UNCW

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
gohens9113
UD Class: 2015

Re: UNCW

Post by gohens9113 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:32 pm

UDPat wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:24 pm
Hen90 wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:24 am
darthdave wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:06 am
Looking to see some improved play on defense. I like when MI mixes in McCoy/Asamoah with the scorers...they both play great D and with so many weapons on offense, we can afford to have a guy out there who is focused on D. Hopefully Painter bounces back and we see a guy who will give us 8-10 pts game and 6-8 boards. It was great seeing his play against DSU but I kept looking at who was guarding him (a 6'8 thin post player followed by his backup, a 6'6 guy thin guy) and felt that game was not a true indicator. I did not see nor listen to the LIU game so no idea what happened there other than boxscore (turnovers/fouls). Imagine as season wears on, he will become more comfortable and get better each week.
Dave, I completely agree on both counts. I love the defensive energy that McCoy and Asamaoah bring. One thing I’ll add to your point is that we haven’t seen a lot of offense from them only because that’s not their role. They understand their role and play it well. I’ve seen some nice glimpses though - they’ll hit the wide open three when they need to and have created offense when needed. The future is bright for those two. Same with Novakovich; he’s got a nice stroke and it will come together for him. With some extra weight and tutelage from Phillips, expect big things from him by his junior year.

I continue to expect good things from Painter and believe we’ll all be very glad to have both Goss and Painter when we match up against William and Mary’s Knight and Van Vliet.
Very good stuff, The only thing I will add is that I think Painter is right in the middle of what we saw in 2 games. Not as great as Del St but not nearly as bad as LIU. The combo of him and Goss will work pretty well in the CAA.

This is the 1st of the 18 most important games of the season. Very excited and as of now......I will be in attendance.
I’d agree with that as well. Think having more of a showy, power guy in painter and then Goss with more finesse and a refined skill set makes for a formidable duo in conference play

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:10 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:49 pm
Game is on NBC SPORTS Philadelphia
So what's your point?!?!? :D :D :D
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Crowd turnout wasn’t great but it was better than it has been; 2,000 is my guess.

Yeah it’s a Monday night but it’s a big home game and no FBS playoff game to go against. Hopefully the community will take interest.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:27 pm

Nice win...game was never really in doubt, although we did get a bit sloppy the last 10 minutes. Clearly this team has talent, and the addition of Painter gives us even more depth. I do worry just a bit about leadership. Doesn't seem like we have a "Go-to" guy who can be counted on to lead when things get tough. Hopefully someone will step forward...feels like both Mutts and Painter might have that ability, but time will tell. Other than that, it's hard not to be excited. Charleston will be a good test Monday night. Really need to defend our home court.

On a side note, how good are the odds makers??? The Hens win by 14 to cover the 12-point spread, but UNCW misses a meaningless 3-pointer in the last few seconds that would have resulted in them covering. Just amazing how good these guys are…

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:45 am

Very nice start to the CAA season.

When the game was out of control, McCoy, Ebby and Novakovich were all put on the floor together with the lead at 26. Good quality minutes for these guys to use to grow. That's when UNCW began their comeback and things got a little sloppy. As stated, the game was never in doubt.

I think Darling is/will be that go to guy......but I understand exactly what you are saying, one night it's Mutts, next it's Allen and than Anderson goes off. I am hoping that is to our advantage and that they all don't go cold on the same night. :shock:

Painter??? I hope I see some improvement in his interior D, cause last night it was below average. Everyone gets excited with dunks, but D wins championships. I said someone was NOT just going to hand over his starting spot and right now, that guy STILL deserves(has earned) to remain our starting big man. That could change but right now the starting 5 are the 5 that should be starting.

Watched most of the Drexel/Charleston game, gonna be fun at the BOB Monday night!!! Hope I will be able to attend!!!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:56 am

Henny wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:10 pm
HENJOHN wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:49 pm
Game is on NBC SPORTS Philadelphia
So what's your point?!?!? :D :D :D
Ahhhhhh man. Come on Hendoo
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:17 am

Good win against a bad team that will finish last in the CAA.

Regarding Goss and Painter, it is good Goss is playing better than last year. He has improved and is a serviceable big man in the CAA. About a 15-20 minute guy. We have likely seen his best. I still think Painter will get more minutes as the season goes on and it will make the team better. Need another inside scoring option, especially when the 3s aren’t falling.

Monday will be a good test. Need to be 2-0 to start the CAA just because a home sweep is good but to also make more fans believe.

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:35 am

jd of de wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:42 pm
Crowd turnout wasn’t great but it was better than it has been; 2,000 is my guess.

Yeah it’s a Monday night but it’s a big home game and no FBS playoff game to go against. Hopefully the community will take interest.
Official attendance was 2,101. A little more of a buzz than usual and It will grow as this team continues to get Ws. That's the way it works around here, just a little delay as the momentum picks up.
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:20 am

LSU's early beat down of Oklahoma allowed me to watch the entire UD game. I was happy to see us pick up another W against a young NCW team with future potential in the coming years. I agree with many of the earlier posts that we have a great opportunity playing in the CAA to possibly get to the Big Dance.

a few thoughts- Freshmen M and A's talents appear to be genuine. I really like their future here. I'm wondering about Painter's( wish he had received more minutes last night) skill set besides dunks, though Goss and P fill the 5 acceptably. Darling's ball handling is suspect. He needs to be much more careful and protective of the rock and needs to be on target early in games not just in the latter stages of games. Mutts is a great get and tough as nails though the fouling issue remains. Allen is solid and Anderson is looking much improved this season.

Now we'll see how this all plays out and if the team improves through the season with it's execution and consistency. I'm enjoying the games this season and hope it continues.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:31 pm

Picture this scenario for all you ballers:

You get to choose your team in a pickup game. You have Painter and Goss sitting there as bigs. Who do you choose?

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:43 am

allteamball wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:31 pm
Picture this scenario for all you ballers:

You get to choose your team in a pickup game. You have Painter and Goss sitting there as bigs. Who do you choose?
The one that compliments the guys I picked before them. You don’t pick either first to build your team around. Painter adds to your offensive, Goss is better than Painter defensively and the better passer. That’s why you see Goss on the floor more with Anderson, Allen and Darling all in with Goss and Painter in the game when one or two of them take a breather.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:12 am

tenn hen wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:20 am
LSU's early beat down of Oklahoma allowed me to watch the entire UD game. I was happy to see us pick up another W against a young NCW team with future potential in the coming years. I agree with many of the earlier posts that we have a great opportunity playing in the CAA to possibly get to the Big Dance.

a few thoughts- Freshmen M and A's talents appear to be genuine. I really like their future here. I'm wondering about Painter's( wish he had received more minutes last night) skill set besides dunks, though Goss and P fill the 5 acceptably. Darling's ball handling is suspect. He needs to be much more careful and protective of the rock and needs to be on target early in games not just in the latter stages of games. Mutts is a great get and tough as nails though the fouling issue remains. Allen is solid and Anderson is looking much improved this season.

Now we'll see how this all plays out and if the team improves through the season with it's execution and consistency. I'm enjoying the games this season and hope it continues.
Painter has played 3 games the last two and a half years. It’s going to take some time for him to shake the rust off.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:41 am

As Pat stated earlier, Painter was beaten easily at least twice in the post by a UNCW freshman. His D needs to shore up IMO as we have the offense already. I’m sure Phillips is working with him on this and we will see improvement as the season wears on.

One guy that I feel has stepped up his game is KA. Shooting has been great due to not forcing anything, good D, good passing.

Info Hound

Post by Info Hound » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:30 am

darthdave wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:41 am
One guy that I feel has stepped up his game is KA. Shooting has been great due to not forcing anything, good D, good passing.

Good point, Dave. From tonight's game notes:

Anderson heating up From Three

Kevin Anderson shot 34.2 percent from three-point
range during his first two seasons, but is shooting 42.9
percent (18 of 42) from deep this season, the eighth
highest percentage in the CAA