UNCW Thread

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.

Re: UNCW Thread

Postby allteamball on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:27 pm

I continue to be impressed with Ryan Johnson. He is tough, hard nosed, and does whatever he has to do to win. The kid is a winner and a coach's dream. His value to the team does not necessarily show up on the box score. His 3 steals tonight were just what this team needed at key times in the game. His defense, rebounding and veteran leadership give this young team what it badly needs. Good to see him rewarded with the start tonight. I like him in that starting spot to provide balance in this lineup.
allteamball

UD Class: 1992

Postby jd of de on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:41 pm

finpxz1 wrote:
Hen90 wrote:Good grief. 20 point lead now down to 6. I should have known better than to have posted that

Just no words to describe how mentally weak this team is.

If mental toughness is hard for you to describe I suggest staying away from mirrors until the season is over.
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby NCSTATEHENS09 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:41 am

Info Hound wrote:Of course a win is a win. We'll take it, but the late game swoon is wearing on all of is. As are the missed free throws.

Positives are we are 7-6, and solidified our position in 4th place, and away from the bottom four, "no man's land". Ryan Johnson was a strong, steadying presence. Glad to see him perform well with the start. Kevin Anderson is gaining confidence with his shot. Carter is a more solid, smarter, all around player than the over-rated Cacok.

Two winnable road games up next, but road wins are always tough in this league.

Go Hens!

Always thought Cacok was over rated as well. NC State fans really wanted him to transfer over when Keatts came in to coach. Even when was leading the league in field goal percentage I wasnt sold. Guess I was the voice of reason after all
GO HENS!!
GO WOLFPACK!!
GO FALCONS!!
GO FLYERS!!
GO PHILLIES!!
NCSTATEHENS09

UD Class: 1900

Postby Hens79 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:15 am

Info Hound wrote:Of course a win is a win. We'll take it, but the late game swoon is wearing on all of is. As are the missed free throws.

Positives are we are 7-6, and solidified our position in 4th place, and away from the bottom four, "no man's land". Ryan Johnson was a strong, steadying presence. Glad to see him perform well with the start. Kevin Anderson is gaining confidence with his shot. Carter is a more solid, smarter, all around player than the over-rated Cacok.

Go Hens!

Agree with all Info except for maybe Cacok. He is surrounded by absolutely nothing including the coaching staff. UNCW is one lousy team right now, that may challenge JMU for the cellar. Getting the win is the main point. Not sure how the road trip will go, but have to beat stiffs like UNCW at home and the Hens did.
Hens79

Postby Hens79 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:40 am

jd of de wrote:
finpxz1 wrote:
Hen90 wrote:Good grief. 20 point lead now down to 6. I should have known better than to have posted that

Just no words to describe how mentally weak this team is.

If mental toughness is hard for you to describe I suggest staying away from mirrors until the season is over.

Good grief jd. Let some negative comments go without comment. For sure the win is the most important thing. But the Hens were outscored 11-0 over a three minute stretch in the last 4 minutes with a 15 point lead. Pointing that out, (after it has happened many times this season) like the radio crew did shouldn’t be cause for a defensive, personal dumb azz response. We all want the Hens to win but the mindless defense of everything, including obvious shortcomings is just plain silly. And that is being kind. Now on to the three game road trip and solidifying 4th place.
Hens79

Postby joe c on Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:49 am

UD was minus 4 79..How would you like to blow that bet?.... OUCH.....
joe c

Postby UDPat on Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Hens79 wrote:

Go Hens!

Agree with all Info except for maybe Cacok. He is surrounded by absolutely nothing including the coaching staff. UNCW is one lousy team right now, that may challenge JMU for the cellar. Getting the win is the main point. Not sure how the road trip will go, but have to beat stiffs like UNCW at home and the Hens did.

This is scary!!! 8) 8)

I would do almost anything to a have Devontae Cacok on my team!!!! He may not be ACC material but there's not many mid major's where He's not the Man!! When it's all said and done....1500 pts, 1200 rbs, All CAA defensive team and at least 1 DPOY. And as pointed out, He hasn't had a lot surrounding him.

This guy is going to make a lot of money playing hoops next year!! Granted, it will be over seas but I think He will be very good player with a long career.

Now,

Big Big Big Game Thursday night @ Towson. 3 Big winnable road games up next for the Hens but must take them 1 at a time.

Have they learned from the Meltdown last time out vs the Tigers. Are they good enough? No doubt but Men win Thursday night. It's that simple.

Really glad to see Ryan Johnson back in the starting line up. He played his way out and now He has played his way back in. He brings toughness we need. Plus I see a little bit of a wall hit by Horton lately. Not playing bad but perhaps going thru a little mental struggle. Also He and Matty V do provide a offensive spark off the bench. A little more balance.

There have been ups and downs this season, but we are 2/3 of the way thru the conference schedule and we are in the hunt for a very solid finish.

The 3 best teams in the league are Hofstra, NE and CofC IMHO. They are very good veteran ball clubs. I want 4th place. Don't care what that means as far as match ups. I want to be that next team. It sends a message this season and maybe even next.

5 BIG Games Left!!!!!
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby Info Hound on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:17 pm

UDPat wrote:

Go Hens!

This is scary!!! 8) 8)

I would do almost anything to a have Devontae Cacok on my team!!!! He may not be ACC material but there's not many mid major's where He's not the Man!! When it's all said and done....1500 pts, 1200 rbs, All CAA defensive team and at least 1 DPOY. And as pointed out, He hasn't had a lot surrounding him.

This guy is going to make a lot of money playing hoops next year!! Granted, it will be over seas but I think He will be very good player with a long career.

Pat, Full Disclosure: I have an extreme bias for all things UD, and Eric Carter in particular! :D
#BlueHensRising 2018-2019 will be a year of measurable success: Football (playoffs), M&W basketball, MSoccer (conf. tourney), MLacrosse, and more!
Info Hound

UD Class: 1900

Postby UDPat on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:29 am

Info Hound wrote:
UDPat wrote:

Go Hens!

This is scary!!! 8) 8)

Pat, Full Disclosure: I have an extreme bias for all things UD, and Eric Carter in particular! :D

Never said I'd take him over Eric, but I'd make it work if I had both!!!! :D :D
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby finpxz1 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:49 pm

Agree on just about all counts, Pat. I also like the move of having Ryan Johnson starting. He brings some additional veteran leadership that I think this team can really benefit from. And I’ve been really impressed with his shooting as of late. I also think that Horton has hit a bit of a wall at this point in the season. Probably the biggest adjustment from high school to college is the physicality of the game at this level. I do think bringing him and Veretto off the bench is the right move and adds a bit of a spark. I don’t get the Cacok bashing by some. That kid has an NBA-type body that you don’t often see at the mid-major level. Not saying he’s an NBA talent, but I’d love to have him on my team. He’s a force down low. Can’t deny that Carter is a better all-around player, but I do wish Eric would be more aggressive at times.

No doubt Hofstra, Northeastern, and Charleston have separated themselves from the rest of the pack. If someone outside that top 3 wins the tournament, I would be shocked. May even give Charleston the best chance given they are a veteran group and defending CAA champs, as well as the tournament being held on their home court (I wish the CAA would move the tournament back to a more central and neutral location).

These last 5 games could be really tough for the Hens. I could easily see them going 1 and 4 (possibly 2 and 3, at best). Would be nice to avoid the play-in game. Still thinking next year could be when we finally see UD back in the conversation as a legitimate contender with the transfers we have joining the program. Fingers crossed that we get hot at the right time this year and can put some legitimate pressure the “big 3”. Don’t see it happening, but who knows…
finpxz1

Postby hoopster on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:59 pm

finpxz1 wrote:Agree on just about all counts, Pat. I also like the move of having Ryan Johnson starting. He brings some additional veteran leadership that I think this team can really benefit from. And I’ve been really impressed with his shooting as of late. I also think that Horton has hit a bit of a wall at this point in the season. Probably the biggest adjustment from high school to college is the physicality of the game at this level. I do think bringing him and Veretto off the bench is the right move and adds a bit of a spark. I don’t get the Cacok bashing by some. That kid has an NBA-type body that you don’t often see at the mid-major level. Not saying he’s an NBA talent, but I’d love to have him on my team. He’s a force down low. Can’t deny that Carter is a better all-around player, but I do wish Eric would be more aggressive at times.

No doubt Hofstra, Northeastern, and Charleston have separated themselves from the rest of the pack. If someone outside that top 3 wins the tournament, I would be shocked. May even give Charleston the best chance given they are a veteran group and defending CAA champs, as well as the tournament being held on their home court (I wish the CAA would move the tournament back to a more central and neutral location).

These last 5 games could be really tough for the Hens. I could easily see them going 1 and 4 (possibly 2 and 3, at best). Would be nice to avoid the play-in game. Still thinking next year could be when we finally see UD back in the conversation as a legitimate contender with the transfers we have joining the program. Fingers crossed that we get hot at the right time this year and can put some legitimate pressure the “big 3”. Don’t see it happening, but who knows…

CAA tournament is moving to a central location. It will be in D.C. next year. Also, this year's tournament is not on Charleston's home court. It's being played in their home town, but not their home court.
GO BIG BLUE!
hoopster

UD Class: 1993

Postby finpxz1 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:09 pm

hoopster wrote:
finpxz1 wrote:Agree on just about all counts, Pat. I also like the move of having Ryan Johnson starting. He brings some additional veteran leadership that I think this team can really benefit from. And I’ve been really impressed with his shooting as of late. I also think that Horton has hit a bit of a wall at this point in the season. Probably the biggest adjustment from high school to college is the physicality of the game at this level. I do think bringing him and Veretto off the bench is the right move and adds a bit of a spark. I don’t get the Cacok bashing by some. That kid has an NBA-type body that you don’t often see at the mid-major level. Not saying he’s an NBA talent, but I’d love to have him on my team. He’s a force down low. Can’t deny that Carter is a better all-around player, but I do wish Eric would be more aggressive at times.

CAA tournament is moving to a central location. It will be in D.C. next year. Also, this year's tournament is not on Charleston's home court. It's being played in their home town, but not their home court.

DC makes a lot of sense. Good to hear. Such an advantage for CofC having it in their home city. And so far away from just about every other school. DC is a much better option.
finpxz1

Postby jd of de on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:46 pm

hoopster wrote:

Moving from seating for 11,500 to 2,500 (the same capacity as the high school gym at Drexel). Seeking a more central location makes sense; the DC arena choice does not unless the plan is to jack-up ticket prices and tell regular fans they can watch it in TV.

I get that Charleston is at the extreme end of the conference. However anyone that has been there will tell you, once the 10 hour drive is done it's a great place to host a tournament. Affordable hotels and restaurants / pubs that are all walk-able to the arena; everything DC is not.
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby darthdave on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 pm

jd of de wrote:
hoopster wrote:

Moving from seating for 11,500 to 2,500 (the same capacity as the high school gym at Drexel). Seeking a more central location makes sense; the DC arena choice does not unless the plan is to jack-up ticket prices and tell regular fans they can watch it in TV.

I get that Charleston is at the extreme end of the conference. However anyone that has been there will tell you, once the 10 hour drive is done it's a great place to host a tournament. Affordable hotels and restaurants / pubs that are all walk-able to the arena; everything DC is not.

I was against this move when it was first annouced but its not too far from national harbor which is a fun location. The arena seemed suspect from initial drawings with seating on 3 sides of the court but after watching this video, its seems to have seating on all 4 sides, albeit small on one side.
http://esaontherise.com/capital-city-go ... r-11-3-18/

I think the seating capacity is 4200, not 2500
darthdave

UD Class: 1993

Previous

Return to Hen Hoops