Jacob Cushing

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Jacob Cushing

Post by UDHoops » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:51 pm

Does anyone know why Cushing has been left out of the rotation recently? Is he hurt? Every time he’s in there, he looks like he does things right. Good 3 and D type player. Is it because of McCoy’s breakout recently maybe?

finpxz1

Re: Jacob Cushing

Post by finpxz1 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:31 pm

I've been asking the same question for the past 2 years. Not sure what he did to get in MI's doghouse, but it would appear he is firmly entrenched in it. Again, not saying he's a superstar, but he seems like a hardworking kid who has some good size and can actually hit an open 3. I'm guessing now with Painter finally eligible he will be even further down the depth chart.

Henweigh
UD Class: 0

Post by Henweigh » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Is there someone on the floor that you'd like to take minutes away from?
Keepin' it real.

hentraps
UD Class: 2016

Post by hentraps » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Henweigh wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:45 pm
Is there someone on the floor that you'd like to take minutes away from?

I don't think it's a matter of "taking minutes away" from guys as opposed to having him come in for when starters need a break here and there. I understand wanting to get guys like McCoy and Asamoah valuable playing time but Cushing can contribute just as much if not more than both of them. Big body, can defend/rebound, shoot from outside. The kid can play.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Just a guess but thinking MI wants his 8 or 9 man to give some minutes to spell a starter, not break down defensively or turn the ball over. At the GW game Cushing got in and turned it over and didn’t see the court the rest of the game.

McCoy played 28 mins last night with 0 turnovers, in fact he has 2 turnovers in 180+ mins on the season. He knows his role and does it plus plays good man to man D

UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:22 pm

darthdave wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:18 pm
Just a guess but thinking MI wants his 8 or 9 man to give some minutes to spell a starter, not break down defensively or turn the ball over. At the GW game Cushing got in and turned it over and didn’t see the court the rest of the game.

McCoy played 28 mins last night with 0 turnovers, in fact he has 2 turnovers in 180+ mins on the season. He knows his role and does it plus plays good man to man D
McCoy has been very impressive. And I guess Asamoah has more athleticism to him on the defensive side. I guess it’s a good problem to have - to not have enough minutes all around for everyone

East Coaster
UD Class: 1900

Post by East Coaster » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:41 am

The player that is subbing ahead of him is freshman Novakovitch, and he does not appear at this point to be better than Senior Cushing, so it is a mystery as to why Cushing is getting no time.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:21 pm

10-2 and we're being picky on the sub pattern of the coach? Seriously?

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:57 pm

East Coaster wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:41 am
The player that is subbing ahead of him is freshman Novakovitch, and he does not appear at this point to be better than Senior Cushing, so it is a mystery as to why Cushing is getting no time.
I could not disagree more.

Novakovich has outstanding footwork for his size on the defensive side of things. Boxes out pretty well. Strength still an issue but he keeps his defender in front of him. He has a nice 3 pt shot and let's be real, He is part of the future for the Hens.

About Cushing, I feel for this kid. His career may have been taken from him. But He choose to stay and if I were him or his father......He would have NEVER stayed @UD but He did and I give him credit for that.

A few weeks back during the Stonybrook game, the resident poster who I now believe thinks UD had something to do with the Kennedy Assassination, as he believes we should have gone to the Supreme Court to get Painter eligible or atleast drop a note to ESPN??? :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: Please we would have been laughed(IMHO) at if such a thing was done, posted how great Cushing was in the 1st half. I admit, it was a positive 3 minutes. His complaint following the game was that Cushing should have played more in the 2nd half. Fair enough. BUT, 2 nights later vs UMES, Cushing enters in the 1st half and his 1st half highlite was a banked 3. Missed a breakaway lay up, on a fastreak thru a ball into the 3rd row and in another had a pass go right off his hands. For that he was rewarded with 2nd half play :roll: :roll: so with the Hens up 16, he enters, less than 2-3 minutes later it's a 4 point game. Not all his fault and maybe a coincidence but those are the facts.

But,
let's look at our front court rotation:

2 positions with 80 minutes a game available.
Mutts and Painter should get the lions share of those minutes, 25-30 a game each. That leaves 20-30 minutes a game but i believe there will be games those 2 play more. So who gets the other minutes:

Goss? Without a bleeping doubt that guy has EARNED 10-15 minutes of those a night, everynight!!! That might leave 15 minutes more, less on some nights, Novakovich would be next in line for minutes as he has played well enough and these will also be developmental minutes for his future.
There's not enough minutes for a 5 man rotation.

I feel bad for Cushing that his career has not gone as planned but He will do well with his degree from UD.

That's my 4 player rotation as it relates to the frontcourt.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:21 pm
10-2 and we're being picky on the sub pattern of the coach? Seriously?
No one is picking on the coach...just fans on a message board curious as to why Cushing has been moved completely out of the rotation. I don't think anyone is calling for extended minutes for Jake, but he seems like a good kid, with nice size, and a pretty decent 3 who is probably more game-ready at this point than Novakovich. Regardless, with Painter now fully in the mix, he, Mutts, and Goss will obviously get the majority of the post minutes anyway. We are probably only talking about 10-15 minutes per game between Aleks and Jake.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:17 pm

Cushing was the only scholly player who didn't get to play vs. DSU. I believe he deserved a few minutes.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:08 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:17 pm
Cushing was the only scholly player who didn't get to play vs. DSU. I believe he deserved a few minutes.
With all due respect, this isn’t CYO (no offense Pat). Not everyone plays. Like Pat said above, to Cushing’s credit he has stuck it out here, and he should be commended for that.

While Cushing appears to be able to shoot better than McCoy and Asamoah (not sure about Novakovich), both of those guys probably bring a bit more all around. This entire team besides Goss and Cushing return next year, and if the upperclassman and underclassman are even or close to it, I’m playing the underclassman.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Jake is behind Painter, Mutts, Goss and Novakovich.

McCoy and Asamoah are behind Anderson, Darling and Allen

McCoy and Asamoah are not taking Cushings minutes.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:34 pm

finpxz1 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:16 pm

No one is picking on the coach...just fans on a message board curious as to why Cushing has been moved completely out of the rotation.
So, the coach doesn't decide who goes in and who goes out? Yes, by questioning the kid's minutes you are questioning the coach.

allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm going to give the coach the benefit of the doubt on this one. Do I see the kid play day in and day out like coach does? No. I'll defer judgement.