Maryland game

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.

Re: Maryland game

Postby woodmontCT_hen on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:17 pm

The next 4 games on our schedule suck from a fan interest standpoint, but will be a great investment in terms of getting our team to "gel".

We play:

-Saint Peters
-Chestnut Hill
-Cornell
-WilmU

How do we not come out of that stretch in great shape?
Goat Track Hacker
woodmontCT_hen

UD Class: 2008

Postby Scott on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:38 pm

We were trying to park and found out we needed a permit for that lot. However, the attendants let us in because as they said, “it is a exhibition game”

The scoreboard was very nice. I am anxious to see the new one at the BOB to see how it compares.

Loved the Hens effort. It would have been easy to give up when down big. We just had too many players who had no business on the floor vs a Big 10 team. But that is ok...some players cant raise their games to that level . We just need them to be good CAA level players.

Carter was a beast. Anderson looked rusty but he has such great court sense. Horton will be special.

Does anybody know what happened on Carter’s two flagrant fouls? It was impressive that he only picked up two “in game” fouls against a big time team.

If MD turns out to be a top tier Big 10 Team then we will be better than the 9-9 record that jd of de had predicted.
Scott

Postby UDForever on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:01 am

As mentioned, Hens hung tough tonight against a team right outside the top 25 in both pre season polls. There were many Maryland fans around us that were nervous those last 10 minutes. If we have Allen or don’t go cold those last 10 minutes of the first half we probably win that game.

Carter was dominant. Hope he is ok after he got dinged in the final few minutes. He even hit his first career 3 and the form looked pretty good. Anderson will shake off the rust. He was in control the entire night and ran a good point just couldn’t get the shot to fall. Cushing provided a spark in the second half. Horton did not look like a freshmen.

Need a W against St Peters. Derrick Woods is now a member of their program.
UDForever

Postby jd of de on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:27 am

UDForever wrote:Need a W against St Peters. Derrick Woods is now a member of their program.

oh great, a Cushing-Woods meeting ... affluent suburban meets urban thug, round 2 :roll: :roll: Keep your cool Jake; Woods ain't worth it.
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby darthdave on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 am

My brother and I made it down for the game.

Carter obviously was the highlight....I felt he has disappeared in games vs teams with good big men. Not tonight....29 pts, 9 board, 2 block, 2 steals. The concern is who is behind him....Goss was a major disappointment. Had a couple shots swatted...took a 3 that just looked awful. We need him to offer 8-10 mins of a solid play because there is no one else in the frontcourt.

Anderson looked rusty but still saw some good things. Will be honest in that I was disappointed in his overall stat line, mainly the shooting but first game back.

Johnson and Bryant didn't do much...solid D but I think we saw what to expect. Not much shooting...1 rebound between the 2 of them in 54 minutes is not good.

Horton was as advertised....plays with confidence, aggressive but not out of control. The throwdown dunk was a nice statement...hit some nice shots. Overall shooting wasn't great but when Allen is back along with Anderson, a very good backcourt.

Veretto….I like what I saw. I can see what some of the guys who saw practice describing him as a lunch pail guy. Interesting that he was off the bench before Cushing...speaking of, he finally showed up with some key 3's.

Looking forward to the continued growth and a win at St Peters....a must imo to build off this performance.

Maryland..while talented is going to struggle if they cant find some shooters. Teams bigger and more athletic than us will zone them and negate their 2 bigs. I think they were pre season 5th in Big10.
darthdave

UD Class: 1993

Postby tenn hen on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:47 am

+1 spot on.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Postby BlueHenBill on Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Great effort, Carter was unbelievable, but I expect better shooting from a team recruited as shooters.
BlueHenBill

Postby allteamball on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 pm

As I mentioned when Carter got snubbed in pre-season recognition, he may be the most underrated big man in the league. That's OK, that will just motivate him more. Kudos to him and his coaches for his great development over the years, The kid had taken big leaps forward each season! Shows what hard work can do......the best is yet to come!
allteamball

UD Class: 1992

Postby UDan on Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:26 pm

Carter definitely had a coming-out party in College Park that should wake the CAA up to the fact that he could have been first-team. I know that for me, this comeback (though not a win) soothed some of the concern felt with the departed transfers. Let's take this encouraging sign and run with it!
Image 2018 GoHens.net CAA Elimination Challenge Finalist // 2018 GoHens.net Top 25 Pick-Em Pool 4th Place (173-63)
Blue & Gold,True & Bold We Are Section J
UDan

UD Class: 2025

Postby Youdee Blues on Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:10 am

BlueHenBill wrote:Great effort, Carter was unbelievable, but I expect better shooting from a team recruited as shooters.

Of course you do.
Youdee Blues

UD Class: 1996

Postby BlueHenBill on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:32 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
BlueHenBill wrote:Great effort, Carter was unbelievable, but I expect better shooting from a team recruited as shooters.

Of course you do.

Thank you for acknowledging my genius. :P
BlueHenBill

Postby darthdave on Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Hofstra lost to Maryland by 11 after leading by 6 at half
darthdave

UD Class: 1993

Postby jd of de on Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:57 am

darthdave wrote:Hofstra lost to Maryland by 11 after leading by 6 at half

Next weekend will be a better gauge of where we stand but I am starting to believe we have the potential be in that #3 & #4 discussion with Hofstra and William & Mary.

Charlotte and E. Carolina were both picked near the bottom of their conferences so it's hard to gauge where JMU may stand.
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby UDPat on Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:41 am

jd of de wrote:
darthdave wrote:Hofstra lost to Maryland by 11 after leading by 6 at half

Next weekend will be a better gauge of where we stand but I am starting to believe we have the potential be in that #3 & #4 discussion with Hofstra and William & Mary.

Charlotte and E. Carolina were both picked near the bottom of their conferences so it's hard to gauge where JMU may stand.

Could not agree more. Both UNCG and La Tech are both above average mid majors that should prove good tests for the Hens. The key will be for this squad to continue to grow and mature as a unit. Plus once Allen returns, that will provide a very solid 9 man rotation providing they can be injury free. This would also allow for Novakovich to red shirt which benefits both the player and the team. But we aren't even out of the 1st turn of the season.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!
UDPat

Postby tenn hen on Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:32 am

Pat- +1 just my thoughts. the development of the new influx of players with our returning starters will be the key. We've certainly got reasonable talent as Carter has stepped it up again. It's just how they learn to play together. If they can shoot the 3's at a nice %, then I like the blend of this squad.

BTW- crush the Cats today!
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
tenn hen

UD Class: 1967

Previous

Return to Hen Hoops