Delaware Women

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Henzone

Re: Delaware Women

Post by Henzone » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 am

rooneyguy wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:03 am
My hopes for the WBB improving were certainly dashed last night against GW. Twenty turnovers and poor foul shooting were two of the problems, but there are more questions than answers. In what universe does Enabosi only get three FG attempts in 29 minutes? And what is the strategy in the substitution patterns for this squad? It is a mystery to me. And why keep the team in the locker room at half so long that they don't really get to shoot a few shots before the second half? It was clear to me that the GW coach had a game plan and got her players to execute it very well. On the other hand, ........
Kind of silly going for the coach's throat already just like football. The team is playing poorly and is totally out of whack. Enabosi was double and triple teamed all night . She didn't handle it well at all. The others just didn't step up either. Were they tired from the California trip or just aren't what you , I and everyone else who follows them expected? They have no consistent scorers and are floundering but keeping them from shooting a few warm up shots had little to do with their play. They stunk in the 1st half. Outcoached and outplayed ......long season ahead to prove their worth.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:08 am

I actually like the Womens Coach and still think she is going to get us where we want to go.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 am

I tend to disagree with your assessment about Adair -JMHO I see no real improvement over her tenure and the recruiting as we speak appears to have been a bit off. Lawrence's performance has really gone down as she lays little and is in need of minutes to restore her enthusiasm and confidence. The team seems to be helter skelter again on both O and D. I am in no way calling or suggesting that CA be removed.- I want that clearly understood. I only want success for the team and coach this season and down the road.

FYI based on Massey Woman's ratings

UD-229
Maine 214
Md 11
UCF 83
CSF 245
S CL 132
G. Webb 235
R Morris 152 GW 108
Char 89
G Mason 182

CAA

JMU 49
Drex 79
W&m 138
NE 162
Elon 218
Tow 219
UD 229
UNCW 258
C of C 276
Hof 318

a decently challenging OOC and a mediocre CAA at present to look forward to again.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Scott
UD Class: 0

Post by Scott » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:54 am

Don't kill me for posting anything positive about last night's game but...

I really liked the 2-3 zone that we began the game in. I think that Jasmine Dickey at one of the guard positions at the top of the zone with her athleticism and length will create issues for our opponents.

msbny

Post by msbny » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:52 am

This team looks lost . Not one returning player is showing improvement . As previously noted , the substitution pattern is not understandable . I was expecting a good season from this team and coach , but neither looks promising right now . Maybe a good outside shooter will help open up offensive opportunities . Losing to DSU was an embarrassment that will not go away . Time is getting close for this coach to turn this season around . It's been real hard to watch .

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:19 am

I think the evidence is obvious. Nicole is not 100% and she was on her way to be one of the elite Hens of all time. . And, she might not get back to that level in the near future or, at all. This year's team absolutely depends on her to succeed. The projected long range shooting help is either totally gone for the season (Kargo) or temporarily missing (Shaw). Gonzales is stepping up but she can't make up the deficit alone. Davenport is obviously not back from her year off and it's no secret her added weight and previous injury has made her an absolute non factor so far. She was a projected superstar by everyone who saw her in HS. That's 4 players who were expected to start & star and lead the way this season. The others are trying but none of them have the projected firepower we lost. Hard to show improvement when you're in a 40 minute fire drill every game.

I don't see this team pulling out of the freefall and meeting our expectations. Not sure even Pat Summitt could pull them out of it, I'm afraid.

rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:01 am

Henzone wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:19 am
I think the evidence is obvious. Nicole is not 100% and she was on her way to be one of the elite Hens of all time. . And, she might not get back to that level in the near future or, at all. This year's team absolutely depends on her to succeed. The projected long range shooting help is either totally gone for the season (Kargo) or temporarily missing (Shaw). Gonzales is stepping up but she can't make up the deficit alone. Davenport is obviously not back from her year off and it's no secret her added weight and previous injury has made her an absolute non factor so far. She was a projected superstar by everyone who saw her in HS. That's 4 players who were expected to start & star and lead the way this season. The others are trying but none of them have the projected firepower we lost. Hard to show improvement when you're in a 40 minute fire drill every game.

I don't see this team pulling out of the freefall and meeting our expectations. Not sure even Pat Summitt could pull them out of it, I'm afraid.
What is even more concerning to me is that the best players on this squad will be gone after this year (Enabosi, DeFreese, and Gonzales) and I don't see that the younger players are of similar quality. Are the transfers (Battle and Latimer) the future? If not, it doesn't look promising.

About Nicole: You might be right about where she is in her rehab from the injury, but that didn't seem like a factor when she scored 32 points in the previous game. GW just double and triple teamed her to the extent that she had only 3 FG attempts in 29 minutes and that also created turnovers for them as the Hens just continued to try to get the ball to her. If the Hens could effectively score from outside, that might force the other team to adjust defensively -- but only Gonzales presents that threat now. And, if she moves to the #2 position to enable her to get more shots (which is her natural position) then who plays PG? I also agree that there is some bad luck involved here with the injuries, but it appears that the coaching staff is still trying to figure out what plan B might be. IMHO, they need to identify which 8-9 players are going to play and get them used to playing as a unit. 11 players should only be used when the outcome of a game is no longer in doubt -- not in the kind of game that they had with GW. At this point, that seems like job #1. It should not be too difficult for the coaches to figure out which 2-3 players will primarily be residing on the bench.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:01 pm

rooney- As you should certainly know by now, I'm not one to immediately jump on the coaches in any sport when the players don't produce.
Forget about the future, this season has just started and there's a lot of miles to run still.

Nicole shared this week she does not have the quickness she had in the past....YET! I suggest in the past she might have even beaten that double or smartly passed off but I think she was determined to take the ball to the hoop since she was successful in the previous game. She simply had a bad game.

I do think Johnson is the answer at the point but like you I question the minutes others get. McBride's not doing much for me and unfortunately Oleary is one hard worker but I haven't seen the speed or the talent to justify her time on the floor either.

Is Coach panicking a bit now with all the substitutions ? Maybe or just hoping to see a little light flash on in the tunnel. DeFreeze & Lawrence are seniors who aren't playing like seniors and Dickey has been inconsistent.

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Certainly agree the teams struggles are a combination of factors. Although there are others that show flashes, the offense will not get totally on track till they can spread the floor and that means Shaw since Kargo is out.

Getting Tee on their 3 pt. shooter was a big help vs GW but a little late. Lesson learned hopefully.
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19