Jacob Cushing

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Re: Jacob Cushing

Post by UDHoops » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:57 pm

:)

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:59 pm

Novakovich was struggling ,then suffered a (foot?) stress fracture, and Ingesby had almost no choice but to give Cushing some minutes. So Cushing wins one game and features prominelty in another win with one basket (on his only shot) and blocks a shot late in the game. What do those of us who were advocating in Dec for Cushing to get some minutes hear from the Basketball experts (you know who you are) here (they probably have forgotten more about Basketball than I'll ever know) who did not agree that Cushing should get some minutes? Complete silence :P I do see Darth Dave's subsequent post about Cushing but no admission that maybe we were right and he and others were wrong about Cushing.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:59 pm
Novakovich was struggling ,then suffered a (foot?) stress fracture, and Ingesby had almost no choice but to give Cushing some minutes. So Cushing wins one game and features prominelty in another win with one basket (on his only shot) and blocks a shot late in the game. What do those of us who were advocating in Dec for Cushing to get some minutes hear from the Basketball experts (you know who you are) here (they probably have forgotten more about Basketball than I'll ever know) who did not agree that Cushing should get some minutes? Complete silence :P I do see Darth Dave's subsequent post about Cushing but no admission that maybe we were right and he and others were wrong about Cushing.
Bill, did you just remember your password?

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:10 am

I actually spoke with Novakovich after the Drexel game. Starting to do some light workouts and may be 2 weeks or so away.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 am

Cushing has toughed it out on the bench and come through when he finally hit the floor in the last few games. His stats are good and he has been solid on the floor. He simply needed to gain some confidence and finally get a few minutes. He's no superstar, but he can be effective as we've seen. I was surprised he never transfered out, but he must enjoy the total UD experience.

My hat's off to you Jacob enjoy the remainder of your senior season and good luck you might even get to the Big Dance :wink:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:36 pm

Udforever1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 pm
BlueHenBill wrote:
Oh God it appears He did just find his password.

Nobody was right or wrong. The few minutes that were available were being given to a promising redshirt freshmen who apparently earned those minutes and did NOTHING to lose those minutes except get hurt. Now I think Cushing has been OK and done some nice things but if you don't lose your spot to injury, than I go right back to Novakovich.

Nobody ever said Cushing couldn't play but but if you want to run it like a CYM program( Sorry Coach, :wink: ) than everybody plays. Thank God this isn't being run lime a CYM program.

Let's not get carried away with the few good things Cushing has done. I wish all the best for this kid. He has done a nice job with this opportunity that became available to him.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:41 pm

UDPat wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:36 pm
Udforever1 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:42 pm
BlueHenBill wrote:
Oh God it appears He did just find his password.

Nobody was right or wrong. The few minutes that were available were being given to a promising redshirt freshmen who apparently earned those minutes and did NOTHING to lose those minutes except get hurt. Now I think Cushing has been OK and done some nice things but if you don't lose your spot to injury, than I go right back to Novakovich.

Nobody ever said Cushing couldn't play but but if you want to run it like a CYM program( Sorry Coach, :wink: ) than everybody plays. Thank God this isn't being run lime a CYM program.

Let's not get carried away with the few good things Cushing has done. I wish all the best for this kid. He has done a nice job with this opportunity that became available to him.
Novakovich should NOT take playing time away from Cushing unless Cushing fails to perform at the level that he has. Cushing has played in 16 minutes more than Novakovich. Cushing has scored 17 more points than Novakovich with per game scoring averaging 2.8 vs. 1.9. Cushing is shooting 42.3 % from three vs. 25% for Novakovich. Overall FG % are 48.6 vs. 35.5. FTs Cushing is only 1 for 2 (50% ) vs. 4 for 5 (80%) for Novakovich. Cushing averages 1.5 Rebounds per game vs. 1.4 for Novakovich. Cushing has 6 PF to Novakovich's 20. Cushing has 4 assists to Novakovich's 3. Cushing has 8 turnovers to Novakovich's 3. Cushing has 8 steals to Novakovich's 3. Cushing has 2 blocks to Novakovich's 1. Overall, Cushing has been a significantly better player statistically than Novakovich. Cushing has come up big in key moments late in CAA games (game winning three & baskets & a block late in 1 or 2 other recent CAAA games. Cushing is a fifth year senior who has overcome a lot of adversity to be where he is today. Novakovich is a FR redshirt who should have many opportunities over the next 3 seasons. I am not saying that Novakovich shouldn't get any minutes, just that Cushing should get more.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 pm

I have some questions on your math. Is 8 turnovers really statistically better than 3? Is a 50% free throw shooter statistically better than an 80% free throw shooter? Is 2.8 points per game versus 1.9 statistically significant in the grand scheme of college basketball? Are 9 minutes per game players really something to get all worked up about?
And finally, where is it that you finally found your password?

hentraps
UD Class: 2016

Post by hentraps » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:28 pm

At the end of the day, Cushing should be getting more minutes than Novakovich (when he's healthy) and I honestly don't understand how that's even up for debate. Jacob is the better overall player at the moment and he's earned the right to be the 1st guy off the bench in my opinion.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:19 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 pm
I have some questions on your math. Is 8 turnovers really statistically better than 3? Is a 50% free throw shooter statistically better than an 80% free throw shooter? Is 2.8 points per game versus 1.9 statistically significant in the grand scheme of college basketball? Are 9 minutes per game players really something to get all worked up about?
Agree 100% Thx for the voice of reason.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:22 pm

Jacob played extended minutes yesterday. Thought he did some good things...made a nice move at end of game to find Anderson. With that said, need to hit at least 1 of those 4 three pointers.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:34 pm

Cushing got minutes early in the season and had they looked like the minutes he’s played the past month the substitution pattern may have been different. To Jakes credit he was ready when his number was called again.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:08 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 pm
Of course you picked the few stats that favored Novakovich and ignored the much larger number that favored Cushing. I presented all of the stats in the interests of total honesty. Look at the 3 Point & Total FG % (though both are undoubtedly down for Cushing after his performance vs, JMU), FTs, PFs, & steals. Then factor in how Cushing has come up big in a couple of recent games and is a 5th year senior (versus Redshirt FR Novakovich) who has overcome some major adversity. It is a no brainer UNLESS Cushing's play drops and Novakovich's play rises above Cushing's play. Nice cherry picking of stats though. :roll: