James Madison

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Re: James Madison

Post by darthdave » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:46 am

Glad to see we won. I was at an event and could not watch but I did slip away for a few minutes during 2nd half to watch on my phone. We were up 61-54 I believe and wow, what a bad stretch of basketball I caught. Want to say we had 3 straight turnovers and a missed 3.

Darling and Allen still in a shooting slump..:the fact we won is encouraging. Once these guys break out, I think we will start to see a dominant team.

Loved seeing Painter stats...I’m a huge post guy fan.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:14 pm

darthdave wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:46 am
Glad to see we won. I was at an event and could not watch but I did slip away for a few minutes during 2nd half to watch on my phone. We were up 61-54 I believe and wow, what a bad stretch of basketball I caught. Want to say we had 3 straight turnovers and a missed 3.

Darling and Allen still in a shooting slump..:the fact we won is encouraging. Once these guys break out, I think we will start to see a dominant team.

Loved seeing Painter stats...I’m a huge post guy fan.
That whole stretch was some of our worst offensively. By my count we had 3 turnovers and 5 missed shots in 8 consecutive possessions. JMU was only slightly better thank god and that was their big opportunity lost in the game.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:51 pm

watched the entire game and was pleased we got the W. I credit Anderson's two threes as the 1st half ended(not to mention his 3 as the game was in jeopardy right at the end) to our victory. When he is wide open and relaxed, he can drain that shot at a high %. Painter's effort and strength was great to see, but his TOs are an issue. Darling's 6 assists were crucial. JMU did not impress me as they played playground ball. We'll need more consistent play against the better teams in the CAA. There is a good chance our guys can tighten their play and uptempo a bit more to allow their 1 v 1 skills to shine.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:09 pm

As was explained before the season started, Painter still has a lot of rust to get rid of. 3 years is a long time with almost no game time. He is starting to shake some of it but a great point by the JMU announcers about how He followed up his 1st big game with a goose egg. We just need more consistency from him not necessarily 23/10 but that would be nice.

His turnovers are alarming, In 300 less minutes(7.5 games) He has only 1 less turnover than Goss. Now the talk He needs 30+ minutes a game. That's on him!!! He's been in foul trouble a few times already. That will be a key moving forward.

I hate missing Towson in person tomorrow but I plan on watching and the plan is to have a 1st time watcher of Hens Hoops!!! I plan on holding and explaining the game to little Evie!!!!!! 5 days old is NOT too soon to be exposed. Plus her mom had game growing up and her father is 6'4' with a 6'6' brother. My daughter has already promised that if Evie wants to play the game, she will learn form the best!!! Me :wink:
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Holy Cow .... Painter just turned in turned in a dominating 23/10 performance and his play is being dissected like I have never seen on here. The positives out weigh the negatives ... like it’s not even close . And it was in only his 6th Game playing in a few years. If all the rust gets knocked off, watch out!

I know folks heavily invested in the thought that Painter would have to knock off a lot of rust, would only be a 10 and 8 guy, the team really didn’t need a lot from him, Goss has improved and deserves to play more ... etc ..... etc .... but get a grip and get back to reality.

Sure Painter is knocking off the rust, but he can do things no one in the low post has done at UD in years, let alone Goss. And regarding turnovers, yeah ... 6 isn’t good but that that was one game and almost half of this years small sample size totals. My bet is in knocking off rust, that total won’t be the norm even though it was really his first game getting consistently doubled down low (how could JMU or any team from now on not?) And he will get more comfortable passing to open 3 point shooters now that he demands a double. Hopefully, Darling and Allen can start making them more regularly. The defenses have recently caught on and haven’t been allowing as many open looks. Of course, the completion is also better, or at least more athletic than most of the OOC and that pitiful UNCW team, so open threes aren’t as easy to come buy.

The inside out game just isn’t possible with Goss. And really it isn’t with Mutts now that the Hens are playing better teams. And it would really help to advance in the CAA tourney.

Anyway, Painter looking like a stud and a major inside presence is only a good thing. The better he is, the better the chance for the Hens to get to the CAA championship game. They won’t have just live or die by the 3.

allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Post by allteamball » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:02 pm

Couldn't agree with you more 79. Great post. Starting Painter in the second half was a game changer for the Hens. His impact on the game last night should not be minimized. His presence on the offense and defensive end is what this team needed and what will need going forward if they hope to win the CAA. The JMU announcers even raving about Painter's impact.

He is a rim protector and low post presence. I like Goss and the way he has improved - but it is night and day between Goss and Painter....not even close.

Look for Painter to continue to improve as he gets any remaining rust off and he works more with coach Phillips.