UMES

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.

Re: UMES

Postby Maineroad on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:39 pm

UMES was/is the first historically Black school to appear in the NIT - six years before Alcorn State would become the first HBCU to appear in the NCAA They beat one of my pet teams - Manhattan, which was the first visiting team I ever saw play in the Palestra, and which had really dope uniforms (though it would still be many years before anyone would refer to anything as "dope" in that way), before falling by two to the mighty Dolphins of Jacksonville. That Manhattan team was led by Bill Campion, who would go on to lose more basketball games than anyone in history as the long-time starting center of the Washington Generals. That UMES team finished at 27-2, losing also to "Marvelous" Marvin Webster's Morgan State Bears before an SRO crowd of 10,500 in Baltimore They would avenge that loss later in the conference title game. That was the high-water mark for the Delmarva school, which hasn't been to any post-season tournament since.
Maineroad

Postby allteamball on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:43 pm

The announcer said Delaware is in position to break a record with 6 wins in November…...wowl ….somewhat surprised. Is this a sign of good times to come? Do we really know how good this team really is?

It would be great to get the buzz back at the BCC!
Last edited by allteamball on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allteamball

UD Class: 1992

Postby Maineroad on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Scheduling Chestnut Hill and Wilmington College will lead to record-breaking results. Next year we squeeze in Goldey Beacom for additional glory.
Maineroad

Postby allteamball on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:59 pm

Verreto has me forgetting about Daly real quick. Call me crazy, but I actually think Verreto has a higher ceiling than Daly..

I may actually head up to NYC to watch our Hens play Columbia on Sunday, call me crazy.
allteamball

Postby Info Hound on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:14 pm

Maineroad wrote:Scheduling Chestnut Hill and Wilmington College will lead to record-breaking results. Next year we squeeze in Goldey Beacom for additional glory.

Goldey is probably in the local D2 rotation next year again, which is fine.

Anyway, very impressed with these freshmen, Horton with 17, Veretto with 16. Not playing like freshmen. Martin may have a rookie of the year, for the third year in a row.

Go Hens!
#BlueHensRising 2018-2019 will be a year of measurable success: Football (playoffs), M&W basketball, MSoccer (conf. tourney), MLacrosse, and more!
Info Hound

UD Class: 1900

Postby darthdave on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:31 pm

Info Hound wrote:
Maineroad wrote:Scheduling Chestnut Hill and Wilmington College will lead to record-breaking results. Next year we squeeze in Goldey Beacom for additional glory.

Goldey is probably in the local D2 rotation next year again, which is fine.

Anyway, very impressed with these freshmen, Horton with 17, Veretto with 16. Not playing like freshmen. Martin may have a rookie of the year, for the third year in a row.

Go Hens!

Right now with a little under a 1/3 of the season complete, Horton would win ROY imo. 1st in scoring, 2nd is FT%, 1st in 3pt%. I don't think he wins it though as we have Ryan Allen coming back and this will certainly cut into stats. If Horton and Veretto have a slight drop but continue to produce, we are still looking at 2 potential all rookie guys.

From what I could see and it was hard with the awful broadcast, our D seemed weak tonight and our O couldn't figure out the zone. Columbia will be a tougher test. They are 0-4 against D1 teams but all 4 losses have bene close.

Anyone have an idea on Allen and if we are still looking at mid December for his return? With the play of Horton, I wonder if MI will ease Allen back in with less minutes initially. John Gordon was not the same player after having the same type of injury.

OT - Radford beat #17 Texas tonight. Beat ND earlier as well, sitting at 6-1. Nothing to do with us but still neat to see mids win these games.
darthdave

UD Class: 1993

Postby Info Hound on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:43 pm

Let's get the win vs. Columbia, then host USNA on Wednesday. Maybe we can get some fans out on a weeknight for a 7-2 home team.
#BlueHensRising 2018-2019 will be a year of measurable success: Football (playoffs), M&W basketball, MSoccer (conf. tourney), MLacrosse, and more!
Info Hound

Postby jd of de on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Info Hound wrote:Let's get the win vs. Columbia, then host USNA on Wednesday. Maybe we can get some fans out on a weeknight for a 7-2 home team.

Chrissi & Martin have been doing their jobs; it’s time fans start doing theirs and get their butts to the BOB. Harsh but fact.

Attendance and rockin’ the BOB are the next pieces this program needs. 12/5, 12/9 & 12/19; see you at 1, 2 or all 3 but I’ll see you.
jd of de

UD Class: 0

Postby NCSTATEHENS09 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:51 pm

Let's schedule West Chester! Have them bring their band and everything :lol: :lol:

Would have liked to see a bigger win margin, but I guess UMES shot a little better than the God awful 17-54 I witnessed first hand down in Raleigh against NC State. Any chance of seeing Allen back by Christmas? Could be a hell of a team
GO HENS!!
GO WOLFPACK!!
GO FALCONS!!
GO FLYERS!!
GO PHILLIES!!
NCSTATEHENS09

Postby Info Hound on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:59 pm

allteamball wrote:Verreto has me forgetting about Daly real quick. Call me crazy, but I actually think Verreto has a higher ceiling than Daly..

I may actually head up to NYC to watch our Hens play Columbia on Sunday, call me crazy.

Matt, after the game tonight:

Matt Veretto
"There isn't much difference for me between coming off the bench or starting, I'm just focused on winning every game. I couldn't be in a better program; our team is like a family and we're just hoping to keep it rolling."

I love the attitude.
Info Hound

Postby Maineroad on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:26 am

If you go to Columbia, make sure you arrive early if you want to get the parking space.
Maineroad

Postby Maineroad on Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:38 am

West Chester has a brief dalliance with Division 1 basketball, and were, for a time, in the Hens’ conference, the Mid-Atlantic West, along with fellow doormat Lehigh, generally decent Rider and Bucknell, and perennial champ Lafayette. Gettysburg was in there at some point, but bailed in 73 or 74. For one season, perhaps even more ridiculously, the Golden Rams were in the MAC East, along with teams like Temple, St. Joes, American and Hofstra (not sure when LaSalle joined the party). They had a center, and football tight end, Joe Senser, who led the nation in field goal percentage. He would go on to play a bunch of years for the Vikings (Minnesota, not Christiana). The West Chester gym was kind of great, the Hollinger Field House, or the “Ram Shack.” This was during an era when students went to sporting events, and that place rocked.
Maineroad

Postby dchen on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:42 am

Wasn't there once a Middle Five poor man to the Big 5?
dchen

UD Class: 1972

Postby UD1Hens on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:13 am

The feed wasn't great so I admittedly did not consume the whole game. But I did follow the parts I did not watch on the gamecast. I don't think we are at the point of the program to be taking road wins in a sleepy gym for granted. This young team did enough to get the job done and that's all you can ask for in November. As December roles on, you'd like to see the younger guys continue to take the next step and prepare for CAA play. They have played really well and are developing into a ND style team where you have an active big surrounded by 4 shooters to help space the floor.
Goal: Delaware playoff football talk at the table on Thanksgiving Day.
UD1Hens

UD Class: 2009

Postby allteamball on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:15 am

Info Hound wrote:
allteamball wrote:Verreto has me forgetting about Daly real quick. Call me crazy, but I actually think Verreto has a higher ceiling than Daly..

Matt, after the game tonight:

Matt Veretto
"There isn't much difference for me between coming off the bench or starting, I'm just focused on winning every game. I couldn't be in a better program; our team is like a family and we're just hoping to keep it rolling."

I love the attitude.

I love this Verreto kid.....hia all-around game, his competitiveness and his attitude. Not afraid to take the big shot, sorta like John Gordon.

A couple of players have mentioned "family". Not sure why the difference between this year and previous years. However, I do notice Carter smiling a lot more this season. :)
allteamball

PreviousNext

Return to Hen Hoops