2020-2021 Season

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
UDPat

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by UDPat » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:08 am

BlueHenBill wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:15 pm
They both look real good with no defemders to bother them :) Good video but I had to mute the awful noise.
I have watched a lot more tape on both of these guys then just what Dave added yesterday.

Pete Mullenberg???? Perhaps, but he didn't make my list. I give a big clue if you read between the lines. :wink:
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Hen90
UD Class: 1990

Post by Hen90 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:54 am

UDPat wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:51 pm
Hen90 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:13 pm
Nice! They both look great. Thanks for sharing this Dave. I agree with your comments about Arletti. We have a pretty good precedent with Kevin Anderson's in that his length as a 6'5" PG has been helpful from a match up standpoint at times.

Any sense for how athletic Arletti is? I"m wondering about his ability to defend the perimeter against smaller and quick opponents?
Good thought, I think He's a little more athletic than most think. But in MI's scheme of his back court not having defined roles. Arletti could very well be the PG but on offense but on the defensive side of things could match up more favorably on a wing? Perhaps Allen, Gardiner and if he develops, Ebby would be great for that smaller quicker player defensively. IMHO

Let's assume there is a season. With Darling,Allen,Anderson and Gardiner, can we agree those get the majority of back court minutes. I am only using any kind of 4 guard offense for extreme cases. That leaves McCoy, Ebby and Arletti in the back court. Does 1 redshirt? I say definitely if Ochafu is eligible. I think Ebby would benefit the most from one. Arletti seems to be more polished at this point??

Now assuming Ochafu can play, that leaves 4 bigs, Painter, Ochafu, Novakovich and Carr. Painter is the one given. And I like Carr and Novakovich. Here's where I go off script.....Carr starts. As long as He can defend, asking a lot, but I like Ochafu as a vet big off the bench and in the 2nd half, you can play him and Painter if needed ,provided they are best D options??? Playing with the upperclassmen pays big time benefits for Carr moving forward.
And again there needs to be some time for Novakovich, He has good foot work defensively and he can shoot, needs to start producing.

In watching the video that Dave posted(thx), Carr reminded me of a former Hen great. Can you name them?

Felt good to talk hoops!!!
Thanks Pat. Your thoughts here make a lot of sense to me. Like you say, a lot of it will depend on the match ups.

I was going to say, tongue in cheek, that Andrew Carr kind of reminds me of Phil Carr and Tim Carr! :)

UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:35 pm

UDPat wrote:
Hen90 wrote:
Nice! They both look great. Thanks for sharing this Dave. I agree with your comments about Arletti. We have a pretty good precedent with Kevin Anderson's in that his length as a 6'5" PG has been helpful from a match up standpoint at times.

Any sense for how athletic Arletti is? I"m wondering about his ability to defend the perimeter against smaller and quick opponents?
Good thought, I think He's a little more athletic than most think. But in MI's scheme of his back court not having defined roles. Arletti could very well be the PG but on offense but on the defensive side of things could match up more favorably on a wing? Perhaps Allen, Gardiner and if he develops, Ebby would be great for that smaller quicker player defensively. IMHO

Let's assume there is a season. With Darling,Allen,Anderson and Gardiner, can we agree those get the majority of back court minutes. I am only using any kind of 4 guard offense for extreme cases. That leaves McCoy, Ebby and Arletti in the back court. Does 1 redshirt? I say definitely if Ochafu is eligible. I think Ebby would benefit the most from one. Arletti seems to be more polished at this point??

Now assuming Ochafu can play, that leaves 4 bigs, Painter, Ochafu, Novakovich and Carr. Painter is the one given. And I like Carr and Novakovich. Here's where I go off script.....Carr starts. As long as He can defend, asking a lot, but I like Ochafu as a vet big off the bench and in the 2nd half, you can play him and Painter if needed ,provided they are best D options??? Playing with the upperclassmen pays big time benefits for Carr moving forward.
And again there needs to be some time for Novakovich, He has good foot work defensively and he can shoot, needs to start producing.

In watching the video that Dave posted(thx), Carr reminded me of a former Hen great. Can you name them?

I also agree Ebby would benefit the most from a redshirt season. I think these two freshmen coming in are going to be steals for the program

UDHoops

Post by UDHoops » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:35 pm

UDPat wrote:
Hen90 wrote:

I also agree Ebby would benefit the most from a redshirt season. I think these two freshmen coming in are going to be steals for the program

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:35 pm

9 players now for upcoming season. if Ochefu gets a waiver, have 10.

Starting 5?
Painter
Carr
Gardiner
Allen
Anderson

UDHoops

Post by UDHoops » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:40 pm

darthdave wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:35 pm
9 players now for upcoming season. if Ochefu gets a waiver, have 10.

Starting 5?
Painter
Carr
Gardiner
Allen
Anderson
That’d be mine:
Anderson/Arletti
Allen/McCoy
Gardiner/Asamoah
Carr/Novakovich
Painter/Ochefu

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:01 pm

Just checked Gardner's stats at the NCC web site. His numbers dropped considerably from his freshmen year to this second one. His percentages in almost all categories were not impressive. Can you guys include other information that would sweeten my thoughts about his "stuff"

I was impressed with McCoy's play and expect he will have improve a lot from his experience last year. He is a tough kid with nice size and good fundamentals. He had limited minutes and that added pressure to jump in as a fish. He fouled too often, but didn't get any help from the officials.

I imagine that there will be a lot of competition for that 5th spot. It may end up that there will be a good amount of subbing early to determine whose skills mesh best with the 4 expected starters especially Carr will be the new addition.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:20 am

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:58 am

oh yeah great pic sky diving :D thanks DD
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

UDHoops