Penn State Scrimmage

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
BlueHenBill

Re: Penn State Scrimmage

Post by BlueHenBill » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:39 pm

allteamball wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:34 pm
BlueHenBill wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:16 pm
Ryan Allen unable to play with an ankle injury , so UD was down to 9 scholly players for the scrimmage vs. PSU. UD had 6 Bench Points to PSU's 36. UD missed Horton's offense. Sure wish we had him, Daly, and /or Veretto. Anderson was 3/10 and Mutts was 1/5 and 2/6 FTs. Both of those guys need to step up big time.
Bill,
Do you think a thin bench is going to haunt us this season?

I agree with you, I think we are going to miss the production of our 2 talented freshman last year - Horton and Varetto. Both combined for about 20 points a game. I sure am going to miss them, Horton especially stepped up in the playoffs and got us to the semi's.

Also, I worry that we are not going to replace the productivity of Carter in the middle.
A thin bench has haunted UD's Men's Basketball teams for years and probably will do so again this season. I should have posted that with Painter still not eligible, UD was down to 8 scholly players in the scrimmage vs. PSU. Many on hear pooh-pooh me when I post about an inadequate number of eligible and healthy scholly players. They post that after all UD will probably only use an 8 man rotation. Well that was the exact number of scholly players in total UD had available vs. PSU. Any issues such as injuries, off-the court misbehavior, or academic trouble (which seem to occur most seasons) and UD will be too thin to have a successful season.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:17 pm

I was at the game. First, Penn St has an awful arena IMO. Just not a good looking arena with a lot of wasted space. The student section (behind the basket) is a good 50 ft from the hoop. The athletic complex though is really nice with the football stadium, baseball stadium and hoop arena all in same area...like philly sports complex.

Penn St I believe was picked 10th out of 14 in the Big10. They have a pre-season kenpom rating of 43. Andy Katz has them 30th in his power 36 rankings. I noticed a few comments above suggesting this was a horrible loss to a bad Big10 team. This Big10 team would win the CAA with no issue.

This game was like men vs boys. Their front court which went 6'10 260, 6'9 240, 6'8 240 and 6'8 230 manhandled us. It was not even close. Quite frankly, in all the years of watching basketball, I had never seen such a disparity in the physical post play of two teams.

If Goss is beating out Painter for the 5 spot, we will have issues all year in the paint. I was expecting more from Goss based off end of last season and pre-season reports. He looked like he did in the maryland game...completely over matched. I realize it was against a Big10 team but right now I am downgrading my thoughts on the season.

1. Our front court is really thin....Goss, while I like his game, is not a banger and anyone with decent size will push him around. Novakovich is not ready for the physical play although one play he went up for a two handed jam in a crowd (was blocked) but I liked the aggressiveness. The skill set (two 3's)is there but he needs 15-20 lbs on him. Painter needs to be an interior physical presence for us because right now we do not have anyone.

2. I was expecting more from Mutts on the offensive side. Basing off of one viewing, I did not see anything that I would call a go to move; however, he can play defense. Has very fast hands and can get up (had a huge block in 1st half on a guy driving). Lamar Stevens, Penn St's 1st team Big10 forward and potential draft pick was held to 10 pts (4-10 shooting) and 5 boards. Mutts gave him fits all game. Perhaps we can get away with Mutts in the CAA playing down low.

3. Darling looked great...maybe a few forced shots but he was really our only offense. He will be fun to watch over the next 2 years.

4. Anderson looked good at times and out of control other times. As the main ball handler and PG, he cant play 35 minutes with 0 assist. He was also 0-5 from 3. He needs create more and hit those open 3's

5. McCoy and Asamoah - McCoy is further along and showed good hoop IQ. Asamoah has nice athleticism and length but raw.

6. Cushing seemed lost and unless we have injuries/foul trouble will probably not see many minutes.

If Allen is out at all this year and with his injury history, its possible, this team is in trouble. There is no real back to the basket player (assuming Painter will be) and outside of darling, no consistent perimeter threat.

With all that said, it was one game, pre-season against an underrated Big10 team IMO so I still feel good about team with a slight downgrade. If Allen can stay healthy and painter provides a physical post presence, its a different team

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:19 pm

If Painter isn’t much, much, much, much, much better than Goss and doesn’t have some kind of real inside presence on offense and defense, this team will struggle. Whoever thought Goss could be a big factor inside, well ... I question their eye sight and knowledge of the game of basketball. We’ll soon see what MI’s 4th season looks like. Hopefully he coaches like Chrissi has told him he is on the clock.

allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:50 am

Great summary Darthdave. I pretty much agree with all your assessments. A little concerning result, but not a time to overreact.

For us to contend for the CAA, I think we need Painter, Allen and Anderson to have big seasons. I'm already counting on Darling to have a huge season - he's the real deal,

I also think we need good contributions from our bench, not the least of which is Goss.

hoopster

Post by hoopster » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:29 am

Thanks for the update Darthdave.
GO BIG BLUE!

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:56 am

Hens79 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:19 pm
If Painter isn’t much, much, much, much, much better than Goss and doesn’t have some kind of real inside presence on offense and defense, this team will struggle. Whoever thought Goss could be a big factor inside, well ... I question their eye sight and knowledge of the game of basketball. We’ll soon see what MI’s 4th season looks like. Hopefully he coaches like Chrissi has told him he is on the clock.
Goss from the getgo was simply a slow 7 footer who was backup material. If he was talented, he would have played and succeeded at George Washington. Poor judgement or just the acceptance of weak frontline depth by MI and taking any scraps to fill the roster. I mean no disrespect to Collin who has made every effort to help our program and produced at a rate that was really expected from him. On paper, Painter better have it, or we are in deep(deeper) doo doo v any quality teams. Daly and Horton would have alllowed us to go after better big men earlier in MI's stint here.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:58 am

That's no disrespect? Tough crowd.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:03 am

Youdee Blues wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:58 am
That's no disrespect? Tough crowd.
just reality YDB, but no disrespect since he is a good kid and represented UD well, but simply is not talented enough. Nice outside shot, good bball IQ, but not athletic enough to control the interior v good size teams.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:57 am

Just got off the phone with Barb, cancelled my 2 spots for tomorrow's activities. Told her I give this program 1 week or I am cancelling my tixs!!! :roll: :roll:

The word I have used for Goss since last spring was serviceable. I saw improvement as the season went on. He was getting rid of that rust from 3 years of basically no Bball. Sound familiar??? I don't care who you go up against in practice...it's just that ..practice.
Always felt He would/should be part of the rotation this season.

Carl Baptiste looked like an AA in practice and his junior year was a little disappointing as he also had not played much in 3 years. By the end of his junior year, He was playing much better and we all know how his senior year went.

While there was no injustice, Painter will be further behind as He can't play until late December. I hope He comes in and is Ajmal Basit!!! I have my doubts. I think Painter will be a good player for us, I just don't feel it will be from Day 1 as most expect.

And I will NOT change my expectations based on an October scrimmage against Pedophile State University.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:44 am

tenn hen wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:56 am
Hens79 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:19 pm
Goss from the getgo was simply a slow 7 footer who was backup material. If he was talented, he would have played and succeeded at George Washington. Poor judgement or just the acceptance of weak frontline depth by MI and taking any scraps to fill the roster. I mean no disrespect to Collin who has made every effort to help our program and produced at a rate that was really expected from him. On paper, Painter better have it, or we are in deep(deeper) doo doo v any quality teams. Daly and Horton would have alllowed us to go after better big men earlier in MI's stint here.
Tenn,
Based on this coaching staff's great record for developing big men, don't be so quick to write this kid (Goss) off. I was at the CAA tournament last season and Goss provided real good minutes in a tough environment. I'm not saying that he will be a 1st team CAA player, but he has a role on this team. I agree with you that if Painter is not what we think he is, this team will be challenged to beat the top teams in the CAA.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:44 pm

Bluehens.com.........

"With the basketball season around the corner, both Delaware men’s and women’s teams played exhibition games against Penn State on Sunday. Transfer guard Nate Darling led the way for the men with 25 points, while redshirt junior guard Kayla Shaw poured in 25 of her own for the women."

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:02 pm

Goss is what he is...serviceable at best. If he's playing more then 8-10 minutes per game, this team will have real issues. As others have already stated the obvious, Painter will have to be very good for this team to have a legitimate shot at winning the CAA. I do think Mutts will be a presence, and Darling looks to be the real deal. I've never been overly impressed with Anderson. He forces things which results in way too many turnovers...and his shooting has never been good. And perhaps most disturbing is he looks disinterested much of the time. Even more reason why Allen will need to be healthy and productive. Still hoping 20 wins and a top 4 finish in the conference, but nothing coming out of the PSU scrimmage is giving me a warm and fuzzy. I suppose time will tell. Other than Nova, there is no one on the schedule who we shouldn't at least have a chance to play with, so that should help on the path to a 20-win season.

Jaxhen
UD Class: 0

Post by Jaxhen » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:56 am

Henzone wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:44 pm
Bluehens.com.........

"With the basketball season around the corner, both Delaware men’s and women’s teams played exhibition games against Penn State on Sunday. Transfer guard Nate Darling led the way for the men with 25 points, while redshirt junior guard Kayla Shaw poured in 25 of her own for the women."
I didn’t realize the women also scrimmaged against Penn State. Does anyone know what the score was?

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:13 pm

Penn State knocks off #4 Maryland.

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Udforever1 wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:13 pm
Penn State knocks off #4 Maryland.
Just coming here to post this. After watching Penn St manhandle us, I knew they were much better than the preseason rankings