All-Time Blue Hens men's hoops Top 50

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
ktres
UD Class: 1980

All-Time Blue Hens men's hoops Top 50

Post by ktres » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:21 am

We had a great response to our Top 100 all-time UD football players rankings late last summer so I'm putting together a similar Top 50 list to herald Delaware men's basketball greats. If anyone cares to share their Top 10 or 15 or 20 rankings, feel free to email me at ktresolini@delawareonline.com. Hope to run this sometime in next couple weeks in The News Journal and delawareonline.com, where it will only be accessible with a subscription, like all UD sports content. Thanx all. Enjoyed seeing some of the lists fans sent for football, which were very valuable in cranking out that list.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Re: All-Time Blue Hens men's hoops Top 50

Post by tenn hen » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:52 am

ktres wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:21 am
We had a great response to our Top 100 all-time UD football players rankings late last summer so I'm putting together a similar Top 50 list to herald Delaware men's basketball greats. If anyone cares to share their Top 10 or 15 or 20 rankings, feel free to email me at ktresolini@delawareonline.com. Hope to run this sometime in next couple weeks in The News Journal and delawareonline.com, where it will only be accessible with a subscription, like all UD sports content. Thanx all. Enjoyed seeing some of the lists fans sent for football, which were very valuable in cranking out that list.
dreams of Yesterday rather than dreams of Today- has it really been accepted that UD football and basketball are only dreams of the past? The timing of this appears to mask the present decline in the W's recently this season by our 2 bball teams(2-5 with the wins over 2 cupcakes). What about the ladies top 20??????? PC is certainly important for our university.

The "subscriber only" for UD sports will further increase the lack of interest in UD sports-just the opposite of what is needed! Of well, small time UD sports mindset that bodes poorly for increased revenue and name recognition that UD wants to increase. We gave 60 million to the construction project. Ya think UD could throw some coin in to promote our athletics??
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Henweigh
UD Class: 0

Post by Henweigh » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:19 am

Supposedly gave to a $60 million project yet won't fork out 50 bucks per year to keep the local paper in operation. Gotta love it. :roll:

Anyway, I'll toss my list to Kevin this week.
Keepin' it real.

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:19 pm

tenn hen wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:52 am
ktres wrote:
dreams of Yesterday rather than dreams of Today- has it really been accepted that UD football and basketball are only dreams of the past? The timing of this appears to mask the present decline in the W's recently this season by our 2 bball teams(2-5 with the wins over 2 cupcakes). What about the ladies top 20??????? PC is certainly important for our university.

The "subscriber only" for UD sports will further increase the lack of interest in UD sports-just the opposite of what is needed! Of well, small time UD sports mindset that bodes poorly for increased revenue and name recognition that UD wants to increase. We gave 60 million to the construction project. Ya think UD could throw some coin in to promote our athletics??
$25 million of the $60 million was thrown in by UD. Kevin Tresolini is a good guy and a great writer. Yet you accuse him of masking a few losses by doing his job in creating interesting articles to promote UD and more importantly the News Journal/ Delaware Online.
You are a piece of work. Go out on your back forty to trim trees and gather brush to clear your head.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:41 pm

mpwerrell wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:19 pm
tenn hen wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:52 am
ktres wrote:

$25 million of the $60 million was thrown in by UD. Kevin Tresolini is a good guy and a great writer. Yet you accuse him of masking a few losses by doing his job in creating interesting articles to promote UD and more importantly the News Journal/ Delaware Online.
You are a piece of work. Go out on your back forty to trim trees and gather brush to clear your head.
+1.

hens4life

Post by hens4life » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:22 pm

50??? That's some work finding 50! LOLZ 8)

Henway

Post by Henway » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:11 pm

What happened to Tenn Hen's classy post. Inquiring minds want to know. Asking for a friend...... :shock: :wink:

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:35 pm

seems the insiders managed to remove(delete) my straight forward post. Was it because it implied the truth about those jerks?? Maybe they got their circle together :lol: :lol: I've seen loads of posts that were far more risque than mine( not one cuss word). The legends in their own minds give it out when someone questions the party line, but can't take it when others question them. They band together like banshees and send out the attack squadrons a la Senator Joe McCarthy and his crew- a pathetic, insecure, egomaniac who has become a case study in lies and innuendo .You comrades can't see the forest for the trees. The results of our team's play is unacceptable. bless your souls you should know better!!!

lay off your insinuations and lies. For example, Henway- I cancelled my subscription for the delawareonlne because it didn't provide anything of value in my estimation that I couldn't read anywhere else, and I gave $2,500 both in 2017 and again in 2018(total $5,000) for the construction project- OK???? Now I challenge you guys to list your contributions. come on, put up or shut up big shots. Real Blue Hen supporters open their wallets. prove you are one.

I dislike being falsely attacked and won't be manipulated or back off even from a short fat guy(HZ) as he claimed in a post which seems to have disappeared or been deleted by ? Ironically, I thanked him for some information he posted yesterday. Buddy you won't get any more thanks from me, though I'm sure all your pm friends will continue to praise you.

Cut out the bs and be civil

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:16 pm

tenn hen wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:35 pm
seems the insiders managed to remove(delete) my straight forward post. Was it because it implied the truth about those jerks?? Maybe they got their circle together :lol: :lol: I've seen loads of posts that were far more risque than mine( not one cuss word). The legends in their own minds give it out when someone questions the party line, but can't take it when others question them. They band together like banshees and send out the attack squadrons a la Senator Joe McCarthy and his crew- a pathetic, insecure, egomaniac who has become a case study in lies and innuendo .You comrades can't see the forest for the trees. The results of our team's play is unacceptable. bless your souls you should know better!!!

lay off your insinuations and lies. For example, Henway- I cancelled my subscription for the delawareonlne because it didn't provide anything of value in my estimation that I couldn't read anywhere else, and I gave $2,500 both in 2017 and again in 2018(total $5,000) for the construction project- OK???? Now I challenge you guys to list your contributions. come on, put up or shut up big shots. Real Blue Hen supporters open their wallets. prove you are one.

I dislike being falsely attacked and won't be manipulated or back off even from a short fat guy(HZ) as he claimed in a post which seems to have disappeared or been deleted by ? Ironically, I thanked him for some information he posted yesterday. Buddy you won't get any more thanks from me, though I'm sure all your pm friends will continue to praise you.

Perhaps you should take your own advice after that slam of Tresolini.
Perhaps you should do some research before asking UD to throw some coin
Perhaps you should show some humbleness. We don’t need a pissing contest about how much we contribute.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:37 pm

Saddler and Pegues have to be at the top of the list. I might give Devon a slight edge just based on the fact that he played in the CAA vs the America East, but both were tremendous players...kind of a 1A and 1B. After those 2, you could probably group the next 5 to 10 guys together...players like Greg Smith, Ken Luck, Alex Coles, Spencer Dunkley, Mark Murray, Harding Nana, Jawan Carter, Jamelle Hagins, Oscar Jones for example. Usher and Bassett were 2 of the greatest players we ever had, but hard to put them in the top 10 given they each only played one season. Threatt had the potential to be towards the top of the list, but ended up making some poor choices which cut his career short. Kyle Anderson was a great shooter, but in my opinion, John Gordon was the greatest 3-point shooter ever to play for the Hens. I know I'm missing some names, but those were just some of the guys who came immediately to mind.

Hen90
UD Class: 1990

Post by Hen90 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:56 pm

My top 15:

Devon Saddler
Mike Pegues
Ken Luck
Spencer Dunkley
Taurence Chisholm
Harding Nana
Alex Coles
Jawan Carter
Greg Smith
Mark Murray
Brian Pearl
Mike Ames
Jamelle Hagins
Mike Slattery
Kyle Anderson
Anthony Wright

I wanted to put Davon Usher on the list but felt it was hard with only one season. I’ve heard great things about players like Nate Cloud and Dave Sysco but they were before my time.

Tres., thank you for the admirable job you do with ever diminishing resources.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 am

Kevin- On the older guys:

Cloud & Sysko are certainly at the top of any list. Also my old coach Frank Wickes deserves a spot . He spent hours trying to teach me how to shoot in HS.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:10 am

My top 15-

M Pegues
W Fengler
N Cloud
Bernie Lane
Lee Swayze
K Luck
A Coles
S Dunkley
B Pearl
A Wright
M Ames
K Marciolonis
G Smith
J Gordon
D Saddler

Coach- Mike Brey
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

hens4life

Post by hens4life » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:50 am

Mike Brey Era

Mike Pegues
Greg Miller
Billy Wells
John Gordon
Tyrone Perry
Kestutis Marciulionis
Mike Ames
Mike Slattery

6th man - Ryan Iverson (Minn FB Transfer) - LOVED the energy he brought off the bench!

tenn hen

Post by tenn hen » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:19 am

OK- here are the facts(" a thing that is") to some of you attack guys:
Henweigh wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:19 am
Supposedly gave to a $60 million project yet won't fork out 50 bucks per year to keep the local paper in operation. Gotta love it. :roll:

Anyway, I'll toss my list to Kevin this week.
response-a) I listed my contribution #s not for approval, but to point out a fact that was disputed by you HW based on no facts- just innuendo!
b) the subscription comment is ludicrous -I contribute to many charities every year. delaware online is not one of them.

[/quote]

[/quote] mpwerrel

response-
a) I read EVERY POST on our board-no ignores- and all the UD athletics articles so I was aware of the 25M UD dollars to the project. It was unfortunate that UD could not raise the entire amount from other sources like alumni, businesses, etc. My reference to UD to " promote" all of our teams clearly implied investing in any type of social media.
b) I made no reference to KT (who has done a fine job continually over the years with the limited resources available to him and is personally a great guy. I accused him of nothing though you twisted my comment towards your negative agenda - me personally- what are you afraid of???
c) My head is clear, and I love the outdoors and yep- it is worthwhile and rewarding to accomplish a work goal rather to sit idly.
mpwerrell wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:16 pm
tenn hen wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:35 pm

mpwerrel
Perhaps you should take your own advice after that slam of Tresolini.
Perhaps you should do some research before asking UD to throw some coin
Perhaps you should show some humbleness. We don’t need a pissing contest about how much we contribute.
response-
a) KT- see above - no personal slam!
b)research- see above - did it!
c)humbleness- see above- no bragging- just pointing out that my contribution is one example of my loyalty and love for my school and our sports teams. My challenge that others list their amounts was probably in bad taste, but I had a bad taste in my mouth from your self righteous and false accusations about fan loyalty.

don't look for the negatives and be civil