and Horton starts for a 6-2 Pitt team.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:39 am

I started a thread in Hoops about being a Mid Major Hoops program.

You should ALL read it, it applies 100% hear.

What is a little funny, is that some want the rules to benefit the little guy(UD football, sorry guys...Fact). But......in the real world does it work that way? In most cases No, so why would the NCAA pass guidelines for the guys who bring no revenue when the P5 brings in multi millions every year.

The NCAA is run just like the real world, it mostly favors the big guys.

I love UD sports esp Hoops and I said this there and I think it's time it needs to be said here:

UD FOOTBALL DOESN'T MATTER!!! Yes, to those on this board of course it does. But to anyone else........It really doesn't.

I don't see this changing anytime soon. :( :(
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Baltimore Hen

Post by Baltimore Hen » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:53 pm

darthdave wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 pm
Baltimore Hen wrote:
Cluck U wrote:

Valid question.

Some were saying the same about Mutts and Horton but Mutts is starting for a top 20 VTech team and Horton starts for a 6-2 Pitt team.
Big difference between D1 football and D1 Basketball.....
In ROCCO I Have Great Concern!

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pm

UDPat wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:39 am

What is a little funny, is that some want the rules to benefit the little guy(UD football, sorry guys...Fact). But......in the real world does it work that way? In most cases No, so why would the NCAA pass guidelines for the guys who bring no revenue when the P5 brings in multi millions every year.

I love UD sports esp Hoops and I said this there and I think it's time it needs to be said here:

UD FOOTBALL DOESN'T MATTER!!! Yes, to those on this board of course it does. But to anyone else........It really doesn't.

UPat, I refer you to my post in reply to Gannonfan under the Will Knight thread. This isn't just about UD. This is about the survival of ALL college athletics except for the biggest college FB and Men's Basketball programs.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:32 am

BlueHenBill wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pm
UDPat wrote:

UPat, I refer you to my post in reply to Gannonfan under the Will Knight thread. This isn't just about UD. This is about the survival of ALL college athletics except for the biggest college FB and Men's Basketball programs.
I read it. I get what you are saying. Please lead that charge!! You will have about 18 folks behind you. Unless that slingshot shoots that stone perfectly, the NCAA will just shake it off, look at you, laugh hysterically at you and just devourer you like shrimp cocktail while they wait for the Filet.

Do you honestly believe the NCAA will tell the Power 5 to take a hike?? "Thank You for the Millions you provide every year, but out of the kindness of our hearts we are going to back the bring nothings to the table." Now the Power 5 may tell the NCAA to go take a hike.

There's a 1970's way to look at things and the 2021 way. It may not be right, but 2021 includes UD less and less everyday.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:32 pm

UDPat wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:32 am
BlueHenBill wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:39 pm
UDPat wrote:

I read it. I get what you are saying. Please lead that charge!! You will have about 18 folks behind you. Unless that slingshot shoots that stone perfectly, the NCAA will just shake it off, look at you, laugh hysterically at you and just devourer you like shrimp cocktail while they wait for the Filet.

Do you honestly believe the NCAA will tell the Power 5 to take a hike?? "Thank You for the Millions you provide every year, but out of the kindness of our hearts we are going to back the bring nothings to the table." Now the Power 5 may tell the NCAA to go take a hike.

There's a 1970's way to look at things and the 2021 way. It may not be right, but 2021 includes UD less and less everyday.
I hope that the Power 5 does "tell the NCAA to go take a hike". It will make it easier on the ovwerwhelming majority of NCAA members to regulate college athletics in the best interests of ALL remiaining members. The NCAA should then forbid all members to play a non-NCAA member in ANY sport to play them n ALL sports. If the Power 5 remians in the NCAA then the rest of the NCAA members should leave the NCAA for a new orgainzation.