Men’s Schedule

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Re: Men’s Schedule

Post by darthdave » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:53 pm

UDPat wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:42 pm
darthdave wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:20 pm
chapelstwasted wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:38 pm
An exhibition game with Pedo State to help Louisiana Tech??? The State of Louisiana & LSU out of $$$$$? Where's the money really going?
I don’t think UD and Penn St really care where the money is going...having an opportunity to play another D1 team preseason is the benefit. Stevens 6’8 230 1st team Big Ten and Watkins 6’9 250, big 10 defensive team, will be a helluva challenge for our frontcourt. Would be great if Painter could play.
I'd prefer UD have absolutely nothing to do with that school and play someone else. But it is what it is. I can tell you this: The game could be played in my backyard and I would not attend. F that school!!!!!!!
Pat...I understand your position as what occurred was criminal; however, the current players, coaches and students at PSU had nothing to do with it nor should be penalized for it, imo. If the date works out, I plan to attend to see the hens against a Big10 school

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:20 am

Dave,

I respect your opinion. I ask the same.

Enjoy the game. Again this will be one I must sit out.

And for the record: I would take the same stance if this was a regular season game at the BOB. I would not attend.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

hoopster

Post by hoopster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:50 am

I would love to see Penn State visit the Bob for a regular season game. I believe that would be their first visit to Newark in recent memory. As you said Dave, I will not hold a grudge against what happened before any of these kids joined the team. It was horrible what happened and I still can't believe it took place. At that same time, my family has hosted students from Germany and Japan even though those countries took part in events that will never be erased from anyone's mind. I won't and didn't blame them for those events either.
GO BIG BLUE!

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:36 am

hoopster wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:50 am
I would love to see Penn State visit the Bob for a regular season game. I believe that would be their first visit to Newark in recent memory. As you said Dave, I will not hold a grudge against what happened before any of these kids joined the team. It was horrible what happened and I still can't believe it took place. At that same time, my family has hosted students from Germany and Japan even though those countries took part in events that will never be erased from anyone's mind. I won't and didn't blame them for those events either.
I agree with both you and Dave concerning current students, athletes at that school.

My issue is the penalties were NOT NEARLY SEVERE ENOUGH at the time of the incident that as we found out lasted for years.
SMU got a 2 year death penalty for cheating. They were bad at it I grant you.
That to me would have meant a 5 year death penalty of their football program, IMHO. I don't watch that team EVER anymore on TV and I root for them to lose 100-0 every single week they play. Plus I have read Bill O'Brien's scathing article concerning their fan base and it truely shows those dopes just don't get it.

Please go and support the Hens. There will be 6-7 road games I could possibly attend this season, this won't be one. When it comes to supporting the Hens on the road, if you have 5 fingers you have a couple of leftover if you count the Hen fans that travel better than me for roads games. And it's been that way for years!!!!!

hoopster

Post by hoopster » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:08 pm

UDPat wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:36 am
hoopster wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:50 am
I agree with both you and Dave concerning current students, athletes at that school.

My issue is the penalties were NOT NEARLY SEVERE ENOUGH at the time of the incident that as we found out lasted for years.
SMU got a 2 year death penalty for cheating. They were bad at it I grant you.
That to me would have meant a 5 year death penalty of their football program, IMHO. I don't watch that team EVER anymore on TV and I root for them to lose 100-0 every single week they play. Plus I have read Bill O'Brien's scathing article concerning their fan base and it truely shows those dopes just don't get it.

Please go and support the Hens. There will be 6-7 road games I could possibly attend this season, this won't be one. When it comes to supporting the Hens on the road, if you have 5 fingers you have a couple of leftover if you count the Hen fans that travel better than me for roads games. And it's been that way for years!!!!!
I hear you Pat and respect your opinion. Just wanted to share mine. We all know your loyalty to the hoops program and thank you for it! As a former athlete for the Hens, I understand the hard work and commitment that goes into representing your university. I just wouldn't want someone not to support me because of what took place years before I arrived and had no control over.
GO BIG BLUE!

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:32 pm

Fair enough!!!

I am not trying one bit to bring anyone over to my way of thinking.

Enjoy the game and I will be rooting for my Hens....in spirit for that one game.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 pm

Could care less about this glorified scrimmage. If it was a regular season non-conference game then great, but who cares about a scrimmage? As I've said many times before, our non-conference schedule is crap, and this does nothing to improve that. We should be playing 3 or 4 non-conference games every year against BCS teams, and PSU would fit into that mold nicely. The fact that UD is even marketing this game makes you realize even the administration is disappointed with our non-conference schedule.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:13 pm

finpxz1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Could care less about this glorified scrimmage. If it was a regular season non-conference game then great, but who cares about a scrimmage? As I've said many times before, our non-conference schedule is crap, and this does nothing to improve that. We should be playing 3 or 4 non-conference games every year against BCS teams, and PSU would fit into that mold nicely. The fact that UD is even marketing this game makes you realize even the administration is disappointed with our non-conference schedule.
Uhh they marketed the game the same as when they played Loyola a few years ago in a similar pre seasongakr for charity.

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:51 pm

finpxz1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 pm
If Delaware wants to win the CAA, a lower rung big ten team is one we should compete with so in that sense the game imo means a lot. Unless they treat it like a closed scrimmage where it’s not an actual game, I think it’s a great opportunity for fans to see what they can expect. Regardless if it’s a real game or exhibition, it is still Delawre vs a big ten team.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:53 am

Scheduling

You schedule OCC based on who you currently are and what reasonable expectations are for that team. Playing Villanova prior to this season would not have made us better; this season it can make us better.

The program is further along in its development this season so you schedule Villanova and 5 solid mid-majors;challenging your group to be competitive. Doing that before you are ready just teaches your team how to lose.

And Power 6’s don’t need to come to Newark and won’t, and good mid-majors won’t come either if we don’t put butts in the seats.

Tomorrow in Newark, when Delaware Stadium is not sold out for the #1 team in the nation, will be the perfect example that the casual Delaware fan (and many are) won’t show up until it becomes the thing to do again. In the case of men’s basketball that likely means multiple 20 win seasons and CAA championships. A good run for part of a season or a couple of good opponents won’t do squat.