Aleksandar Novakovich

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby jd of de on Thu May 17, 2018 5:39 am

rooneyguy wrote:
allteamball wrote:Urgency set by Daly departure really lit a fire! Great job coach! Really looking forward to next season now.


I doubt your premise -- this staff has been very active in recruitment activities all along and wisely, IMHO, did not jump whole-hog into the fall recruitment cycle as some wanted them to do. Daly's departure certainly changed the picture, but not the process. Would you trade the 5 new recruits for the 3 departures? I would do so in a heartbeat because this is all about building a program that has a roster with a depth of quality players. And we get closer to that with each new recruiting success.


Based on what I've seen and the discussions I have had, rooney is 100% correct.
User avatar
jd of de
 
Posts: 4155
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 am
UD Class: 0

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby UDJoe on Thu May 17, 2018 9:02 am

[quote="jd of de"][quote="rooneyguy"][quote="allteamball"]Urgency set by Daly departure really lit a fire! Great job coach! Really looking forward to next season now.[/quote]

I doubt your premise -- this staff has been very active in recruitment activities all along and wisely, IMHO, did not jump whole-hog into the fall recruitment cycle as some wanted them to do. Daly's departure certainly changed the picture, but not the process. Would you trade the 5 new recruits for the 3 departures? I would do so in a heartbeat because this is all about building a program that has a roster with a depth of quality players. And we get closer to that with each new recruiting success.[/quote]

Based on what I've seen and the discussions I have had, rooney is 100% correct.[/quote]

Agree. And I am looking forward to watching a more talented UD squad, even though they will be young. A graduate transfer would help with that. And late in the season maybe this team becomes a real threat in the CAA.
UDJoe
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:04 am

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby BlueHenBill on Thu May 17, 2018 1:49 pm

rooneyguy wrote:
allteamball wrote:Urgency set by Daly departure really lit a fire! Great job coach! Really looking forward to next season now.


I doubt your premise -- this staff has been very active in recruitment activities all along and wisely, IMHO, did not jump whole-hog into the fall recruitment cycle as some wanted them to do. Daly's departure certainly changed the picture, but not the process. Would you trade the 5 new recruits for the 3 departures? I would do so in a heartbeat because this is all about building a program that has a roster with a depth of quality players. And we get closer to that with each new recruiting success.


rooneyguy, Wisdom had nothing to do with UD not jumping "whole-hog into the fall recruitment cycle". If UD had received 2-4 additional commitments in the fall from those they offered at that time and did not "lose them" to other programs (especially CAA rivals), UD would have jumped "whole-hog into the fall recruitment cycle" and would have had few or any schollies to offer this spring. UD's lack of commitments in the fall may have been one factor in Daly transferring.
BlueHenBill
 
Posts: 6066
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby UDForever on Thu May 17, 2018 1:54 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
rooneyguy wrote:
allteamball wrote:Urgency set by Daly departure really lit a fire! Great job coach! Really looking forward to next season now.


I doubt your premise -- this staff has been very active in recruitment activities all along and wisely, IMHO, did not jump whole-hog into the fall recruitment cycle as some wanted them to do. Daly's departure certainly changed the picture, but not the process. Would you trade the 5 new recruits for the 3 departures? I would do so in a heartbeat because this is all about building a program that has a roster with a depth of quality players. And we get closer to that with each new recruiting success.


UD's lack of commitments in the fall may have been one factor in Daly transferring.


Wrong
UDForever
 
Posts: 3857
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby BlueHenBill on Thu May 17, 2018 1:59 pm

UDForever wrote:
BlueHenBill wrote:
UD's lack of commitments in the fall may have been one factor in Daly transferring.


Wrong


Thanks for clearly eliminating that possibility Ryan. :roll:
BlueHenBill
 
Posts: 6066
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby UDForever on Thu May 17, 2018 2:00 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
UDForever wrote:
BlueHenBill wrote:
UD's lack of commitments in the fall may have been one factor in Daly transferring.


Wrong


Thanks for clearly eliminating that possibility Ryan. :roll:


No problem, Bill.
UDForever
 
Posts: 3857
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby rooneyguy on Thu May 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Ok, BHB -- I'll bite. Since an underlying assumption of yours appears to be that UD's staff was somehow not energized enough during the fall recruitment period, please explain to us which recruits they missed out on that are better than the recruits UD has recently landed. You will have to allow for the fact that some potential recruits deliberately choose not to commit during the early period and which of UD's current crop may have done that (including the transfers). You will also have to factor in the possibility of a "late bloomer" or two (e.g. a Ryan Daly type). To support your position, please indicate how each recruit that UD "lost" to other schools is better that what we ended up with, project their playing time, on-court production, predicted academic success, etc. and explain in what areas UD's recruitment efforts were so below par (i.e. was it Newark? The winter weather? Basketball facilities? Lack of a historically winning tradition?) -- you know, the kind of things the current coaching staff can control. I am willing to be convinced.
rooneyguy
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 am
UD Class: 1988

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby BlueHenBill on Thu May 17, 2018 6:20 pm

rooneyguy wrote:Ok, BHB -- I'll bite. Since an underlying assumption of yours appears to be that UD's staff was somehow not energized enough during the fall recruitment period, please explain to us which recruits they missed out on that are better than the recruits UD has recently landed. You will have to allow for the fact that some potential recruits deliberately choose not to commit during the early period and which of UD's current crop may have done that (including the transfers). You will also have to factor in the possibility of a "late bloomer" or two (e.g. a Ryan Daly type). To support your position, please indicate how each recruit that UD "lost" to other schools is better that what we ended up with, project their playing time, on-court production, predicted academic success, etc. and explain in what areas UD's recruitment efforts were so below par (i.e. was it Newark? The winter weather? Basketball facilities? Lack of a historically winning tradition?) -- you know, the kind of things the current coaching staff can control. I am willing to be convinced.


rooneyguy, Where did I post or even imply that "UD's staff was somehow not energized enough during the fall recruitment period"? What I posted is the truth that UD offered a bunch of prospects in the fall of 2017 and that only one (Horton) committed with many of the rest landing at other CAA programs. I don't know why none of those other players that UD offered in fall 2017 didn't sign with UD. Your earlier post(s) indicated that the UD Men's Basketball staff didn't aggressively recruit in fall 2017 because they apparently believed that there would be better prospects available to UD in the spring of 2018. I was pointing out that if more of the players that UD offered in fall 2017 had signed with UD, UD would have had few to no schollies available in spring 2018. Apparently unlike you, I don't believe it was an actual coaching stratagem to focus less on the fall 2017 recruiting and more on the spring 2018 recruiting. It became a matter of necessity when UD got only one commitment in fall 2017, Woods was dismissed, and Daly left the program right after the 2017-2018 season. The recruiting this year was in contrast to the previous year when UD got three commitments in fall 2016 and none in spring 2017. Coaches offer the players at the top of their recruiting boards first and then work down from there. Therefore, with the possible exceptions of players that UD didn't know in the fall would be available and have interest in UD (Darling, Mutts, and/or Novakovich), the presumption would be that players offered in the fall were more highly regarded than players offered in the spring. However, only time can possibly tell which players might have been better - the prospects that UD offered but did not land in fall 2017 or those secured in spring 2018. I am just glad that the UD coaches landed enough promising players in spring 2018 (with hopefully one more, an immediately eligible transfer, to be added) and turned a possible disaster into a potential strength.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Thu May 17, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueHenBill
 
Posts: 6066
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby jd of de on Thu May 17, 2018 7:01 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
If UD had received 2-4 additional commitments in the fall from those they offered at that time and did not "lose them" to other programs (especially CAA rivals), UD would have jumped "whole-hog into the fall recruitment cycle" and would have had few or any schollies to offer this spring. UD's lack of commitments in the fall may have been one factor in Daly transferring.


Only signing Horton in the fall had ZERO to do with Daly's transfer ... repeat ZERO
User avatar
jd of de
 
Posts: 4155
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 am
UD Class: 0

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby BlueHenBill on Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 pm

jd of de wrote:
BlueHenBill wrote:
If UD had received 2-4 additional commitments in the fall from those they offered at that time and did not "lose them" to other programs (especially CAA rivals), UD would have jumped "whole-hog into the fall recruitment cycle" and would have had few or any schollies to offer this spring. UD's lack of commitments in the fall may have been one factor in Daly transferring.


Only signing Horton in the fall had ZERO to do with Daly's transfer ... repeat ZERO


Didn't know that you were inside Daly's head. :wink: We all know what Daly said publicly, but only he truly knows what his reason(s) were. if you have more insight than Daly's public statements, please share.
BlueHenBill
 
Posts: 6066
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby UDForever on Thu May 17, 2018 7:30 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
rooneyguy wrote:Ok, BHB -- I'll bite. Since an underlying assumption of yours appears to be that UD's staff was somehow not energized enough during the fall recruitment period, please explain to us which recruits they missed out on that are better than the recruits UD has recently landed. You will have to allow for the fact that some potential recruits deliberately choose not to commit during the early period and which of UD's current crop may have done that (including the transfers). You will also have to factor in the possibility of a "late bloomer" or two (e.g. a Ryan Daly type). To support your position, please indicate how each recruit that UD "lost" to other schools is better that what we ended up with, project their playing time, on-court production, predicted academic success, etc. and explain in what areas UD's recruitment efforts were so below par (i.e. was it Newark? The winter weather? Basketball facilities? Lack of a historically winning tradition?) -- you know, the kind of things the current coaching staff can control. I am willing to be convinced.


rooneyguy, Where did I post or even imply that "UD's staff was somehow not energized enough during the fall recruitment period"? What I posted is the truth that UD offered a bunch of prospects in the fall of 2017 and that only one (Horton) committed with many of the rest landing at other CAA programs. I don't know why none of those other players that UD offered in fall 2017 didn't sign with UD. Your earlier post(s) indicated that the UD Men's Basketball staff didn't aggressively recruit in fall 2017 because they apparently believed that there would be better prospects available to UD in the spring of 2018. I was pointing out that if more of the players that UD offered in fall 2017 had signed with UD, UD would have had few to no schollies available in spring 2018. Apparently unlike you, I don't believe it was an actual coaching stratagem to focus less on the fall 2017 recruiting and more on the spring 2018 recruiting. It became a matter of necessity when UD got only one commitment in fall 2017, Woods was dismissed, and Daly left the program right after the 2017-2018 season. The recruiting this year was in contrast to the previous year when UD got three commitments in fall 2016 and none in spring 2017. Coaches offer the players at the top of their recruiting boards first and then work down from there. Therefore, with the possible exceptions of players that UD didn't know in the fall would be available and have interest in UD (Darling, Mutts, and/or Novakovich), the presumption would be that players offered in the fall were more highly regarded than players offered in the spring. However, only time can possibly tell which players might have been better - the prospects that UD offered but did not land in fall 2017 or those secured in spring 2018. I am just glad that the UD coaches landed enough promising players in spring 2018 (with hopefully one more, an immediately eligible transfer, to be added) and turned a possible disaster into a potential strength.


Come on, Bill. He said to list the recruits. Please do so. Just like we aren’t in Daly’s head, you aren’t in the UDMB coaches offices.
UDForever
 
Posts: 3857
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby jd of de on Thu May 17, 2018 7:35 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
jd of de wrote:
BlueHenBill wrote:
If UD had received 2-4 additional commitments in the fall from those they offered at that time and did not "lose them" to other programs (especially CAA rivals), UD would have jumped "whole-hog into the fall recruitment cycle" and would have had few or any schollies to offer this spring. UD's lack of commitments in the fall may have been one factor in Daly transferring.


Only signing Horton in the fall had ZERO to do with Daly's transfer ... repeat ZERO


Didn't know that you were inside Daly's head. :wink: We all know what Daly said publicly, but only he truly knows what his reason(s) were. if you have more insight than Daly's public statements, please share.


Not gonna Bill ... build some relationships and then you will know but a word of warning; post all you know those relationships will go bye-bye. Sorry to tell you, as much as you hope it is so, the staff or university is not at fault for Daly transferring.
User avatar
jd of de
 
Posts: 4155
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 am
UD Class: 0

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby BlueHenBill on Thu May 17, 2018 7:47 pm

jd of de wrote:
jd of de wrote:
BlueHenBill wrote:
Only signing Horton in the fall had ZERO to do with Daly's transfer ... repeat ZERO


Didn't know that you were inside Daly's head. :wink: We all know what Daly said publicly, but only he truly knows what his reason(s) were. if you have more insight than Daly's public statements, please share.


Not gonna Bill ... build some relationships and then you will know but a word of warning; post all you know those relationships will go bye-bye. Sorry to tell you, as much as you hope it is so, the staff or university is not at fault for Daly transferring.


Understood, but I assume that any insider info you have is coming from UD. Even if you had info from the Daly camp, no one but Ryan (and maybe his closest family members, friends, & advisors) truly knows what his reasons were. The reasons may have been completely as publicly stated or other reasons may not have been publicly disclosed. You are wrong, however, about me hoping that the staff or UD is "at fault" for Daly transferring. Even if there were other reasons, that does not necessarily mean they were the "fault" of the staff or UD. I hope that Daly transferred simply because he saw an opportunity to play at a higher level where his family has at least two generations of connections but I am open to the possibility that other considerations MAY ALSO have played a role. In all likelihood, we will never definitively know.
BlueHenBill
 
Posts: 6066
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby BlueHenBill on Thu May 17, 2018 8:03 pm

UDForever wrote:
Come on, Bill. He said to list the recruits. Please do so. Just like we aren’t in Daly’s head, you aren’t in the UDMB coaches offices.


UDForever, I can't figure out a way to reasonably identify the players that UD offered last fall. The posts from the end of the 2016-2017 Basketball season until Horton signed his NLI that identified who UD offered (and where they signed) have been deleted from this site. Once a player that a program has offered commits elsewhere, Verbal Commits deletes that player from the unsuccessful suitors' recruiting pages. The info on all of the programs that offered a prospect in a given year is maintained on each player's recruiting page at Verbal Commits, but you would have to review hundreds if not thousands of players recruiting pages to find the handful who were offered this past year by UD. Perhaps darthdave, UDPat, or other UD basketball junkies/insiders have the info as to which players UD offered since the end of the 2016-2017 Basketball season and could post it.
BlueHenBill
 
Posts: 6066
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: Aleksandar Novakovich

Postby UDPat on Fri May 18, 2018 6:51 am

BlueHenBill wrote:
UDForever wrote:
Come on, Bill. He said to list the recruits. Please do so. Just like we aren’t in Daly’s head, you aren’t in the UDMB coaches offices.


UDForever, I can't figure out a way to reasonably identify the players that UD offered last fall. The posts from the end of the 2016-2017 Basketball season until Horton signed his NLI that identified who UD offered (and where they signed) have been deleted from this site. Once a player that a program has offered commits elsewhere, Verbal Commits deletes that player from the unsuccessful suitors' recruiting pages. The info on all of the programs that offered a prospect in a given year is maintained on each player's recruiting page at Verbal Commits, but you would have to review hundreds if not thousands of players recruiting pages to find the handful who were offered this past year by UD. Perhaps darthdave, UDPat, or other UD basketball junkies/insiders have the info as to which players UD offered since the end of the 2016-2017 Basketball season and could post it.



Nope!!! Not doing your research again.
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Hen Hoops

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests