CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
HenFromWA
UD Class: 2019

CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25

Post by HenFromWA » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:18 pm

UDPat

Re: CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25

Post by UDPat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:27 pm

Up to # 13 this week.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:45 pm

These rankings are nice and all, but I can't help but feel they are a little inflated with our 275 strength of schedule ranking.
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... h-by-other

Look, I get it, MI wanted to schedule some cupcakes in the beginning of the year to give the team some confidence, but I need to see how they perform against some higher level competition. The "light" schedule isn't actually drawing people to the games, either.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:12 pm

Breys best team IMO was the 98-99 team going 25-6 and starting the season 8-0. They also played Tenn tough in the dance and due to an uncharacteristic horrendous shooting day, lost that game.

Here was the OOC schedule for that team that won their first 8.

@American -W
Del St - W
Rider - W
@Howard - W
@Colgate - W
@Drexel -W (early conf game)
Lafayette - W
Charl Southern - W
C of Charleston - L
@UVA - L

I don’t see much difference between that schedule and this year’s.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:21 pm

The only stats I need to see are the Eye Test Rankings. If people stay away, or are suspect in how good this team is currently playing, then they're missing out. Heck, the currently 5th ranked Ohio State has a weaker SOS at 299.

allteamball

Post by allteamball » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:27 pm

I was actually at that Tennessee game. Hens had chance to win that one. I seem to recall a few questionable calls that may have turned the tide. I'm sure TennHen was there?!

I don't in any way want to take away from what the Hens have accomplished with a 8-0 record or diminish their chances of a CAA title or tournament potential. I'm just stating the obvious, they have had an easy schedule to date evidenced by their strength of schedule ranking. The next couple of weeks should tell me more about this team.

hoopster

Post by hoopster » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:06 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:21 pm
The only stats I need to see are the Eye Test Rankings. If people stay away, or are suspect in how good this team is currently playing, then they're missing out. Heck, the currently 5th ranked Ohio State has a weaker SOS at 299.
That's interesting that Ohio State has a SOS of 299 even after crushing a top 25 team in Villanova, yet we somehow have a higher SOS. Anyway, this team is fun to watch. The days of no plays being run and one-on-one dribbling are hopefully a distant memory. It's nice to actually see assists when we make shots, something I hadn't seen consistently since Brey was here.
GO BIG BLUE!

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:15 pm

Yep...that Tennessee team was primed to be upset that year, and if John Gordon had been his usual self shooting the ball, we could have won. The Vols actually got blown out in the next round by Steve Alford’s 12th seeded SW Missouri State team. And if not for questionable calls the next season in the America East title game against Hofstra, that group would have gone to a 3rd straight Tournament.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:30 pm

I was at that Tennessee game. I don't remember any questionable calls. I remember Pegues was unstoppable inside even drawing double teams but if we could have hit the broad side of a barn from the outside that day, we win that game. Awful is how I would describe our outside shooting that day.

IMHO, the schedule is being way over analyzed. I am not disputing it's difficulty, it's not!! And I believe it was constructed that way. There's nothing wrong to build confidence in a team/program that has been down for a while. But basketball is like a prize fight. You give shots and you take shots.
What has impressed me is that this squad has bounced back when teams have made a run at them. Since the UTSA game the have won 4 games by double digits and 2 by 8. Even when teams are making runs at them, they are responding!!

Plus it's Dec. 3, while I care how they are playing, I don't want them playing their best now, how about March 3!! Tourny Time.

I have seen a few comments about playing with the big boys. :roll: :roll: Should it would nice but ALL that matters is those 18 games that start 12/28. It was mentioned before but quit putting the cart before the horse. Ding Ding Ding We need to focus on the CAA and while I think the league is decent and balanced......I have seen nothing that puts any fear in me. Respect? Yes Do I think we will cake walk thru the CAA? Not a chance but if we continue to grow as a unit and stay healthy, we have a very good chance to have a successful season.

They may well be a time to worry about the big boys, but that is step 98 and we are currently on step 4.

I have spoken to a very knowledgeable basketball guy who has ties to both UD and Nova. He has told me what to expect from Dylan Painter.

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:46 pm

The Lafayette team we beat on the road recently beat Penn by double digits and has St Joes next. Penn has wins at Alabama, at UCF( who beat Charleston twice), La Salle and Providence.

allteamball

Post by allteamball » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:56 pm

Again, just stating a fact that we have a 275 (weak) strength of schedule with that 9-0 record. Not trying to overanalyze it, just stating a fact.

HenFromWA
UD Class: 2019

Post by HenFromWA » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Go to ESPN's BPI page and look at the Strength of Record (SOR) Rankings: Hens currently 18th.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:20 pm

I’m one of the folks who “complained” about our non conference schedule not being challenging enough, and actually the administration perhaps not being as creative as they could be when it comes to scheduling. I would have liked to have seen this team challenged just a bit more before CAA games kick in, but no one can argue that they haven’t exceeded expectations up to this point. The kids can only play whoever is on their schedule. I do think the Bahamas trip this summer also helped contribute to the fast start.

Really like how the newcomers have fit in with the returning players. Mutts has been a pleasure to watch. The kid comes to play every game, and is actually much more talented offensively than I thought. Darling appears to be a star in the making, and I’m looking forward to seeing Painter added to the mix. KA has been solid, and Ryan Allen has the ability to take over a game. Even Goss has played reasonably well at times...that’s for you Pat. :D

GW will be a decent test on the road, but we all know the big challenge is December 14th against Nova. If we can play a competitive game against the Wildcats, that would truly be telling. And if we somehow manage to pull off the upset, and the entire basketball world would start to take notice. Hey, a guy can dream, can’t he???

allteamball

Post by allteamball » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:30 pm

finpxz1,

Agreed on all points. This team is solid and passes the "eye test" for me. I have stated previously that this team is playing at a level above what I am used to seeing around here for quite some time now. I think coach MI is doing a great job molding this team and giving them the freedom to create. Goss, as you have said "has played reasonably well at times"...serviceable. Painter should be an ugrade when he gets here....although he may be rusty "out of the gate"

I'm #ALLIN! Just wish the schedule was more challenging leading into conference play.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:06 pm

finpxz1 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:20 pm
I’m one of the folks who “complained” about our non conference schedule not being challenging enough, and actually the administration perhaps not being as creative as they could be when it comes to scheduling. I would have liked to have seen this team challenged just a bit more before CAA games kick in, but no one can argue that they haven’t exceeded expectations up to this point. The kids can only play whoever is on their schedule. I do think the Bahamas trip this summer also helped contribute to the fast start.

Really like how the newcomers have fit in with the returning players. Mutts has been a pleasure to watch. The kid comes to play every game, and is actually much more talented offensively than I thought. Darling appears to be a star in the making, and I’m looking forward to seeing Painter added to the mix. KA has been solid, and Ryan Allen has the ability to take over a game. Even Goss has played reasonably well at times...that’s for you Pat. :D

GW will be a decent test on the road, but we all know the big challenge is December 14th against Nova. If we can play a competitive game against the Wildcats, that would truly be telling. And if we somehow manage to pull off the upset, and the entire basketball world would start to take notice. Hey, a guy can dream, can’t he???
So you were a ref for 20 years?? I salute you. My biggest coaching accomplishment in 20+ years??? Never getting a T. Proud of that. My wife would ask why I didn't ref as that was a paid gig. My response, "I don't want to deal with someone like me". Won some big games but I am most proud of that.

Had a great ref named Robby Maloney, He'd walk in to the gym see me and He knew 3 things were going to happen
1) I'd talk to him the entire game
2) No one other than me and him knew I was doing that
3) Win, lose or draw, He knew I'd shake his hand after every game and Thank him