FBS Rules Proposal - Not sure if this is new or how it will impact UD

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Re: FBS Rules Proposal - Not sure if this is new or how it will impact UD

Post by HenZoneNation »

Much like 50 years ago…it’s time to move up and commit to football.
The Dude Abides!
jcaruch
UD Class: 1991

Post by jcaruch »

Here’s one item I saw… “The council also introduced new legislation that would increase the fee to transition from FCS to FBS from $5,000 to $5 million. If adopted, the change would be effective immediately for schools initiating the transition process from that point forward. The fee would be reassessed regularly.”
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk »

No impact, UD isn’t going FBS.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

UD just raised tuition 5%. They also just settled that lawsuit for $6.3 million (paying back students for the 2020 Spring semester tuition/fees). I am sure that is just a coincidence. :lol:

The tuition paid that semester added up to $160 million. Hmmmm…6.3/160 = 3.94%. Add to that the enormous legal fees from UD’s both internal and external council and it sure looks like a convenient way to balance the books.

So, anyone think UD will pay $5 million to jump to FBS? Is there a fan-friendly BOT member that will cough up that money (for the good of the program)? 😂

Damned shame we tripped over our feet so often during the last couple decades. Always a step slow. Just when it seems more teams are moving up, we get another potential roadblock.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

jcaruch wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:44 pm Here’s one item I saw… “The council also introduced new legislation that would increase the fee to transition from FCS to FBS from $5,000 to $5 million. If adopted, the change would be effective immediately for schools initiating the transition process from that point forward. The fee would be reassessed regularly.”
This could effectively freeze FBS membership at current levels including schools in transition. Why would the NCAA want to do that?
Baltimore Hen
UD Class: 0

Post by Baltimore Hen »

dchen wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:59 pm
jcaruch wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:44 pm Here’s one item I saw… “The council also introduced new legislation that would increase the fee to transition from FCS to FBS from $5,000 to $5 million. If adopted, the change would be effective immediately for schools initiating the transition process from that point forward. The fee would be reassessed regularly.”
This could effectively freeze FBS membership at current levels including schools in transition. Why would the NCAA want to do that?
because FBS is already watered down?
hensfan40yrs

Post by hensfan40yrs »

Baltimore Hen wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:23 am
dchen wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:59 pm
because FBS is already watered down?
:shock: perhaps
Los Angeles Harballers
Steve1981
UD Class: 1981

Post by Steve1981 »

To be clear, if you decalre to go FBS before the unschedule vote happens, you are grandfathered in. Well hoped you'd go FBS as hoped that you would have been chosen over Richmond back when the A10 added them. The A10 has been turned into nothing special as the Big East is now the best conference without FBS football. The A10 has gone from 6 bids in 2014 to 1 bid this past year. With only 3 NCAA wins in the past 6 years. Still better than most conferences but the luster is gone.
The proposals will now be forwarded to Division I membership for feedback. A date for a vote has not been scheduled. If approved, the new scholarship standard would become effective Aug. 1, 2027 for existing FBS schools; schools applying to transition to FBS in 2024-25 or thereafter would have to meet the 90%/210/$6 million rule within two years of joining. The $5 million transfer fee would go into effect immediately.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

Steve1981 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:22 am To be clear, if you decalre to go FBS before the unschedule vote happens, you are grandfathered in. Well hoped you'd go FBS as hoped that you would have been chosen over Richmond back when the A10 added them. The A10 has been turned into nothing special as the Big East is now the best conference without FBS football. The A10 has gone from 6 bids in 2014 to 1 bid this past year. With only 3 NCAA wins in the past 6 years. Still better than most conferences but the luster is gone.
The proposals will now be forwarded to Division I membership for feedback. A date for a vote has not been scheduled. If approved, the new scholarship standard would become effective Aug. 1, 2027 for existing FBS schools; schools applying to transition to FBS in 2024-25 or thereafter would have to meet the 90%/210/$6 million rule within two years of joining. The $5 million transfer fee would go into effect immediately.
Wow a terrible argument, you pick the pick the 2 outlier years. Excluding those, A10 has averaged over 3 bids a year over that period, and it's a little higher if you include those outliers.

2022 2 bids
2021 2 bids
2020 no tourny
2019 3 bids
2018 3 bids
2017 3 bids
2016 3 bids
2015 3 bids
2014 6 bids
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

don't know why you care about the A10 to make sh-t up.

2023 1 bid
2022 2 bid
2021 2 bid
2020 Covid but 2 bids would have been the max
2019 2 bids Only see VCU for an at large bid in 2019 https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ch-madness
2018 3 bids Bonnies had a a play-in win game.
2017 3 bids
2016 3 bids
2015 4 bids https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA ... tournament
2014 6 bids
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

As "far flung" as the CAA has become (see Campbell, Elon, NCA&T, Maine), Ohio doesn't seem so far away anymore.

A smattering of miles and drive times to CAA and MAC opponents:

NCA&T 501 miles 8 hours
Elon 396 6+
Campbell 409 7
Akron 382 6+
Miami 551 10
Buffalo 370 6+
Ohio 560 9+
Maine 579 10
#JUST WIN
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

Steve1981 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:53 pm don't know why you care about the A10 to make sh-t up.

2023 1 bid
2022 2 bid
2021 2 bid
2020 Covid but 2 bids would have been the max
2019 2 bids Only see VCU for an at large bid in 2019 https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-me ... ch-madness
2018 3 bids Bonnies had a a play-in win game.
2017 3 bids
2016 3 bids
2015 4 bids https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA ... tournament
2014 6 bids
Made up nothing and you assume 2020, know happens when you do that. :wink: You're probably correct on 2020 but that doesn't skew the # all that much.
I looked it up and if UD would count a playin game than I counted it. It's still way better than the CAA can do and for Hoops sign me up ALL DAY!!!!!

We would all love a ACC invite but that's NEVER happening. A10 would be the best we could hope for but we blew it in 1994!!!!!
Steve1981

Post by Steve1981 »

UDPat, it's fine and come from a totally different perspective. Will delete this if people request as a visitor on your board.
Your perspective is the A10 is a move up and mine the loyalty to the A10 cost us big time. Every founding public university left the A10 is now in the P5 conference. The last two were in the mid 90's with West Virginia and Rutgers. In 1998 after a great all time high run with the NCAA and a FCS championship both CUSA and the MAC sent inquires that our AD rebuffed. If we went to CUSA, we would have been in the American today. The MAC is still possible but our administration will only move under two scenarios. One is football only and everyone laughs with that as CUSA would have only taken us in if it was a matter of the conference surviving. The other is for a higher conference. The Big East, then American, perhaps if the ACC breaks up etc.

The two issues are the MAC will always be slightly below the A10, but recently, like the A10 earns multiple NIT invites and we do travel well to MSG. The other issue is no team is on the east coast. You are on the east coast, but still feel we will not move in the immediate future. Feel Don Brown will be righting the ship but worry about post Don Brown and the HC pool to an independent team. Also, we really do not have good rivals in the A10 except Rhode Island. If basketball is down for a time at both schools it goes away and Temple left as well. In the MAC with both football and basketball think rivals can form and be stickier. Like the idea of Ohio, Buffalo, and Toledo. Then for basketball throw in some other east facing MAC teams, Kent State and Akron and the MAC looks good to this guy.

If you are ready, perhaps WKU will go with you to the MAC. It would hurt as it is where I'd like to go and they will be full up.

Do what's right for Delaware and good luck.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

That was hard to understand but fine.

We all want to go all the UP, I agree

Guess I have just become a realist, that will never happen, IMHO

Hope I'm wrong