Towson—-Ryan Daly returns

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.

Re: Towson—-Ryan Daly returns

Postby Hens79 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:59 am

Knock if off. The substitution pattern or playing time isn't "the" problem but it is a problem unless you think Daly and Allen are wimps and we shouldn't listen to the players at all? That and lousy three point defense. It is terrible. And how about not playing to the team's strength rather then this walk it up style? It is impossible to play that way and be successful with Mosley and Bryant at guard. I will repeat IMPOSSIBLE. What many, many people are saying is there are sighs of concern. That's all. And they should be obvious to everyone and not elicit these knee jerk responses. it is starting to sound like the KC haters defending Brock as the failures mounted. Hopefully, it really is just a series of bad breaks this season and all will be well next year in MI's third year. We all hope so.
Hens79

Postby UDJoe on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:03 am

Rooney -- I tend to agree with you. I played against all of the Big Five Philly schools and some Big East teams. The only team that simply wore guys out was Army under Tates Locke (with Bobby Knight as his assistant). They pressed full-court from the opening tip-off and kept substituting fresh players in waves. After a while, it was a win to simply get across the ten second line. Jack Ramsey's zone press at St. Joe's was not nearly as tiring to play against, in spite of being a very effective form of defense.

In short, if today's players are truly in good shape, playing 40 minutes (with a half-time to get re-energized) should not be a problem. If a team has great depth (i.e. Duke) and a coach wants to get playing time for 8-10 players, that is a totally different matter.
UDJoe

Postby Youdee Blues on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:15 am

Tired legs leads to poor execution in every facet. There's a very positive core group here now and new additions can only lead to a better substitution pattern in year 3. I, for one, am very hopeful for this program as it moves forward. Year 3 will tell all.
Youdee Blues

UD Class: 1996

Postby allteamball on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:39 am

Youdee Blues wrote:Tired legs leads to poor execution in every facet. There's a very positive core group here now and new additions can only lead to a better substitution pattern in year 3. I, for one, am very hopeful for this program as it moves forward. Year 3 will tell all.

It almost seems that coach is questioning the players' manhood if they can't "suck it up" and play 40 minutes without a break. Come on coach!! Coming from someone who played a little college bball and was a good shooter, I always found that playing that type of extended minutes without a break had an impact on my legs, no matter how in shape I was aerobically. I could see my shots suddenly come up "a little short" due to tired legs. Also saw the impact on my foul shooting ands leg movement defensively down the stretch. Never believed in dropping back into a zone to preserve legs - made for lazy defense.

It has nothing to do with "manhood" or not being tough enough! Almost all of my coaches told me to raise my hand during the game if I needed a short blow, and he promised to put us back in there after a couple minutes. He told us to have no shame in requesting a blow as it would help our team as a whole. Makes sense to me.
Last edited by allteamball on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
allteamball

UD Class: 1992

Postby Henway on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:42 am

So the players are "tired" physically, even with the walk it up style and people on here are saying we need to play more fast pace style to fit the "Strengths of certain players". Do people ever think through what they say. With the lack of depth we have how do you think the team would handle an up tempo fast paced game plan? You complain now about how the players have tired legs at the end of the game, what will they be like at the end of running style game? MI knows what he has and is playing the style to keep them in the game with the talent level and depth he has. I for one have faith in MI and believe with the right recruits and additions he will turn the program around.
Henway

Postby darthdave on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:05 pm

At this point, getting a 1st rd win in Charleston would be a good goal.

Next year get Anderson back plus Goss and Horton. Lose Mosley and Johnson. A grad transfer is a must. I was hoping Amir Harris, 2018 6'5 pg from Maryland was still an option but Oklahoma St just offered so I think that ship sailed.

What is the identity of this team? Defense is not good nor is shooting. Charleston plays very good D...WM, great offense. If you can't shoot, you better play good D. If you cant defend, you better have the horses on O WM has 5 players with 20+ mins shooting 43% or higher from 3. Ryan Allen, our best shooter, is at 39%. Daly is at 29%, Bryant 28%, Cushing 23%.

This poor shooting and lack of assist is the most surprising thing for me since MI took over. MI avg 4.3 assist as a player. Mosley leads the team at 2.9. Even Anderson, who was our point, was under 3 assist a game. I was expecting MI to go out and grab a pass first pg.
darthdave

UD Class: 1993

Postby BlueHenBill on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:40 pm

LILax wrote:I love MI as head coach. But this is the softest group of players I have ever seen. Boys vs. Men tonight in Towson.

Not sure why Ingelsby kept Bryant on the court in the second half. There has to be someone on the bench who won't throw the ball away, charge or miss shot after shot on every possession that he touched the ball.

+1
BlueHenBill

Postby BlueHenBill on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Pedromon wrote:They just showed a replay of the final shot from a side angle and Allen was fouled shooting the long three. It would have Benin nice to drain three from the line to pull this one out.

Pedromon, Who fouled, the defender in front or the defender who came in from the side/rear? Looking at the stats it appears that this game was decided by the officials with Towson getting the benefit of home cooking, especially in the 2nd half. UD was called for 17 fouls and Towson for 12, so that differential was no big deal. Looking at FTs however, UD was 4-6 1st half, 1-4 2nd half, and 5-10 for the game. Towson was 3-4 1st half, 9-17 2nd half, and 12-21 for the game. Towson got to shoot 11 more FTs for the game and 17 FTs to UD's 4 FTs in the second half! Come on man!
BlueHenBill

Postby allteamball on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:06 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Pedromon wrote:They just showed a replay of the final shot from a side angle and Allen was fouled shooting the long three. It would have Benin nice to drain three from the line to pull this one out.

Pedromon, Who fouled, the defender in front or the defender who came in from the side/rear? Looking at the stats it appears that this game was decided by the officials with Towson getting the benefit of home cooking, especially in the 2nd half. UD was called for 17 fouls and Towson for 12, so that differential was no big deal. Looking at FTs however, UD was 4-6 1st half, 1-4 2nd half, and 5-10 for the game. Towson was 3-4 1st half, 9-17 2nd half, and 12-21 for the game. Towson got to shoot 11 more FTs for the game and 17 FTs to UD's 4 FTs in the second half! Come on man!

I have to agree with Pedromon and I understand why coach was so upset. The defender's arms were not vertical and moved down on Allen when he shot. Clearly, the offical "swallowed his whiste" on this play. The advantages of the home court!!
allteamball

UD Class: 1992

Postby dovetail on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 pm

All this assumes that he could have converted three straight FT's. Last nite (team 5 for 10) not too encouraging.
"IRWT", In Rocco We Trust
dovetail

UD Class: 1966

Postby rooneyguy on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 pm

dovetail wrote:All this assumes that he could have converted three straight FT's. Last nite (team 5 for 10) not too encouraging.

Allen shoots 76% from the foul line. Good chance he makes at least 2 out of three.
rooneyguy

UD Class: 1988

Postby UDForever on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Henway wrote:So the players are "tired" physically, even with the walk it up style and people on here are saying we need to play more fast pace style to fit the "Strengths of certain players". Do people ever think through what they say. With the lack of depth we have how do you think the team would handle an up tempo fast paced game plan? You complain now about how the players have tired legs at the end of the game, what will they be like at the end of running style game? MI knows what he has and is playing the style to keep them in the game with the talent level and depth he has. I for one have faith in MI and believe with the right recruits and additions he will turn the program around.

+1.
UDForever

Postby Hens79 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 pm

UDForever wrote:
Henway wrote:So the players are "tired" physically, even with the walk it up style and people on here are saying we need to play more fast pace style to fit the "Strengths of certain players". Do people ever think through what they say. With the lack of depth we have how do you think the team would handle an up tempo fast paced game plan? You complain now about how the players have tired legs at the end of the game, what will they be like at the end of running style game? MI knows what he has and is playing the style to keep them in the game with the talent level and depth he has. I for one have faith in MI and believe with the right recruits and additions he will turn the program around.

+1.

Last comments on the topic. This mismatch has been going on for two years. The team had only 7 players for 5 games. 8 players is plenty to play any style of ball you want and no one has suggested "up tempo fast paced". That isn't the opposite of walk it up almost every time. Just looking for a little pace at times to show some flexibility from MI. But it really doesn't matter as this season has been over for several weeks and now looking down the barrel of a 9 game losing streak. Looking for much needed and much better results next year.
Hens79

Postby UDForever on Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:53 pm

Win tonight and it wouldn’t shock me if we go on a 3 game win streak to end the season.
UDForever

Postby Cluck U on Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:02 pm

Tired legs show up on defense...especially on the perimeter.
2018...let's fix this thing!
Cluck U

Previous

Return to Hen Hoops