2019 Recruits

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
mpwerrell

2019 Recruits

Post by mpwerrell » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:15 am

Per Verbal Commits, Evan Buckley, to whom UD offered, has committed to Duquesne. We still have offers to:
- Chris Arcidiacono
- Nah'shon Hyland

Both have multiple offers. Hyland's biggest offers from Temple and St Joe's.

At the last coaches show, MI wasn't sure if he was going to add another high school recruit and/ or a graduate transfer.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Re: 2019 Recruits

Post by darthdave » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:35 am

With how the roster looks, I don’t see an impact high school recruit coming here this year. Not to suggest the staff isn’t trying but with 9 guys returning in 2020-2021, hs kids see this and may look elsewhere with more PT available.

I think Hyland ends up at Temple with St Joes possiblly out of picture with coaching change.

Archidiacono I feel wants to go higher due to him going prep despite number of quality mid major offfers and his brothers history.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:57 am

darthdave wrote:With how the roster looks, I don’t see an impact high school recruit coming here this year. Not to suggest the staff isn’t trying but with 9 guys returning in 2020-2021, hs kids see this and may look elsewhere with more PT available.

I think Hyland ends up at Temple with St Joes possiblly out of picture with coaching change.

Archidiacono I feel wants to go higher due to him going prep despite number of quality mid major offfers and his brothers history.
Hyland (a "high impact hs recruit") wouldn't come to UD because of PT fears but he would go to Temple? C'mon. If Hyland is that good, he would take many minutes away from the guys who played on a 17-16 CAA team. Anyway, if he goes to Temple, it will probably be because they play at a much higher level. That's what most kids want to do ... play at the highest level they can.

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:36 am

I am pretty sure Devon Saddler came to Delaware because he was given the keys to the car......the cupboard was bare. There were no Ryan Allens, Hortons, Darlings on the roster. I don't know the Providence situation, which is a "bigger" school, that wanted him but most likely there was competition in front of him.

I was not in Saddlers head but pretty sure that had something to do with his decision.

Is Hyland better than Horton, Allen or Darling? Who knows but the fact he hasn't committed to these schools tells me Temple, St Joes, etc had/have other priority recruits and Hyland may be a fall back option.

My point is I doubt MI, if they are even still recruiting Hyland, is handing him the keys and recruiting over his current players...so, a guy like Hyland, IMO, our situation will affect his decision and opt for a bigger school or another mid that PT will be plentiful or even guaranteed.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:10 am

The one move I would like to see which I don't believe we have now is a transfer like T. Owens(TT) for frontcourt strength. We got the guards , but it is up front Size we need. Will Painter, Mutts be enough?? I want one more really strong inside presence to make us viable outside the CAA. BTW- did you guys see an open Owens rolling to the bucket and not receiving a pass from Culver multiple times during the game? That cost them a number of points.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:28 pm

I saw enough good from Goss the last third of the season to think He will have a role in the front court. Maybe 12 minutes a game but a role. The guy hadn't played any significant ball in 3 years( aka Baptiste). I don't expect a Carl Baptiste like senior year, but a role on the squad.

Doesn't mean I don't think we can still improve but let's not forget him completely.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:24 pm

UDPat wrote:I saw enough good from Goss the last third of the season to think He will have a role in the front court. Maybe 12 minutes a game but a role. The guy hadn't played any significant ball in 3 years( aka Baptiste). I don't expect a Carl Baptiste like senior year, but a role on the squad.

Doesn't mean I don't think we can still improve but let's not forget him completely.
I am a Goss fan....if he can improve his defense this off season, we have a good backup. He is a good passer IMO, can hit the 3 and has the size to make some baby hook moves in the paint over CAA big men. His play when Carter had foul issues at end of year was very good.

Regarding the other big, Novakovich, I keep seeing Freddie G. I really hope I am wrong.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:06 pm

I'd love to see a "Josh Brinkley type" rebounder/enforcer under the boards...Maybe Mutts can be one of the guys to do the dirty work down low?

SeanieWard
UD Class: 2007

Post by SeanieWard » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:51 pm

I have a feeling a guy like Hyland will end up going prep. He has a few Atlantic 10 offers which is one of the better conferences out there and still no decision. He's probably looking for a situation where he gets a lot of PT right away.

Whether he's better than the 3 guards UD has right now (Horton, Allen, Anderson)..I think he may be better than Anderson, especially at the PG position. One thing that Anderson struggled with is decision making and being lackadaisical with the ball at times especially when pressured. Hyland would be an upgrade there. Horton is special and Allen is a proven player at this level so I wouldn't put him ahead of those guys just yet but he's got that "it" factor.

I think UD can maybe use another wing with 2 vets Bryant and Johnson leaving. I know Darling is supposed to get heavy minutes next year but they can still use more depth there imo

UDJoe

Post by UDJoe » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:44 am

[quote="darthdave"][quote="UDPat"]I saw enough good from Goss the last third of the season to think He will have a role in the front court. Maybe 12 minutes a game but a role. The guy hadn't played any significant ball in 3 years( aka Baptiste). I don't expect a Carl Baptiste like senior year, but a role on the squad.

Doesn't mean I don't think we can still improve but let's not forget him completely.[/quote]

I am a Goss fan....if he can improve his defense this off season, we have a good backup. He is a good passer IMO, can hit the 3 and has the size to make some baby hook moves in the paint over CAA big men. His play when Carter had foul issues at end of year was very good.

Regarding the other big, Novakovich, I keep seeing Freddie G. I really hope I am wrong.[/quote]

I think your concerns about Novakovich are off-base, based on what I have seen and heard. His red shirt year served its intended purpose and IMHO he will be a welcome contributor next season.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 am

The recruiting for this coming season was done a year ago. Any addition to the roster as it exist today will either be;
a) a small role player for 2019-2020
b) a piece for the future

If we implement a system to manage everyone's minutes (IMO we need to) and then add another player to the mix I ask; who's losing minutes? Your choice is the next Chyree Walker.

Darling ... 33 minutes
Anderson ... 31 minutes
Allen ... 27 minutes
Horton ... 27 minutes

Mutts ... 26 minutes
Veretto ... 16 minutes
Novakovich ... 16 minutes
Painter ... 16 minutes
Goss ... 8 minutes

Cushing ... odd man out after Dec 14th (Painter comes off red-shirt)

For 10 months the foundation for this coming season has been laid in practices, the film room and team building exercises. By my observations and also from what I have heard, this group as it exist today is tight. In practice they share the ball very well and all seem very team motivated. MI is not going to want to screw up 10 months of work.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:03 am

Interesting observation- Many of the best teams in the NCAA tournament were led by at least 3 players each playing between 30-35 minutes.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:51 am

If there are no additions to the roster needed or expected except for a role player or a player for the future, I guess that means the Hens are good enough to win the CAA and get to the tourney? No, I don't guess ... because if no one else is needed it must mean the team is set to finally win in MI's 4th year. Or is it year 5 after all these right fit, team oriented players have a year to play together in actual games?

And to who would be this years off season version of Walker and in season version of Cushing? Anyone who isn't as good as whoever was brought in be it a freshman or graduate transfer. There are plenty of choices. That's how it works in college athletics. It is about competition and nothing is guaranteed, at least that is what Rocco says and our football goheners preach.

Hopefully this carefully crafted, almost magical assembly of players works next year. This year we heard a lot about how close the team was. It was obviously over played by some and probably really to deflect some against Daly leaving. But that's in the past ..... Just friggen win in what looks to be a CAA next year that might be even worse than this year.

Oh ... and Joe Linardi did make an early bracket estimate for next year and had the CAA winner lower than the AE winner. Hummmmmm ....

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:51 am

UDJoe wrote:
darthdave wrote:
UDPat wrote:I saw enough good from Goss the last third of the season to think He will have a role in the front court. Maybe 12 minutes a game but a role. The guy hadn't played any significant ball in 3 years( aka Baptiste). I don't expect a Carl Baptiste like senior year, but a role on the squad.

Regarding the other big, Novakovich, I keep seeing Freddie G. I really hope I am wrong.
I think your concerns about Novakovich are off-base, based on what I have seen and heard. His red shirt year served its intended purpose and IMHO he will be a welcome contributor next season.
I should have been more clear with my message. He looks like Freddie G so I’m referring to how Freddie was considered a good recruit, a big man who can shoot 3’s. I have not seen Novakovich play other than in warmup line. My comment was more a joke...and I hope he turns out to be a great player for us.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 am

I think Novakovich may be ready to contribute offensively but where we would really need him him is on the D side of things. Unless He gains significant strength, I am unsure if He can help next year in that capacity.

No disrespect but I don't think Novakovich gets 10 minutes a game. Too many folks ahead of him.

While we will see it at times next year, I am glad I am not hearing the ridiculous calls for a 4 guard offense. Told you all it was a gimmick and that proved true. Only effective in small doses!!!

While this team should have more depth, I do not see the bench going much beyond 8 maybe 9???
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!