2019 Recruits

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
jd of de

Re: 2019 Recruits

Post by jd of de » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:11 am

Henzone wrote:Interesting observation- Many of the best teams in the NCAA tournament were led by at least 3 players each playing between 30-35 minutes.
Hence almost 900 transfers each year :D To do that it pretty much means you are playing 8 guys and I can't see us doing that after Painter is eligible.

UNCG had 10 players play in 30 or more games. The top minute players was 28.7 minutes and the #9 player was 10.5 minutes and #10 was 5.3

If Allen, Anderson, Darling and Horton are all on the floor at the same time we go 6'2" - 6'5" - 6'5" - 6'3" ... that's small defensively.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:21 am

jd of de wrote:The recruiting for this coming season was done a year ago. Any addition to the roster as it exist today will either be;
a) a small role player for 2019-2020
b) a piece for the future

If we implement a system to manage everyone's minutes (IMO we need to) and then add another player to the mix I ask; who's losing minutes? Your choice is the next Chyree Walker.

Darling ... 33 minutes
Anderson ... 31 minutes
Allen ... 27 minutes
Horton ... 27 minutes

Mutts ... 26 minutes
Veretto ... 16 minutes
Novakovich ... 16 minutes
Painter ... 16 minutes
Goss ... 8 minutes

Cushing ... odd man out after Dec 14th (Painter comes off red-shirt)

For 10 months the foundation for this coming season has been laid in practices, the film room and team building exercises. By my observations and also from what I have heard, this group as it exist today is tight. In practice they share the ball very well and all seem very team motivated. MI is not going to want to screw up 10 months of work.
Was hoping we would hear that Painter received a waiver to play right away as I recall reading that UD made a request to NCAA. Havent seen anything since. You think Painter is only a 16 min guy? I haven't seen him in practice but figured him and Mutts for our 2 main post guys(20-25 min range) with Goss and Novakovich providing depth.

Saw a video of Mutts working out I believe with his dad...and he appears to have the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive...he was also hitting some nice 3's

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:12 pm

just some thoughts based on all the comments so far for the predictions for the makeup/lineups/minutes/abilities of the new eligible players added to the returnees.
Last edited by tenn hen on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:45 pm

just some thoughts based on all the comments so far for the predictions for the makeup/lineups/minutes/abilities of the new eligible players added to the returnees. My thoughts are predicated on watching all our games last season and ONLY the videos of the new guys coming out of high school/college transfer action. Did some of you fellas get to view the team practicing last season? or since the CA tournament? Any real input from you would be appreciated. Also the player's physical improvements you may have witnessed would be nice,i.e. weight(muscle), vertical, ball handling, attitude(I expect excellent though possibly negative for those not seeing an improvement in PT),etc, etc.

So- Mutts looks like a guy with tons of enthusiasm and strength- I'm hopeful he possesses enough strength and technique(blocking out, moves,etc.) to be a productive small forward and earn a good # of minutes.

Darling appears to have the right stuff to be quite an asset, Can he play tough defense and rebound? He appears from what I believe to possess solid scoring skills? should be getting a good # of minutes. Can and is he willing to be the point guard???

Painter- sounded like a nice pickup with an excellent hs bio, being recruited by Villanova, nice size with reasonable weight, but then things get murky.
The best I can garner is that though he had very limited pt with V, he must have a quite reasonably high potential to contribute at the CAA level at least for us. The practice v V's quality players for years should have made him tough. Better than Goss?- hopefully a good bit more. Goss improved through the season as a backup, but I believe he is really only valuable in certain matchups v opponents and the UD group on the floor with him. He lacks the speed/reactions to be a plus for us.

Horton( oh yeah), Allen(yeah), and Anderson( potential high, not a true point guard). The kid, if he continues his rapid improvement viewed at the end of the season, is a real weapon slashing to the bucket, but he must prove the 3( or 2s) will be there consistently.

Veretto and Cushing??? V hustles and gives good O, but can he handle the necessary D required under the boards?
C- can't really evaluate , and it appears that MI doesn't favor him with pt a la last season?

Rufo, Long- I have no clue except in the few minutes on court, R. showed some ability.

SO- Lots of possibilities for next season. MI seems to have brought in some pretty good talent for winning a CAA title if he utilizes them properly. This will be year 4, and he needs to have an outstanding season not including cupcake wins. I still believe that he must pick up an experienced type of big guy((like Owens from Tx. Tech) to complete the jigsaw puzzle. The four guard system ain't gonna hack it in today's game unless you possess outstanding Virginia type biggish men( H.+D.) who are RARE GEMS.
Last edited by tenn hen on Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hen90
UD Class: 1990

Post by Hen90 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:27 pm

jd of de wrote:The recruiting for this coming season was done a year ago. Any addition to the roster as it exist today will either be;
a) a small role player for 2019-2020
b) a piece for the future

If we implement a system to manage everyone's minutes (IMO we need to) and then add another player to the mix I ask; who's losing minutes? Your choice is the next Chyree Walker.

Darling ... 33 minutes
Anderson ... 31 minutes
Allen ... 27 minutes
Horton ... 27 minutes

Mutts ... 26 minutes
Veretto ... 16 minutes
Novakovich ... 16 minutes
Painter ... 16 minutes
Goss ... 8 minutes

Cushing ... odd man out after Dec 14th (Painter comes off red-shirt)

For 10 months the foundation for this coming season has been laid in practices, the film room and team building exercises. By my observations and also from what I have heard, this group as it exist today is tight. In practice they share the ball very well and all seem very team motivated. MI is not going to want to screw up 10 months of work.
JD, I'm really surprised to see you projecting only 16 minutes a game for Painter. No judgment in the question but wondering if you can elaborate on your thinking here? My guess would have been that he's a 25-30 minute guy. If we're only getting 16 minutes from a big (and 24 if you combine Painter and Goss), we could be in a lot of trouble on the boards and defensively. Mutts will help but doesn't have enough size to hold down the post defensively on his own. I also don't think we'll be going ten deep on a regular basis. However, that would be a good problem to have if we truly have ten guys that are capable of contributing quality minutes.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:06 am

In fairness I have not seen Painter practice yet. And I have not read or heard anything about a waiver so I am just assuming he can not play until the fall term ends.

What I have seen, Mutts is the teams best front-court player and can play from both the #5 and the #4 spots. He plays closer to 6'9" than his actual 6'7". He is leaper. He also has the same knack Veretto has; always around the ball. In practice he would give Carter fits.

And I've also seen Novakovich and at least offensively he will be difficult to keep off the floor.

Managing the front-court minutes will be key IMO to keeping Veretto happy and here. Hence, someone will see fewer minutes so we can go 9 deep. Playing Mutts 25+ minutes and Painter 25+ doesn't leave enough minutes for Veretto, Goss and Novakovich. That's my thought.

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 am

What a great problem to have with the depth, especially in the front court!

Next year is shaping up to be a good one!
👀 forward everybody ....... :)

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:29 am

jd of de wrote:In fairness I have not seen Painter practice yet. And I have not read or heard anything about a waiver so I am just assuming he can not play until the fall term ends.

What I have seen, Mutts is the teams best front-court player and can play from both the #5 and the #4 spots. He plays closer to 6'9" than his actual 6'7". He is leaper. He also has the same knack Veretto has; always around the ball. In practice he would give Carter fits.

And I've also seen Novakovich and at least offensively he will be difficult to keep off the floor.

Managing the front-court minutes will be key IMO to keeping Veretto happy and here. Hence, someone will see fewer minutes so we can go 9 deep. Playing Mutts 25+ minutes and Painter 25+ doesn't leave enough minutes for Veretto, Goss and Novakovich. That's my thought.

I notice Cushing was not mentioned whether inadvertently or for some other reason. This didn't surprise me as I have posted the dog house issue or a potential transfer coming. Veretto will probably need to beat out Novakovich for minutes, and their defensive ability may turn out to be the key factor for pt. N's height is a plus. As to his speed/reaction I have no clue, but MI clearly has seen them in practice to project selecting their use in matchups,etc.

Henny wrote:What a great problem to have with the depth, especially in the front court!

Next year is shaping up to be a good one!
Numbers we will have, but the quality of the depth is another question especially in the middle. If our bigs can handle the D, we'll be fine, but that has yet to be established. Mutts- I like a lot, but like Carter last season he will need more consistent help. Maybe we have enough now, but it is yet to be proven if we can handle the pounding under the bucket. I truly hope Painter can be the guy in the lane.

I still believe MI can bring in a quality kid before the grad transfer door is closed who has proven experience to handle the middle. He can easily impress a guy who wants lots more pt(starting) with the quality and depth of the remaining 4 positions we possess on the squad. With our potential to be a winner next season, a transfer could get the exposure/minutes he wants to show his "stuff" even in the CAA which is our weakest attraction for a recruit.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:35 pm

There is zero dog house issues with Cushing, not everybody plays. I have been clued in to the why. It's not something that is uncommon among some of today's players.

I don't think he's going anywhere but if he does, I wish him well.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:11 pm

Pat- I stand corrected. It was a poor choice of a phrase referring to Cushing's bench time. I do follow your drift about about pt. It's a #'s game. The kid gained my respect for his recovery from that distasteful incident and continuing in our program.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:54 am

tenn hen wrote:Pat- I stand corrected. It was a poor choice of a phrase referring to Cushing's bench time. I do follow your drift about about pt. It's a #'s game. The kid gained my respect for his recovery from that distasteful incident and continuing in our program.

I feel horrible for Cushing. That incident quite possibly cost him his career. Just to come back as you say should be saluted. Now my rough edges does have to look at the fact and I think this does get forgotten at times, His ability is still enabling him to get a college degree from a very respected University.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Archidiacono to Villanova following in his brothers footsteps

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:09 pm

darthdave wrote:Archidiacono to Villanova following in his brothers footsteps
As graduating senior, to the best of my memory he received no major conference offers. Now after one post-grad year at a prep school he is good enough to play at Nova?

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:35 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
As graduating senior, to the best of my memory he received no major conference offers. Now after one post-grad year at a prep school he is good enough to play at Nova?

Maybe Jay Wright has a good eye. Colin Gillespie had offers from Drexel, Delaware, Hofstra, Rider and a slew of D2 schools until Nova offered him late in the game. Starting guard, avg 10pts and 38% from 3 for Nova this year.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:43 am

BlueHenBill wrote:

On the morning after he went for 38 and became the NBA all-time 3 pointer playoff shooter, it seems right to point out that Stephen Curry, who played his high school ball within a 2-hour drive of ACC Duke, North Carolina, NC State & South Carolina and in the same town of C-USA UNC-Charlotte was un-recruited by all of them; even Virginia Tech where his father had played b-ball did not offer. Davidson who did offered him, coached him and believed in him now has a Elite Eight banner hanging from their rafters.

Who else is recruiting a kid is a poor gauge of what a 18 year old can become. A season at prep, a one summer change is what AAU team or level they play at and even a year of not living under mom & dads roof can and often does change these kids. The best coaches get to know these kids a lot before they offer. It may not always pan out they way coaches had hoped, but it's always wise to remember they know things about a kid that we will never know. Things that coaches who go to AAU tournaments and throw around offers because other coaches are offering them as well (they do exist), will not know as well.

I'm glad the year at prep the kid invested in himself payed off for him.